Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a documentary/series about russian history?

• 27-09-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to recommend docu/series about russian history be it as an overall view,russian revolution or last twenty years related or even a good book on the subject (i've read a peoples tragedy by orlando figges which was brilliant but thats it)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I recently read Postwar by the late Tony Judt. Its an absolutely remarkable book, narrates the history of Europe since WWII. I'd highly recommend that, you'll get a good overview of Soviet life and its failings, and how it inter-related with western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I finished that just yesterday and is was exceptional,i'm gonna derail the thread a bit and ask have you read any of his other stuff? if so any good? i ordered reappraisals but i'm unsure if it will be decent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

ronano wrote: »
    I finished that just yesterday and is was exceptional,i'm gonna derail the thread a bit and ask have you read any of his other stuff? if so any good? i ordered reappraisals but i'm unsure if it will be decent

Haha, glad you liked it! I've also read Ill Fares the Land, but thats not a history book, more of a long essay about how to stop the decline of the welfare state. I haven't read any of his other books. Postwar was his magnus opus, most of his other writings are about the history of the French left, none compare in length or breadth to Postwar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

might not be what your into but i finished a good book on the gulags by Anne Applebaum called Gulag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

For a book, have a look at Robert Service's: The Penguin History of Modern Russia. Link.

It was a recommended text for a module in college but I stupidly stupidly did not buy it. Service's reputation in the field of Russian History is extremely notable too so it's a worthy purchase.

For documentaries, have a look at YouTube. There was one video (2 parts) that totally cleared up the revolutions for me. Worth a shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement