Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drive complaint - NTA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I always thought they didn't have to accept the fare until you actually sat in the car?

Exactly.
    A driver cannot refuse you once you are in the car (unless of course the journey is more than 30km then he/she can , or if the passenger is unruly or drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Exactly.
    A driver cannot refuse you once you are in the car (unless of course the journey is more than 30km then he/she can , or if the passenger is unruly or drunk

Even before you're in the car he can't refuse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Even before you're in the car he can't refuse you.

you can be refused for countless reasons.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    you can be refused for countless reasons.

In the context of the discussion I think it was clear I was talking about refusal based on destination under 30kms.

Of course they can refuse to take you if your carrying a bloody human head. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

In the context of the discussion I think it was clear I was talking about refusal based on destination under 30kms.

Of course they can refuse to take you if your carrying a bloody human head. :rolleyes:

Or if you are "deemed" to be too boisterous, loud, rabble rousing, risk for the driver etc. etc.

Driver can also refuse you service if you refuse to show that you can pay for the fare, usually interpreted as "cash on the dash"

My favorite is when people try to negotiate a lower fare, tell them it's on the meter and that I believe they are a flight risk and refuse them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I have never ever been asked for the money up front.

I have never ever been asked for the money up front.

Just because you haven't doesn't mean you can't.

It just seems to be a untish move to refuse people.

It just seems to be a untish move to refuse people.

Fares and receipts
    Under Part 3 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2013, it is an offence for a taxi or hackney driver to charge you more than the maximum fee shown on the meter or the fee agreed at the start of the journey. If you feel you have been overcharged, you are entitled to make a complaint about the taxi driver.

It is an offence if you do not pay the agreed fare or maximum fare shown on the taximeter. The driver is entitled to ask you to prove that you can afford to pay the fare before the journey begins. If you cannot prove this, they can refuse to take you on the journey.

You are entitled to receive a printed receipt at the end of a taxi journey upon payment. The receipt should detail the date, duration of the journey, distance, amount paid and vehicle licence number.

How often would you ask to see proof of funds? Or would it be only certain people that would be typically asked?

• Advertisement

How often would you ask to see proof of funds? Or would it be only certain people that would be typically asked?

Depends what mood I'm in and how long since the last bollix under payed or ran.

EDIT can also depend on the estimated fare, I wouldn't bother too much on local fares but if I thought it was a higher fare then I'd be wanting to know you could pay.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Or if you are "deemed" to be too boisterous, loud, rabble rousing, risk for the driver etc. etc.

Driver can also refuse you service if you refuse to show that you can pay for the fare, usually interpreted as "cash on the dash"

My favorite is when people try to negotiate a lower fare, tell them it's on the meter and that I believe they are a flight risk and refuse them.

Most people wouldn't have an issue with the legitimate reasons for refusal (although I hate having to get cash just for a taxi when I use card the rest of the night loved the days when I could get a Hailo home, not longer possible as there are many fewer taxis and more passengers. Bring on Uber-style ridesharing)

People have a problem with drivers who commit criminal offences by unreasonably refusing a fare based on a destination under 30km or use a pretext of a legitimate excuse to for refusal as cover for an illegal refusal like I think you may be implying.

Most people wouldn't have an issue with the legitimate reasons for refusal (although I hate having to get cash just for a taxi when I use card the rest of the night loved the days when I could get a Hailo home, not longer possible as there are many fewer taxis and more passengers. Bring on Uber-style ridesharing)

People have a problem with drivers who commit criminal offences by unreasonably refusing a fare based on a destination under 30km or use a pretext of a legitimate excuse to for refusal as cover for an illegal refusal like I think you may be implying.

I'm implying nothing other than saying you need to be very sure of why a driver refuses you before you go off half cocked, remember as soon as you start arguing it gives them the right to refuse you for being threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

how about this situation, taxi driver is in city centre, gets a call to pick up customers in foxrock, sees people on street looking for taxi, asks where they are going to see if its on his way, but they are not going that way. drives away, what harm is done? let this go op, dont be taking food off his table or from his kids mouths. its a tough job being a taxi driver, things like this happen.

You're obviously a taxi driver? Follow the rules and there'll be no issue....Simple ;)

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I'm implying nothing other than saying you need to be very sure of why a driver refuses you before you go off half cocked, remember as soon as you start arguing it gives them the right to refuse you for being threatening.

Well it's pretty straight forward when they ask where you're going then drive off or cancel the trip.

I'd still report a driver who refused me based on destination and then I told them that was illegal. If they said it was based on threatening behavior as a pretext or to cover up their criminal offence then they might get away with it or they might not. They could get themselves into more hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

Well it's pretty straight forward when they ask where you're going then drive off or cancel the trip.

I'd still report a driver who refused me based on destination and then I told them that was illegal. If they said it was based on threatening behavior as a pretext or to cover up their criminal offence then they might get away with it or they might not. They could get themselves into more hot water.
    When a taxi driver stops and asks where you are going,only a small part is to ascertain your destination.Mostly its to check you out for drink drugs etc.
    If a taxi driver then suddenly remembers a booking ,it might just be an easy way of leaving without an argument,instead of saying 'Im not taking you ,you're pissed'

vandriver wrote: »
    When a taxi driver stops and asks where you are going,only a small part is to ascertain your destination.Mostly its to check you out for drink drugs etc.
    If a taxi driver then suddenly remembers a booking ,it might just be an easy way of leaving without an argument,instead of saying 'Im not taking you ,you're pissed'

Well then they're leaving themselves open to admitting to a criminal offence for no real reason. They'd be gone way before a pissed person would have any time to react.

Well then they're leaving themselves open to admitting to a criminal offence for no real reason. They'd be gone way before a pissed person would have any time to react.

criminal offence:pac:

the judge would want to lock them up and throw away the key. id say 5 years in prison should be the punishment.

criminal offence:pac:

the judge would want to lock them up and throw away the key. id say 5 years in prison should be the punishment.

Class C fine as provided for in the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Intoxication is a sufficient reason for a driver to refuse a passenger. A passenger who is at risk of soiling or damaging a cab may be lawfully refused as well.

I wonder how many complaints come into the NTA stating "I was nissed as a pewt and was refused a taxi..." :)

• Advertisement

Intoxication is a sufficient reason for a driver to refuse a passenger. A passenger who is at risk of soiling or damaging a cab may be lawfully refused as well.

I wonder how many complaints come into the NTA stating "I was nissed as a pewt and was refused a taxi..." :)

I'm not sure what your point is? You'd ask people where they're going and when they told you if you think they're drunk you'd refuse them but the destination is not a factor you'd just ask it see if you think they're drunk?

You run a very big risk of being fined based on that. I'd consider using a safer way to determine if someone's drunk. Unless you're just pretending the issue is the drunkeness to get away with asking where they're going in which case it's a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

I'm not sure what your point is? You'd ask people where they're going and when they told you if you think they're drunk you'd refuse them but the destination is not a factor you'd just ask it see if you think they're drunk?

You run a very big risk of being fined based on that. I'd consider using a safer way to determine if someone's drunk. Unless you're just pretending the issue is the drunkeness to get away with asking where they're going in which case it's a criminal offence.
    'Are you drunk?'
    -No
    -Well I think you are

Can you see how this might not go very well.

most complaints will arise from a time when the customer is drunk and the driver is sober. this is why only 2% of complaints ever end in a prosecution. im sure the taxi driver in this case will be ok. :) some people really need to get a life though.

most complaints will arise from a time when the customer is drunk and the driver is sober. this is why only 2% of complaints ever end in a prosecution. im sure the taxi driver in this case will be ok. :) some people really need to get a life though.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the statistic is but I'm sure as you say it's low and probably as you suggest taxi drivers lie about breaking the law and there's no other evidence so there's not a whole lot that can be done. Maybe the prospective passenger could submit a subject access request under GDPR for dash cam footage but I'm sure you'll suggest that, this footage "goes missing"

Just glad in my case I had the evidence.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the statistic is but I'm sure as you say it's low and probably as you suggest taxi drivers lie about breaking the law and there's no other evidence so there's not a whole lot that can be done. Maybe the prospective passenger could submit a subject access request under GDPR for dash cam footage but I'm sure you'll suggest that, this footage "goes missing"

Just glad in my case I had the evidence.

ya that was real lucky:pac: what would you have done if you didn't, your life would be ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Crack down on taxi standards is badly needed.

I see so many with defective lighting to tyres daily, such as no brake lights or only one working or in a lot of especially the avensis where the wrong wattage bulb is fitted so they are the same brightness as the 5 watt side lights, dipped beams out and driving with high beams on instead of replacement of the bulbs.

Some seriously dirty ones and also do come across ones that when they brake the car ends up going slightly sideways.

Shockingly poor driving standard and will do anything to get that fare.

Rudeness to other road users is rife.

Madness what is let go on.

Dawson Street bus stops day and night are a taxi rank unofficial at that as of course it's a bus stop.
    Gardai are doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I see so many with defective lighting to tyres daily, such as no brake lights or only one working or in a lot of especially the avensis where the wrong wattage bulb is fitted so they are the same brightness as the 5 watt side lights, dipped beams out and driving with high beams on instead of replacement of the bulbs.

Some seriously dirty ones and also do come across ones that when they brake the car ends up going slightly sideways.

Dawson Street bus stops day and night are a taxi rank unofficial at that as of course it's a bus stop.
    And that's properly regulated garda vetted taxis, imagine how bad it would get with ten thousand unregulated uber drivers roaming the streets, and some think that's a good idea:rolleyes:

iamtony wrote: »
    And that's properly regulated garda vetted taxis, imagine how bad it would get with ten thousand unregulated uber drivers roaming the streets, and some think that's a good idea:rolleyes:

Oh I fully agree.

Some driver's cars are absolutely disgusting.

Filthy in and out and honestly they have no respect for anyone around them.

I'm actually shocked the amount of absolute sh1tboxes they are running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Agreed the standard of taxis in this country is a joke compared to the UK especially which I would say has the highest standard of taxis in any country I've visited especially in London. A large proportion of them think they own the road.

I've also found that a lot of the time when I've gotten into taxis the standard of driving has been awful with a complete disregard for passenger safety and the speed limit. Gardai dont appear interested in taxis so maybe the NTA as the regulator should put enforcement officers on the street to do checks. I was even in one once with no working seatbelts in the backseat down the country. I generally try to only them as a last resort as I feel safer on buses or trains.

While running the risk of being accused of being racist I would a majority of the bad expierences have been with non-national drivers which seem to the majority of drivers these days in Dublin at least. I did have a good expierence an Irish one there coming back from the airport a couple of months ago who was a good driver and very friendly and courteous but this seems to the minority.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Agreed the standard of taxis in this country is a joke compared to the UK especially which I would say has the highest standard of taxis in any country I've visited especially in London. A large proportion of them think they own the road.

I've also found that a lot of the time when I've gotten into taxis the standard of driving has been awful with a complete disregard for passenger safety and the speed limit. Gardai dont appear interested in taxis so maybe the NTA as the regulator should put enforcement officers on the street to do checks. I was even in one once with no working seatbelts in the backseat down the country. I generally try to only them as a last resort as I feel safer on buses or trains.

While running the risk of being accused of being racist I would a majority of the bad expierences have been with non-national drivers which seem to the majority of drivers these days in Dublin at least. I did have a good expierence an Irish one there coming back from the airport a couple of months ago who was a good driver and very friendly and courteous but this seems to the minority.

I've been in a number over the years and it's a mixed bag, some are dead sound, chat away then some are just terrible.

I think I've been lucky enough when in them I've got nearly all good ones, now saying that I may only be in a taxi max 5 or 6 times in a year as we haven't been out much the last few years.

My experience is mostly on the driving side and only that I'm trained very well and take pride in being safe while at work and not I come across some amount of absolute gobsheens

Advertisement