Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rogue Tenant

Options
  • 19-06-2019 8:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Hi All

So recently i let a room to a tenant who seemed genuine. Talked the talk, seemed fairly decent,

He paid the first month rent and deposit. He is from up the country, so he would be going home regular enough he said. His partner had a baby about 3 weeks in, he went up obviously to be with them for 2 weeks. At the same time the bigger room became available in the house, so he wanted it. So he got back down from the baby thing, said he was waiting for wages, then on Thursday said his dad was sick and he needed to go back up. Text me on the Sunday saying his dad passed and he wouldn't be down for another 2 weeks and then he would fix up the rent. Hard to argue it so i said its tough so will wait till he gets down.

He got back down on the Sunday and i olnly saw him on the Monday. I had to bring up rent, which he said he will get paid the following Tuesday and was due rent back and he would square up then. I thought he has had a rollercoaster few weeks and have a bit of trust. Anyway comes Tuesday and he said he needs to get to a bank, but he was heading up the country to work as his job would have them travelling a bit and he needed to pay for accom and then claim back.

I was getting suspicious as there wasn't even token gestures of rent.

Anyway i thought he would be gone on Wednesday evening but he didnt go till this morning.

At this stage i was extremely suspicious as i noticed he wasn't replenishing his food. He said he was going to get takeaway as he wouldnt be back till Tuesday the following week and the food would go off.

I was extremely suspicious so when i got home this evening i checked his room and everything was gone. He basically absconded.

I text him and said i take it your gone. He replied saying he was let go and was given notice and he was working out the notice, claimed he was only told today and was going to call me later. I then said there was a lot of money owed, about 1100, to which he replied he would be back down to settle accounts next week (which is lies as he had nothing to settle only rent and no reason to travel all the way). He then followed up asking how i knew he was gone. To which i explained how something wasnt right and all the cupboards were empty, to which he replied getting nnarky and saying stop lying, that was an invasion of privacy. hes a fairly entitled guy who knew every trick in the book with welfare.

He ended it saying he doesnt lie and then blocked me.

I know where he works as he used that as a basis to get the accom. He owes me basically 800 when i take out the deposit. Can i chase his company. I dont believe he was sacked as most companies would want you away from any work for fear you would sabotage. So i know he is lying, i reckon he got new accom somewhere else and jumped rent.

Question is, what can i do?

I suspect the person who answers the phone will have been sweet talked to say he was fired and the hope i disappear.

Its funny how people feel so entitled, i just want the money owed to me and never see the scumbag again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry to hear you have been done over.
    Forget it.
    Move on.
    Good side of this is you will probably never encounter a situation like this again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 keeffo2002

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you have been done over.
    Forget it.
    Move on.
    Good side of this is you will probably never encounter a situation like this again.

I know, but i suppose should i contact the company directly and report it, he shouldnt be allowed do that and if i had a company i wouldnt want my companys name being used as reference to someone like that

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

No you cannot chase his company and don’t attempt to as that’s really not on.

Just chalk it up to experience, let him go, he sounds like the type of person you just won’t get anywhere with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No good dead goes unpunished as they say.
    Move on. And learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are you LL just letting a room or a tenant sub letting???

You could bring a case for due rent etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

keeffo2002 wrote: »
    I know, but i suppose should i contact the company directly and report it, he shouldnt be allowed do that and if i had a company i wouldnt want my companys name being used as reference to someone like that

I would definitely contact the company and ask for his boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What has his employer got to do with him doing crap outside of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No but nothing stopping you bumping into him by accident at the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What has his employer got to do with him doing crap outside of it?

When some scammer cheats you out of €1000 everything has to do with it.

If nothing else it will let his boss know what he is at and hopefully it will affect his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Did you check the reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Go to the company. You won't see any of the money but if there's a chance you can screw a harsh lesson into him then it'd be well worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Your not going to get a penny. Anyone that uses lies such as family deaths etc are extremely dodgy and also unscrupulous. I would let it go. He is already through with you in his head, you cannot get blood from a stone, you just get unlucky with chunts sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

That is such a ridiculous story op.

Learn your lesson and move on. You may even be found to be breaking the law by contacting his employer. It won't do you any good anyway, you won't see that money.

Next time charge a month's rent and a month's deposit upfront, don't let rent go overdue, and don't refund the deposit til they move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

antix80 wrote: »

Learn your lesson and move on. You may even be found to be breaking the law by contacting his employer. It won't do you any good anyway, you won't see that money.

Next time charge a month's rent and a month's deposit upfront, don't let rent go overdue, and don't refund the deposit til they move out.

And change the locks.

I know i wont see the money, but he used the company as way of getting to rent the house. I have emails he sent.

Not sure how its illegal considering he scammed me. Not sure by asking a company is he really sacked against the law but as others said it will show the company the type of guy they have employed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is precisely why people get a months deposit and a months rent in advance. Regardless of new babies and dead fathers. Helps weed out the scam artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know i wont see the money, but he used the company as way of getting to rent the house. I have emails he sent.

Not sure how its illegal considering he scammed me. Not sure by asking a company is he really sacked against the law but as others said it will show the company the type of guy they have employed

How can you be even sure he worked there? Everything else was a lie so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Dont sink to his vindictive and cowardly level. Just chalk it up to experience and move on. You'll drive yourself mad if you let it get to you.

road_high wrote: »
    This is precisely why people get a months deposit and a months rent in advance. Regardless of new babies and dead fathers. Helps weed out the scam artists.

I had got the months deposit and rent, but the baby and father thing happened very close together. I looked it all up, the baby and father were genuine, checked facebook and rip notices so that did match up.

However, he saw an opportunity to avoid his debts and jumped ship which is totally scummy.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    How can you be even sure he worked there? Everything else was a lie so ...

he used get dropped off by the company van

dobman88 wrote: »
    An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Dont sink to his vindictive and cowardly level. Just chalk it up to experience and move on. You'll drive yourself mad if you let it get to you.

i've accepted i wont see the money. however he shouldnt be allowed to get away with it scotfree. I dont see whats wrong with questioning his 'sacking', if its genuine then he was telling the truth, if was lying he would be exposed not only to me but the company would be slow to trust him. Call it vindictive but no crime should go unpunished

how is it ridiculous?

His story about the baby and father passing away wasn't lies. I did my checking and i am satisfied those events did happen.

He saw the opportunity with someone being decent and giving him a chance to pay and he saw the euro signs and obsconded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

i've accepted i wont see the money. however he shouldnt be allowed to get away with it scotfree. I dont see whats wrong with questioning his 'sacking', if its genuine then he was telling the truth, if was lying he would be exposed not only to me but the company would be slow to trust him. Call it vindictive but no crime should go unpunished

Well for a start if they're any sort of company they will refuse to discuss employee details with a randomer over the phone. And if they ask him why someone is calling to ask questions about him, do you think he will tell them or will he make up some story about you? I really think it's a lot more hassle than it's worth.

You're clearly hurt by what's happened and it's totally understandable cos what he did was pure scummy and a horrible way to treat someone that took him at his word. I feel bad for you and you have every right to be upset and angry but I would just let it go for your own sanity.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Well for a start if they're any sort of company they will refuse to discuss employee details with a randomer over the phone. And if they ask him why someone is calling to ask questions about him, do you think he will tell them or will he make up some story about you? I really think it's a lot more hassle than it's worth.

You're clearly hurt by what's happened and it's totally understandable cos what he did was pure scummy and a horrible way to treat someone that took him at his word. I feel bad for you and you have every right to be upset and angry but I would just let it go for your own sanity.

yeah i hear what your saying and i agree.

What i was planning to do was just to email and say something like does XX still work with you as he advised he was let go and is not living in the area any longer. He had outstanding rent and i was trying to recoup this. He had given your company as his employment to secure the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So recently i let a room to a tenant who seemed genuine. Talked the talk, seemed fairly decent
    To which i explained how something wasnt right and all the cupboards were empty, to which he replied getting nnarky and saying stop lying, that was an invasion of privacy. hes a fairly entitled guy who knew every trick in the book with welfare.
    Is he a tenant, or a licensee?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I couldn't let this go tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

yeah i hear what your saying and i agree.

What i was planning to do was just to email and say something like does XX still work with you as he advised he was let go and is not living in the area any longer. He had outstanding rent and i was trying to recoup this. He had given your company as his employment to secure the accommodation.

And achieve what ?

The company is not obliged to pay his rent. Who do you plan to get in contact with at his company? Email who exactly?

If you do manage to get through to someone he works with he will simply shrug his shoulders, deny he has even heard of you and change the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    And achieve what ?

The company is not obliged to pay his rent. Who do you plan to get in contact with at his company? Email who exactly?

If you do manage to get through to someone he works with he will simply shrug his shoulders, deny he has even heard of you and change the subject.

That's grand it could well happen, but it doesn't take much to make the call anyway. Might as well.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Is he a tenant, or a licensee?

Licensee, sorry easier sometimes to say tenant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement