Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why don't people don't like extensions?

• 23-02-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello all. Me and my husband are currently house hunting . We are first time buyers with little experience .

We found a strange thing. We found some lovely houses with extension. It seems that few buyers are happy to pay money for the extension. I guess owners must have spent lots of money on the extension , but when those houses enter the market, buyers don't appreciate their value. Why? Does it mean that quality of extension is not as good as that of the original rooms? For example , is it possible to build an extension without solid base?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

I think most people do like them (who wouldn't like the extra space?). But I came across the phenomenon, which I have met many times, of the extension space is not being valued equally to the rest of the house. Speaking of one house in particular and comparing it's price with the neighbourhood house being sold at the the same time, the Sqm of the original house was €4,000, but the extra 15 Sqm of the extension was valued at €2,000.
    I can't speak for the quality, but with some extensions I can also have a bit of a put off aesthetically (example would be a Finnish sauna-alike pine ceilings)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

There are a few reasons, but there's nothing concrete (boom, boom).

Some extensions are literally 3 walls and a roof stuck on to the side of the house. If the extension wasn't tied in to the original house correctly then there can be long term stability problems. However there can be long term stability problems with any part of a house, so it's not necessarily a good basis for valuing one part over the other.

Some extensions are uninsulated and are just literally built of lines of blocks. This can cause cold & damp problems. Then there are flat roofs which historically have a reputation for problems with sitting water.

Having said that, we built two extensions on two houses and they were well built, were insulated and had flat roofs that had no problems, so it's not like every extension has this issue. That's not going to stop people from assuming that all extensions are less valuable than the original house though.

My advice - consider things like insulation, cold, damp, etc . . . for *every* part of the house you are looking to buy and don't single out extensions specifically. If this means that you value a house more than someone who doesn't like the extension then you have an advantage over them in terms of bidding for and getting the house.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zagmund wrote: »
    Some extensions are uninsulated and are just literally built of lines of blocks. This can cause cold & damp problems. Then there are flat roofs which historically have a reputation for problems with sitting water.
    This. Some look nice, but don't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some extensions are not of as high a build quality as the house, so the value per sqm is adjusted accordingly. In extreme cases, the only thing that should be done with an extension is to demolish it.

I have seen extensions where the build quality is quite acceptable, but I don't see them as adding much to the value of the house. Typically they are sun-rooms or conservatories accessed from a living-room. The room to which they are attached loses light, and often ends up as primarily a passage to the new room. The net gain to the occupiers is very small.

A well-designed and well-built extension can add to the value of a house, but many extensions don't deliver much.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

Thanks so much,Maybea,Zagmund,the Syco and P. Breathnach. These feedback helps me a lot,will follow the forum;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most people dont extensions are they are generally kitchens which are done to the owners taste. Styles of kitchens change really quickly. So if you are looking at a house with an extension that is a kitchen, you will probably want to rip it out. I know most people change the kitchen when they move into a new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

hfallada wrote: »
    Most people dont extensions are they are generally kitchens which are done to the owners taste. Styles of kitchens change really quickly. So if you are looking at a house with an extension that is a kitchen, you will probably want to rip it out. I know most people change the kitchen when they move into a new house.

I know if I moved into this house, the ktchen would be on my list of things to change :)
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/1-monereagh-tubber-crusheen-clare/1031843/?ea=1&utm_source=property_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=property_alert_email

check out the picture, it's hilarious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a huge difference between an architect designed extension and a rectangle box added the back of a house . A proper extension allows light to flow to the old room ( middle of the house) it akdo maximises the new and old space) often a box added on makes the middle of the house dark and dull. It also makes the middle of the house no more than a corridor and the extension offers no extra space

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Akrasia wrote: »
    I know if I moved into this house, the ktchen would be on my list of things to change :)
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/1-monereagh-tubber-crusheen-clare/1031843/?ea=1&utm_source=property_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=property_alert_email

check out the picture, it's hilarious :)

Kitchen? The whole blasted house..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

There's the problem that somebody else will have done the extension to their taste and "lock" you into something you don't like as much.

In terms of "value" or payback, once you go past the basic house, very few additions or improvements will pay for themselves when you sell it on if you're looking at it from that angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

idayang wrote: »
    We found a strange thing. We found some lovely houses with extension. It seems that few buyers are happy to pay money for the extension. I guess owners must have spent lots of money on the extension , but when those houses enter the market, buyers don't appreciate their value. Why?

People are stuck in categories.

"in this area, a 3-bed semi should be €x, a 4-bed should be €x, etc etc"

Little thought is given to the size of the garden or any extra size.

strange kitchen......lol

Good point! Will think about the house again.maybe will view it again!

Advertisement