Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

High EBI fr heifer calves. Any guide price or what do people think they'd make?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

farmerjj wrote: »
    So average 4wk old calves would make around €130?

I know that's what they are approx going for around here at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    If lads are paying that kind of money then they deserve what they get come 24 months later. Will they ever learn.:mad:
    To be honest Mac, NO they don't seem to learn and the rest of us regular rearers/feeders/finishers suffer in the long term re beef prices.

Base price wrote: »
    To be honest Mac, NO they don't seem to learn and the rest of us regular rearers/feeders/finishers suffer in the long term re beef prices.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ok I ain't a dairy man but I only know what my BIL tells me he is moving them for ex farm. Marts might be a different game but let them fools off

A lot of crazy stuff goes on at marts. If lads around the ring reckon they can bull you they will. At 100 euro friesian calves are dear even if beef climbs to and stays above 4.5/kg. Beef farmers and some calf buyers are there own worst enemys. these are the same lads that will be cribbing in 12-18 month time if they lose money on these cattle as stores.

There is a completely false market in store cattle at present. Some lads just do not want to make money. However we are early in the year yet glut of calves will come on stream in next 3-4 weeks this may well soften the prices.

Other issue we may have the perennial lads that are over quota and want something to drink the milk. They be better off buying yearlings and getting them to drink it. If I was buying calves I would not panic yet.

• Advertisement

A lot of crazy stuff goes on at marts. If lads around the ring reckon they can bull you they will. At 100 euro friesian calves are dear even if beef climbs to and stays above 4.5/kg. Beef farmers and some calf buyers are there own worst enemys. these are the same lads that will be cribbing in 12-18 month time if they lose money on these cattle as stores.

There is a completely false market in store cattle at present. Some lads just do not want to make money. However we are early in the year yet glut of calves will come on stream in next 3-4 weeks this may well soften the prices.

Other issue we may have the perennial lads that are over quota and want something to drink the milk. They be better off buying yearlings and getting them to drink it. If I was buying calves I would not panic yet.

I'm told that's what all the calves are heading to cork are for

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

3 fr bull calves ( ai ) just 2 wks old made €90 each in castleisland today, handy calves though

I'm told that's what all the calves are heading to cork are for
    OH got a phone call on Saturday from a dairy farmer that we know. Conversation went something like this:
    Dairy farmer: Can you get your hands on 20 odd bull calves in the next few days. I'm going to be over quota in the next few weeks and I'd prefer "coloured" calves.
    OH: Coloured calves are really pricey at the min.
    Dairy farmer: What about Friesian bulls.
    OH: They are pricey too cause most of ye large dairy guys are over quota and won't sell the bull calves which has driven up the price.
    Dairy farmer: Bollox, do your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

OH got a phone call on Saturday from a dairy farmer that we know. Conversation went something like this:
    Dairy farmer: Can you get your hands on 20 odd bull calves in the next few days. I'm going to be over quota in the next few weeks and I'd prefer "coloured" calves.
    OH: They are pricey too cause most of ye large dairy guys are over quota and won't sell the bull calves which has driven up the price.

I wonder whats the difference on paying the SL on the milk the calves will drink over the price the reared calves may lose after april ?
    Are ye buying calves now BP or keeping yer powder dry for later in the year ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wonder whats the difference on paying the SL on the milk the calves will drink over the price the reared calves may lose after april ?
    Are ye buying calves now BP or keeping yer powder dry for later in the year ?
    Your a cute one Bullocks and I mean that in the highest terms :).
    We have bought some in the last few weeks mostly FR but some FRx. They have not landed here yet.
    TBH we talked/consulted with dairy farmers earlier last year that we have dealt with over the years regarding the impending quota situation and extra cow/calf numbers.
    Today most of those farmers that we buy from are more than happy to rear calves on for a few weeks due to quota restrictions.
    However, unless you have a friendly/neighbourly dairy farmer up the road and she/he is willing to sell bull calves at realistic money then forget about them.
    Also forget about going to the local mart to buy them within the next 2 to 3 weeks as local demand unfortunately overrides the current market and it is driving up prices.
    I'am going to keep my powder dry and hopefully pick up some reared whole milk fed FR weanlings in April/May for small money :) Unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

We have bought some in the last few weeks mostly FR but some FRx. They have not landed here yet.
    TBH we talked/consulted with dairy farmers earlier last year that we have dealt with over the years regarding the impending quota situation and extra cow/calf numbers.
    Today most of those farmers that we buy from are more than happy to rear calves on for a few weeks due to quota restrictions.
    However, unless you have a friendly/neighbourly dairy farmer up the road and she/he is willing to sell bull calves at realistic money then forget about them.
    Also forget about going to the local mart to buy them within the next 2 to 3 weeks as local demand unfortunately overrides the current market and it is driving up prices.
    I'am going to keep my powder dry and hopefully pick up some reared whole milk fed FR weanlings in April/May for small money :) Unlikely

I bought a few of a lad and he is keeping them till SL is over . Its working out aswell for him as me , he isn't getting a milk cheque so the calf money is welcome and he isn't too greedy with the price as he knows he will more than likely be throwing them away later on in the year .

I bought a few of a lad and he is keeping them till SL is over . Its working out aswell for him as me , he isn't getting a milk cheque so the calf money is welcome and he isn't too greedy with the price as he knows he will more than likely be throwing them away later on in the year .

Good deal there bullocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Having been locked up b4 for our entire calving season and some months beyond and the work required at this time of raising calves along with calving etc id sell cows before I'd buy in calves. Granted it was also during the spring of 13 so it was worse than most years but I knows for a fact having an extra 70 calves knocking around the place cost me elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think that is fairly likely. Most dairy farmers won't want Fr bull calves around the place for any longer than necessary so there will be a large number of well reared calves on the market in the first half of April.

I think that is fairly likely. Most dairy farmers won't want Fr bull calves around the place for any longer than necessary so there will be a large number of well reared calves on the market in the first half of April.

last week in March and first week in April.

last week in March and first week in May.
    Why do reckon then, Pudsey?

Why do reckon then, Pudsey?

Farmers can store milk for 4-5 days co-op make large collection the eve of fools day as long as the milk is not unloaded before 00.01 on the first of April it is in the new milk year so non quota milk.

As well cuter farmers will try to unload calves a bit earlier to beat price drop. You also have the situation where lads may find they have slightly misjudged quota and fin they have a few hundred liters in hand and can fill same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Wonder what these calfs will cost with being a bit older and better with the milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

You're the exact type of customer I'd love to have. Steady buying every year and no need for anyone to get screwed

You're the exact type of customer I'd love to have. Steady buying every year and no need for anyone to get screwed

Throw out a few AA and I could throw a few lads your way ;)

• Advertisement

Just looking at donedeal there for a min and some of the asking prices for calves are ridiculous.

Just looking at donedeal there for a min and some of the asking prices for calves are ridiculous.
    'Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find'.

:p

'Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find'.

:p

More like necks like a jockeys bollox alot of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I would be buying these lads instead of calves. The work is done and not much more than some crazy calf prices.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/6-bull-weanlings/8641670?offset=11

AP2014 wrote: »
    I would be buying these lads instead of calves. The work is done and not much more than some crazy calf prices.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/6-bull-weanlings/8641670?offset=11

Too big and expensive for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I have heard of lads paying €500 for the smaller version :D Jesus these lads need their heads examined. I would be after these lads for €650 to 700 delivered in yard.

AP2014 wrote: »
    I have heard of lads paying 500 for the smaller version.

Well here ain't one of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Wouldn't you think with so many photos he could have scattered them out for a side view beside all the photos of their arses. Would a few bigger friesians at the same price be better value than this lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

I sold 11 british friesian type bulls lastnite, 1300 for the 11, 6 days was the youngest, 2 weeks and a day was the oldest.
    The fone never stopped, add went up at 6.30, calves sold by 8.30pm and lads still callin this afternoon, screaming for them. im going to be touch and go on the quota but the workload of keepin 20ish bulls for a 1 man set up is severe enough in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Throw out a few AA and I could throw a few lads your way ;)

Bulls or heifers? Have three here at the moment, what they worth?

Advertisement