Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Figures show major rise in mortgage arrears

• 28-02-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/figures-show-major-rise-in-mortgage-arrears-495444.html
    New figures show a major increase in the number of mortgages in arrears last year.

At the end of 2010, just over 44,500 accounts were in arrears for more than 90 days.

It compares with 28,600 at the same time the previous year.

It means that 5.7% of the total residential mortgage accounts in the country were over three months in arrears at the end of last year, with more than €8.5bn owed on them.

The figures from the Central Bank also show mortgage lenders held 585 repossessed residential properties at the end of December.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/figures-show-major-rise-in-mortgage-arrears-495444.html#ixzz1FFsSvNWk

I think people knew the situation would get worse but that's quite a shocking increase.
    More than 1 in 20 properties with a mortgage are in serious trouble paying back their mortgage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of breakdown along the lines of

x number of mortgages owe around y thousand and were taken out between 200x and 200x and are/are not in trouble

i think it would help guage how bad our situation may become in the months/years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Look at the unemployment rate. The higher that goes, the more mortgages will be in arrears. You can't pay a Celtic Tiger mortgage from the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't want to be offensive, but the banks, who gave out risky mortgages in their thousands should have known better, i.e. that the boom years would not last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

there's another 60k who have agreed new payments plans with their banks, extend term, interest only, reduce payments.
    A lot (not all) of these will be added to the 44k when the interest only period etc ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

so 5% cant pay the mortgage at the moment...

what % are merely paying interest only (how long can that last)

what % will default once interest rates double, 10 - 15%?

• Advertisement

mozattack wrote: »
    so 5% cant pay the mortgage at the moment...

what % are merely paying interest only (how long can that last)

what % will default once interest rates double, 10 - 15%?

These figures, I suspect, are some of what the oppostition have been told.

This determines whether of not we can afford to pay for the banks.

Just because we sank tens of billions into them does not mean they are saved. Its actually probably that we cant no matter what.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2281

Do look at the opening post in that thread ^^^^
    I
    Some posts on page two give some figures on the interest only mortgages.......insane stuff. I did my thesis on this stuff last year and truly believe it would have been alot
    cheaper to let several or all banks fail and start some new banks. During my research I found it impossible to get my hands on the hard figures necessary as banks and the Dept of Finance simply held it all close to their chests.

A proper cost benefit analysis could not be done by the public. They did this on purpose of course

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

professore wrote: »
    Look at the unemployment rate. The higher that goes, the more mortgages will be in arrears. You can't pay a Celtic Tiger mortgage from the dole.

It's not just the unemployment rate. There's underemployment, wage cuts, massive tax increases, drop in business for self employed, interest rate increases, resetting of interest only mortgages to capital, expiration of discount mortgage rates.

Was a complete ticking time bomb.

I honestly can't see a solution to this. It's just too big. If people don't pay mortgage and they're let away with it then taxpayer is on the hook as we now own the banks. If the houses are repossessed then taxpayer has to house them. Even right downs have to be subsidised by taxpayer.

Then there's the moral hazard of the sensible people having to pay for others mistakes. The moral hazard of not being able to buy a house at a sensible price because it's in banks and taxpayers interest to prob up prices.

It's basically a monstrous depression (bigger than recession).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

robd wrote: »
    It's basically a monstrous depression (bigger than recession).

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I know of one person for deffo [and another who I think is all talk] who can afford to pay their mortgage, but are not - taking a VERY LARGE and dangerous gamble that all arrears will be just voided and wiped clean at some point [and also a gamble that a large state owned bank [their lender] wont repossess a family home - as most repossessions are from sub-prime organisations].

So they are only throwing some money at the bank here and there, to keep wolf from door, but are a massive amount behind.

I do wonder if there is much of that going on? People who "cant afford to pay" but who can afford sky and 2 weeks in the sun etc etc - if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I know of one person for deffo [and another who I think is all talk] who can afford to pay their mortgage, but are not - taking a VERY LARGE and dangerous gamble that all arrears will be just voided and wiped clean at some point [and also a gamble that a large state owned bank [their lender] wont repossess a family home - as most repossessions are from sub-prime organisations].

So they are only throwing some money at the bank here and there, to keep wolf from door, but are a massive amount behind.

I do wonder if there is much of that going on? People who "cant afford to pay" but who can afford sky and 2 weeks in the sun etc etc - if you get me?

That's quite distressing to me as a tax payer.
    Fine Gael also want to give people like this further mortgage interest relief.
    If would be brilliant comedy if it wasn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

This is why the only people expressing moral and intellectual honesty on all this are the ones calling for immediate repossessions and firesales of mortgages in arrears.

People who say this is a harsh or heartless approach are 100% wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

The immortality comes in allowing this absurdity to continue.

Advertisement