Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shankill

• 30-01-2019 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking to buy 3 bed 2 bath in South Dublin, within striking distance of the DART line preferably. Looking at Shankill as an option, mix of old and newer (albeit limited numbers) homes for sale.

Anybody know much about the area or anyone live out that way? Grew up not too far away but that was 30 years back when it was very much commuter territory, and I suppose those definitions have changed! Back when Rathsallagh and Corbawn were a bit sketchy but obviously I'm out of the loop now!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've lived in Shankill for 20 years+ and would strongly recommend it! I'm located in the New Vale/Library Road area and it's a great place to live. The 145 is a great bus service and the Dart is less than 10 minutes walk. Generally very quiet although not as much since they built new houses off Stonebridge Road and Library Road has become a bit of a shortcut to the village. Generally the facilities in the village are good with a new Lidl due to open shortly. Wish there were a couple of nice places to eat and a small comfortable pub - nothing wrong with Brady's but it's huge! The area around the Dart station is not great and I would avoid buying there if possible.
    I'm a keen cyclist and I find the location brilliant for that - nice distance for a daily commute into town and right on the doorstep of Wicklow for mountain and road biking at the weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bought there just off Quinn's Road 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. Like yourself transport links were one of the biggest selling points and having the DART, the 145 bus (which can be quicker into town then the DART) and the M50 all on your doorstep is a huge plus.

It's a nice mix of older couple and younger families and for someone who was totally new to the area, it's been great. Only thing I wish it had would be a good cafe/coffee spot but I think that might come with Lidl.

I don't know enough to say definitively but in looking for somewhere and in what I've seen since moving, I'd saying maybe skip anywhere North of the DART station and church and look to places South of it and around the village/library.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

There will be a few thousand homes beside there starting to come on stream in Cherrywood if you want to hold out until they are ready next year. Will probably increase the supply for the whole general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Some nice areas in Shankill. I lived in Dorney Court for a few years. It's a nice quiet estate.

Cherrywood isn't near the Dart, although it's very close to the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what the Eaton Wood Court area is like in Shankill? I don't know Shankill at all but it seems like a nice area overall? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Eaton Wood is really nice and quiet, i lived in that area for about 3 years.
    The dart is 5 mins away, very handy.

The wall between the detached houses are a bit thin, that would be my biggest gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 otooleb6

Hi Guys,

Looking at a house in Shanganagh Grove and just wondering what its like there? I would be moving with my husband and 1 year old but dont know anything about Shankill so just looking for info really. Is it good for families? Is it a nice area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

otooleb6 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking at a house in Shanganagh Grove and just wondering what its like there? I would be moving with my husband and 1 year old but dont know anything about Shankill so just looking for info really. Is it good for families? Is it a nice area?

Shankill is a lovely area for families - great schools, the beach, a big park.

If you want to pm me I am happy to answer any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

otooleb6 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Grand down there. Lots of family's with young kids and one of the nicer areas. Few minutes walk to the dart through Corbawn, got the beach down to the right when you walk out of the estate, pretty much on your doorstep, you've got the pitches and fields behind you.

Village at the top of the road, Quinns Road, Pub , Shops, Tesco, Takeaways, Lidl just a minute or two past the village beside the church. On the main bus line.

Can't go wrong.

Woshy wrote: »
    Shankill is a lovely area for families - great schools, the beach, a big park.

If you want to pm me I am happy to answer any questions :)

Thanks so much, really appreciate that

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Grand down there. Lots of family's with young kids and one of the nicer areas. Few minutes walk to the dart through Corbawn, got the beach down to the right when you walk out of the estate, pretty much on your doorstep, you've got the pitches and fields behind you.

Village at the top of the road, Quinns Road, Pub , Shops, Tesco, Takeaways, Lidl just a minute or two past the village beside the church. On the main bus line.

Can't go wrong.

Thanks a mill. I just heard about the housing development at Shanganagh. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will have a negative impact on Shankill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Doubt it. Think it was about 600 new units, with some office space, creche, shops, cafe etc..

Can't see why it's a negative, If anything it's good news, more accommodation with affordable houses and rental units, Might be a bit busier but sure more people means more growth for the area and good for the business around the village, maybe see some expansion and new places opening??? Who knows.

I'm sure you'll hear the usual crap about social housing, I think they planned for around 200 units but sure they have a social housing requirement in pretty much every new development these days. There's no getting away from it. Not that it would bother me but it does some.

All the info is here, have a look through yourself.

https://shanganaghcastleresidential.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 InfoFinder20

Hi guys,

Just jumping in on this thread rather than setting up a new one. We are looking to buy in Shankill and have looked lately in Eaton Wood estate. Any thoughts/opinions on this particular estate/surrounding area?

Any information would be of great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Hi guys,

Just jumping in on this thread rather than setting up a new one. We are looking to buy in Shankill and have looked lately in Eaton Wood estate. Any thoughts/opinions on this particular estate/surrounding area?

Any information would be of great help.

The whole of Shankill seems to have been chosen as the "Darling extension" out from Killiney/Dalkey DunLaoghaire area for new builds and young families.

The reason being for this is largely probably because Shankill has definitely got a cleaner landscape and base to work from, and also space to build into, rather than Say Ballybrack or Loughlinstown.

I lived in the area very recently for a couple of years. Really lovely if you want somewhere with all essentials yet still being a fairly quiet area. The estate you mention and all areas around it is fine.

There's also been a brand new Lidl put in which is one of the best in the country.

Bonuses for Shankill are:

- Dart and Great Bus services (145 and 84X close)
    - New Lidl
    - Shanganagh Park
    - Killiney Beach down that way is lovely and quiet.
    - Big Garda station close by for Security
    - Large Number or takeaways.
    - Decent Pub (Brady's is grand to pop in for a few hours to watch a match, I wouldnt pin my social life on it)
    - Harbour Bar in Bray is very close, and probably the best pub Between Bray and Town.

Negatives:

- There are a small few rough eggs still hanging around, nothing Major and nothing Dangerous like Crime Families etc. but just a few muppets (like everywhere)
    - The Commute does get tiring, can easily be an hour into town depending on Traffic and Weather and Schools. (maybe less of a worry with a shift to WFH)
    - There isn't a huge amount of Restaurants etc. to visit locally, you're more likely going to pop down to Dalkey or Bray for that.

All in all, depends what you value.

But I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 InfoFinder20

Hey Pivot Eoin,

Thanks a million for your detailed reply. This is really helpful!

Advertisement