Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MAME - and my issues with it

• 01-04-2002 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I'm sure i'm not alone in saying that mame, despite being the B0rg of the emu world isn't quite as good as it could be.
    I'm running a fairly old but still functional setup of 600Mhz, now for the most part i have no issues running anything full whack as far as emu is concerned.

The only thing i do have issues with is MAME, now i know they're running a multi system emu but the sound emulation is just fu1king atrocious, it kills games, not in say localised games, ie. neogo/cps2, but all games and its not just me whose had this.

Now i've been playing emu'ed games for a long time and all that time i've always used alternatives rather than mame due to the fact that in general they work much much better.

Now considering the number of ppl that work on mame, and the amount of updates it gets (including the big jump they made to win32 recently which in all honestly made toss all difference to performance)
    You'd think they'd have time to just go back and look at the fundamentals of the emulator itself and try and optimise it a bit.

Its overkill when mortal kombat 2, which was about 10Mhz cpu ran game by midway runs at about 5 fps until you turn off sound emulation and then it rockets up to whatever you want.

Its the sad fact that mame runs too many games that no other emu runs which means you either play without music or you update your pc (it seemed to run ok on a 1Ghz machine)

Rant................

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Agree with you completely it's really obvious with MK2 and SF: the movie with the sound on it slow's to a crawl on my PC. I've seen MK2 on a p4 1.7 and it's perfect...I wouldn't use mame to run any cps2 stuff when finalburn etc are way faster. I'm looking forward to killer instinct under mame SLoowww:D

Advertisement