Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

Friend of mine is in Dingle until Saturday, told her to stock up on storm treats and park her car up a hill & she's only laughing at me. It's looking pretty bad for a time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Orange warning for cork ? I knew it meant to be windy down here tomorrow into Saturday but did this ramp up fast or what ? And being just back from a walk with the dog it's a lovely evening in the north side of cork city.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Orange warning for cork ? I knew it meant to be windy down here tomorrow into Saturday but did this ramp up fast or what ? And being just back from a walk with the dog it's a lovely evening in the north side of cork city.

It's not due to hit until tomorrow evening through to Saturday morning.

antodeco wrote: »
    It's not due to hit until tomorrow evening through to Saturday morning.

Yes I know that it's not hitting until tomorrow night. The point I was making is you'd never think this time tomorrow it'll be nasty weather given how nice it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yes I know that it's not hitting until tomorrow night. The point I was making is you'd never think this time tomorrow it'll be nasty weather given how nice it is now.

The calm before the storm!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z very consistent again. Maps are a bit crude and not very detailed but look very strong with severe gusts tomorrow night for a time.

IMO Wind speeds possible.

Looks like the Kerry coasts could get gusts up to 140 km/h and gusts 110 -130 km/h inland, strongest near the coast and on high ground

Clare looks like around 140 km/h possible in S Clare coast, 90 -130 km/h highest nearest the Coast

Cork 130 to 140 km/h in W Cork coasts for a time , 100 - 120 for a time along the rest of the coast, 90 to 110 km/h in general overland

Limerick gusting 90 to 120 km/h for a time.

Galway gusting 80 to 110 km/h for a time

Coasts along to the SE gusting 80 to 110 km/h for a time

Other areas gusting around 80 to 90 km/h ./ higher on elevated ground possible.

WliU7Dy.png

O7qRrH9.png

SxTU0TH.png

cMTZ6im.png

The calm before the storm!
    Absolutely.

So this sounds more a wind event than a rain event ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some finer detail.

hzX8T1y.png

YunHuKz.png

HaboDOD.png

8l0H2Ob.png

NC0dgZ0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

aisling86 wrote: »
    Friend of mine is in Dingle until Saturday, told her to stock up on storm treats and park her car up a hill & she's only laughing at me. It's looking pretty bad for a time there.

Looking at Meteorites charts, Dingle is going to get an awful hit, right on the path of the worst of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

goat2 wrote: »
    Looking at Meteorites charts, Dingle is going to get an awful hit, right on the path of the worst of it

Can't wait to see her reaction tomorrow! Well into cat1 strength.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I suggest you tell her to look up this thread. If she does she won`t be laughing at you after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Emory Flat Belt

I wonder what the Connor Pass would be like ?:D

If they do call a red warning tomorrow I hope its early to allow us get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z icon ups the ante even more.
    If the gfs shows similar I would be fairly certain a red warning will be issued before morning.
    It's getting serious for Kerry and Cork folks!!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I wonder are businesses going to close early? It's going to hit at after work revelling time in the city. Pubs would be pressed to stay open.

If a red warning is issued yes they will. Otherwise it will be up to each individual business whether to let staff go home early. Some may but the majority probably will not.

If the gfs shows similar I would be fairly certain a red warning will be issued before morning.

What’s it showing?

Would there not have to be a meeting of the National Emergency Coordination Council or,whatever they are called, before a red warning would be issued?

What’s it showing?
    A really tight gradient between 6pm and midnight across Kerry Cork and parts of Waterford. Potent for mid winter but in April with trees in leaf?...

If the way the great and the good are talking your friend could look like a blood donor who forgot to say stop. I hope the top shelf stuff is in good supply in dingle.

A really tight gradient between 6pm and midnight across Kerry Cork and parts of Waterford. Potent for mid winter but in April with trees in leaf?...
    I assume thats tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Relax. It will all blow over.

Easy for you to say. I'm 175m asl facing the atlantic:eek:

Blow over garden furniture and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Expect Easter’s warm weather brought a lot of items out of hibernation so expect some reports from South tomorrow on flying trampolines, basketball nets, garden furniture ....

ICON 18Z Max Gusts.

Even if it does just reach 130 km/h gusts it is still a severe wind event. Going through relatively quickly but it only takes a short time of high winds this time of year to cause damage.

Enlarged Pic to see the colours and corresponding wind speeds a bit clearer.

Meteociel

gwUjLHl.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looking at that the Cork City will have some strong winds aswell as West cork?

Steopo wrote: »
    Expect Easter’s warm weather brought a lot of items out of hibernation so expect some reports from South tomorrow on flying trampolines, basketball nets, garden furniture ....

I put a good few things away this evening where I am in north cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Steopo wrote: »
    expect some reports from South tomorrow on flying trampolines

Aye!

The 18z gfs is more or less the same as the previous run. Very localised event Cork city could be stormy while Charleville is calm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

If a red warning is issued yes they will. Otherwise it will be up to each individual business whether to let staff go home early. Some may but the majority probably will not.

I don't think businesses are compelled to close if there is a red alert?

I think we had a red a alert nationwide a couple of years ago when most of the country saw nothing of interest, and a pissing contest ensued as to who should pay for staff wages etc. when the business closed etc.

Advertisement