Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New 26 Counties book

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's a pity there are no sample images (even 2 or 3 pages would give an idea). Those books have had very positive reviews although they seem very niche and if people had a better idea of what was inside more might be prompted to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Ahern, Joseph Patrick. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Fusiliers.
    Unit: 24th Battalion.
    Service No: SPTS/3570.
    Date of death: 13/11/1916.
    Born: Cork.
    Enlisted: Cork. Residence-Cork.
    Death: Killed in action.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of Mary Ahern, of 46, Barret?s Buildings, Blarney Street, Cork, and the late William Ahern.
    Cork Examiner. 05/05/1917. 4932. Aherne-Killed in action on November 13th, 1916, Private Joe Aherne, Royal Fusiliers (Sportsmen?s Battalion), eldest and dearly-loved son of Mary Aherne and the late William Aherne, 46 Barrett?s Buildings. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing mother, sister, and brother.
    There is an image with the following snippet in the Cork Examiner. 17/05/1917. 5030. Reported Killed. Private Joseph Ahern, Sportsman?s Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, missing since November, 1915, now reported killed. Before joining the colours he was a member of the Irish National Volunteers. He resided at 36 Barrett?s Buildings, Cork.
    Notes: Name listed as Ahern (CWGC) Ahem (SDGW).
    Grave/Memorial: Pier and Face 8C 9A and 16 A.
    Cemetery: Thiepval Memorial, France.

Ahern, Michael. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve.
    Unit: H. M. S. Monsoon-CWGC. H. M. Yacht Monsoon-Records.
    Service No: 004/SD.
    Date of death: 06/04/1916.
    Born: Whitegate, County Cork.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late William and Julia Ahern of Middle Road, Whitegate, County Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: Screen Wall. N. 7. SS5. (CG).
    Cemetery: Aberdeen (Trinity) Cemetery, U. K.

Ahern, Michael. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine.
    Unit: SS Kenmare (Cork).
    Date of death: 02/03/1918.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late Patrick and Catherine Ahern (Nee Madden.
    Cemetery: Tower Hill Memorial, U. K.

Ahern, Patrick. (Cork).
    Unit: HMS Harpenden.
    Service No: 387/ST/Dev.
    Date of death: 04/11/1918.
    Born: Midleton, County Cork.
    Death: Died from disease.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of John Ahern, of St Mary?s Road, Midleton, County Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: Screen Wall. F 3. 556. (CMP).
    Cemetery: Aberdeen (Trinity) Cemetery, U. K.

Ahern, Patrick. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.
    Unit: 1st Battalion.
    Service No: 6951.
    Date of death: 21/08/1915.
    Born: St Ann's, Cork.
    Enlisted: Cork. Residence-Cork.
    Death: Killed in Action in Gallipoli.
    Grave/Memorial: Panel 185 to 190.
    Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey.

Ahern, Patrick. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Irish Guards.
    Service No: 5888.
    Date of death: 17/09/1916.
    Enlisted: Whitehall, Middlesex. Residence-Castlemartyr, County Cork.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of William Ahern, of Whitewell, Cloyne, County Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: Pier and Face 7 D.

Ahern, Patrick. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery.
    Unit: 66th Siege Battery.
    Service No: 42381.
    Date of death: 04/10/1917.
    Born: Youghal, County Cork.
    Enlisted: Cork. Residence-Youghal, County Cork.
    Next of kin, etc: Husband of Mary Ahern, of 10 Cork Hill, Youghal, County Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: II B 18.
    Cemetery: White House Cemetery, Belgium.

Ahern, Patrick Joseph. (Tipperary, King's County/Offaly).
    Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment.
    Unit: 7th Battalion.
    Date of death: 09/09/1916.
    Born: Tipperary-IMR. Residence-Seffin, Birr, King's County-Probate.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of Mrs. M. Ahern, of Thurles, Co. Tipperary; husband of Mary Ellen Ahern, of 2, Townsend Street House, Birr, King's Co. Won the South African War medal.
    Limerick Chronicle, September, 1916. The Birr Board of Guardians, at their meeting on Saturday, passed votes of sympathy with the friends of Major Ahern, Lieutenant Studholme, and Lieutenant T Kettle, killed at the front.
    Unknown Tipperary newspaper. A Guillemont Hero. How Lieutenant, P. J. Ahearn Fell. Mrs Edward Murphy, The Mall, Thurles, has received the following letter from the colonel commanding the 7th Leinsters; ?27th September, 1916?. ?Dear Mrs Murphy-As soon as possible after your poor brother met his death in action I write you to convey the sympathy of all ranks in this battalion, and to give such particulars as I am able. Your brother was killed while gallantly leading the attack east of Guillemont on the 9th September. Although his duty Lieutenant and Quartermaster he was always anxious to be in it when fighting was going on. He had obtained promotion as Captain. His death is also a very sad loss to us. He was killed, I believe, instantly. His orderly was with him at the time, but he himself was wounded and taken back, so I cannot question him for further information at present. We were all under a very heavy fire for a long time, and we with difficulty, managed to get our wounded away. It was a thrilling sight to see on that morning officers and all men at Holy Communion. It will be an ease of mind to you to know that your gallant brother died a hero for God and his country. I have written to his sorrowing mother. I hope some further information may come to you at a later date. With deepest sympathy with you in your great sorrow. ?Believe me, yours very truly. ?Colonel, Credy, 7th Leinster Regiment?.
    Midland Tribune, Tipperary Sentinel and Kings County Vindicator, September, 1916; Major Gaye, of the 7th Leinsters, has written to Mrs Ahearne conveying deep regret and sympathy on the death of her husband on behalf of himself and all ranks. ?When there was fighting to be done? Major Gaye wrote, ?he always insisted on being to the fore, and died whilst gallantly leading his men in an attack about 300 yards of Guillemont.
    King?s County Chronicle, November, 1915. The Leinsters in Battle. (by a regimental poet.) Leiut P. J. Ahearne, of the 7th Leinsters, has very kindly sent for the benefit of the readers of the ?King?s County Chronicle? the following lines composed by a signaller of the regiment, whose home is not many miles from the ?Model Town, ? and we gladly give the post a welcome to our columns. We hope that his stirring verses will not only be read with interest by his gallant comrades in a dug-out in France, but will also awake the patriotic feelings of those who, though in more comfortable surroundings now, should give the lively Leinsters a helping hand.
    The 27th Division. We sailed from Bombay more than ten months ago, And formed up at Winchester under General Snow. He said ? Now, my lads, I suppose you all know, You?re the 27th Division.? The first trenches we saw were at Dickebush, Where the Huns tried hard to give us the push, But they got cannoned right off the cush, By the 27th Division???. On the 14th of February the Germans came round, And tried to take from us a place called the mound; They had to postpone it, because they found, The 27th Division. ?????. Not the Kaiser got wild, he raved, and he swore. He said to Von Kluck, ?I?ll send one army corps?; Von Kluck said, ?Dear Kaiser, send three or four, Its the 27th Division.? ??????At St. Eloi the Huns tried once more in vain, They came a few yards, but were pushed back again, Von Kluck said ? Dear Kaiser, I am not to blame, It?s the 27th Division.? ???. We shifted once more round Ypres way, When the Germans saw us some started to pray, And others packed up and shouted good day???. To the 27th Division. ????. They tell the Kaiser is going quite daft, He?s nearly done, you can see it, not ?arf, And all he does now is to say, ?Gott strafe, The 27th Division. ??????. Although by this time our ranks got thin, We?ll fight and wear the same cheerful grin. And amongst the first troops to enter Berlin, Will be the 27th Division.? ?????. Not wishing to leave the boys of the 16th Division out in the cold, Lieut. Ahearne adds the following ?reinforcing? verse;
    To back up the 27th, we can only say, Soon our comrades to help we earnestly pray, And we?ll shorten the war by a year and a day, Will the 16th (Irish) Division.
    King?s County Chronicle, September, 1916. Captain Aherne Killed. Sad News Received at Birr. The sad news was received in Birr on last Sunday of the death in action of Captain Patrick Joseph Aherne, who, although not a native of Birr, was well and popularly known in the town. For years he had been in the army and was a smart and efficient soldier. He settled in Birr, and when the National Volunteers were formed devoted a good deal of his time to training the young men of Birr. When the war broke out he offered his services for the front and became Quarter-Master in the 7th Leinsters with a commission. He went abroad with the battalion in the 16th (Irish) Division, and was appointed acting Adjutant. He met his death by being killed by a shell after being wounded. The day before he was killed he asked a friend to send home a few surplus things. He was one of the best liked officers in the battalion, and he died doing his duty. Some years ago he contributed several articles on military matters to the ?King?s County Chronicle, ? and only a few months ago one of his last letters was a plain statement why reserves would have to be sent out from Ireland to fill up the depleted ranks of the Irish regiments. In a letter to Mrs Aherne, Mr John Dooly, J. P., the Chairman of the Birr Urban Council, conveyed to her on behalf of the people of Birr profound sympathy and sorrow on the untimely close of the career of a respected, active, and a gallant officer. This expression of regret will be shared by everyone in Birr for the bereaved widow and her children.
    King?s County Chronicle, September, 1916. (same issue) Mrs Aherne has received a letter from Major H. W. Gaye, 7th Leinsters, expressing deep sorrow over the death of her gallant husband on the part of himself and of all ranks. ?He always insisted on being to the fore when there was fighting to be done, and he died whilst gallantly leading his men in an attack about 300 yards east of Guillemont.?
    King?s County Chronicle, September, 1918. In Memoriam. Second Lieutenant. In loving memory of Captain Patrick Joseph Aherne, Leinster Regiment, killed in action 9th Sept., 1916. Requiem Mass in Mount St Josephs, Roscrea. Inserted by his sorrowing wife and family.
    Munster Express, October, 1916. A Guillemont Hero. How Lieutenant P J Ahearn Fell. Mrs Edward Murphy, The Mall, Thurles, has received the following letter from the colonel commanding the 7th Leinsters;--27th September, 1916. Dear Mrs Murphy?As soon as possible after your poor brother met his death in action I write you to convey the sympathy of all ranks in this Battalion, and to give you such particulars as I am able. Your brother was killed while gallantly leading his men in the attack of Guillemont on the 9th September. Although his duty was Lieutenant and quartermaster, he was always anxious to be in it when fighting was going on. He had obtained a promotion as Captain. His death is also a very sad loss to us. He was killed, I believe instantly. His orderly was with him at the time, but he himself was wounded and taken back, so I cannot question him for further information at present. We were all under a very heavy fire for e along time, and we with difficulty managed to get our wounded away. It was a thrilling sight to see on that morning officers and all men at Holy Communion. It will be an ease of mind to you to know that your gallant brother died a hero for God and his country. I have written to his sorrowing mother. I hope some further information may come to you at a later date. With deepest sympathy with you in your great sorrow. ?Believe me, yours very truly. Colonel Credy, 7th Leinster Regiment.
    Irish Independent; Lieutenant Aherne, Leinsters, killed, was the son of the late Patrick and Mrs Aherne, Borrisoleigh. Irish Independent. Colonel Credy, Leinster Regiment, has intimated to Mrs E Murphy, The Mall, Thurles, that her brother, Captain P J Ahern, was killed in while gallantly leading his men in the attack east of Guillemont on September 9.
    Freeman?s Journal, 19/09/1916. Major Ahern, Birr. Very deep regret is felt in Birr at the news that Major Ahern has been killed at the front. He was a popular Birr man, who had seen much service with the Leinsters at home and in India. He was Sergeant major with the 1st Battalion, and had retired on pension previous to the outbreak of the war. At the formation of the National Volunteers he became drill instructor to the Birr Corps, and had also general supervision over the South King?s County Volunteers. At the outbreak of the war he volunteered his services and was given a commission. He has acted as Lieutenant, captain, and Major with the 7th Leinsters, a battalion raised shortly after the start of the war, and proceeded to France when the Irish Division was ordered there. The sympathy of the townspeople goes forth to his bereaved widow.
    Notes: Probate granted at Mullingar to Mary Ellen, the Widow.
    Grave/Memorial: Pier and Face 16C.

Ahern, Richard. (Cork).
    Unit: SS Polandia.
    Service No: 1465C.
    Date of death: 11/03/1917.
    Born: Knockadoon, County Cork.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late Daniel and Mary Ahern (Nee Gibbons), of Barryscove, Ballymacoda, County Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: 23.
    Cemetery: Plymouth Naval Memorial, U. K.

Ahern, Richard. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Navy.
    Unit: HMS Goliath.
    Service No: 343972.
    Date of death: 13/05/1915.
    Born: Youghal, County Cork.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late Patrick and Ellen Ahern, of Windmill Lane, Youghal County Cork.
    Notes: Age at death, CWGC-35. Year of birth, records-1880.
    Grave/Memorial: 7.
    Cemetery: Plymouth Naval Memorial, U. K.

Ahern, Richard. (Kildare).
    Unit: 2nd Battalion.
    Service No: 5937.
    Date of death: 24/11/1917.
    Born: Portsmouth, Hampshire.
    Enlisted: Dublin. Residence-Newbridge, County Kildare.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of Mr Richard and Mrs E Ahern, of 55 Payne's Road, Southampton, brother of Rodney Ahern, died of wounds 08/08/1915.
    His father, who also served, survived the war and both parents moved back to the UK after the deaths of their two sons.
    His brother and father;-Kildare Observer. 04/09/1915. Father and Son at The Dardanelles. Naas Soldier?s Death From Wounds. The death of Drummer Rodney Ahearn of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, from wounds received at the Dardanelles, has been heard with much regret in Newbridge and Naas districts. Drummer Ahearn was a native of Naas, where his Father, Private Richard Ahearn, was a officers' servant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers' barracks for many years. He had just arrived at the age of 20 years, and having been wounded in action, he was removed to Port said hospital on the 24th June, but, recovering quickly, he rejoined his regiment, and getting back to the firing line he was killed in action at the Dardanelles. Mrs Ahearn, mother, has received information from the war office of the sad death of the gallant lad, the cause of death being stated as "died of wounds". Mr. Richard Ahearn, father of the deceased was a popular member of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who fought right through the Boer War, and who for some years past was the staff of the Newbridge Post Office. When the present war started Mr. Ahearn immediately volunteered for active service, and was soon at the front with his old corps, the lst Dublins. He was very anxious to meet his son, who was in the fighting line, and although both were in Alexandria for some hours at the same time, in their different companies, they did not meet, neither did they while in fighting line afterwards. In a letter to his mother from the convalescent hospital, Port Said, on the 25th June, Drummer Ahearn said he had been wounded in the foot on the 18th June, but was going on splendidly, "So I think I have escaped very lucky, as I think I am one of the last of the old 1st battalion to leave the trenches. It is terrible the cutting up that battalion has got -in fact, the whole division. Each time there has been anything on the mat we have been there, so I think it is very near time that they gave us a rest, but there is no such thing. There is no rest or playing football, as there is on the other side. It is a break to get away for a few days after being two months "on the go" day and night. I have been expecting one every day as I should like to know if my father is on his way out, as I have not heard of him. I suppose "Titch" is getting on tiptop. Is he gone to Belfast yet? I wrote him a postcard to the Curragh, but I suppose it will be forwarded to him, -Your Loving Son, Rodney. In a War Officer communication, dated 20th July, Mrs. Ahearn, mother, who resides at Newbridge, received a document from the Infantry Record Office, Island Bridge, to the effect that Drummer Rodney Ahearn, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was wounded in action and admitted to the Government Hospital at Port Said. A further communications was received a notification of the death of Drummer Ahearn from the war office, expressing regret, the cause of death being stated as "died from wounds". It afterwards transpired that the information was only too correct. Drummer Rodney Ahearn was a great favourite with all who knew him, and much sympathy goes out to his mother at Newbridge, as well as to his father, who is at fighting in the trenches, both of whom are very well known in Naas.
    Freeman?s Journal, 17/05/1917. Post Office Staff?s Response-Timothy Murphy and J Kinsella, of the Newbridge Post Office staff, have joined the army. Other members of this staff were-W Doran, who joined the S. I. H., one is now in the Cavalry Reserve, Private T Riordan, I. G., recently killed, was another member, and a brother of his is at present in training. Sergeant R Ahern, R. D. F., has got a medal for meritorious service. His son, Drummer Rodney Ahern, was killed at the Dardanelles, while another son, also in the Post Office staff, was invalided home, and, volunteering again, is with the S. I. H.
    Notes: Service No 5037-SDGW, 5937-MIC+CWGC. Formerly he was with the South Irish Horse where his number was 2533.
    Grave/Memorial: II F 12.
    Cemetery: Tincourt New British Cemetery, France.

Bowie, James. (Cork).
    Unit: H. M. Drifter "Morning Star IV.”
    Service No: 461TC.
    Date of death: 14/06/1917.
    Born: Buckpool, Banffshire.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of George Bowie, of 5, James St., Buckie, Banffshire.
    The Fermanagh Herald and Monaghan News, 16/10/1915. Cork Schooner Wrecked. A Waterford telegram reports that the schooner Morning Star, bound from Cardiff to Baltmourra with a cargo of 190 tons of coal, has been wrecked, and the Captain named Christopher, with two seamen and a passenger names James Casey, were drowned. A seaman named Denis Flynn, who was badly injured, was saved. The vessel belonged to the port of Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: In near left part (from McCurtain Hill entrance).
    Cemetery: Kilgariffe Church of Ireland Churchyard, County Cork.

Bowie, John. (Cork).
    Unit: H. M. Drifter "Morning Star IV.”
    Service No: 3155ES.
    Date of death: 14/06/1917.
    Born: Buckpool, Banffshire.
    Next of kin, etc: Husband of Mary Rodger, of 37, Gordon St., Buckie, Banffshire.
    The Fermanagh Herald and Monaghan News, 16/10/1915. Cork Schooner Wrecked. A Waterford telegram reports that the schooner Morning Star, bound from Cardiff to Baltmourra with a cargo of 190 tons of coal, has been wrecked, and the Captain named Christopher, with two seamen and a passenger names James Casey, were drowned. A seaman named Denis Flynn, who was badly injured, was saved. The vessel belonged to the port of Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: In near left part (from McCurtain Hill entrance).
    Cemetery: Kilgariffe Church of Ireland Churchyard, County Cork.

Bowler, Edward St Kentigern. (Carlow).
    Regiment or Service: Machine Gun Corps.
    Unit: 72nd Infantry.
    Service No: 27747.
    Date of death: 12/08/1916.
    Born: Keswick (SDGW) Offaly (IMR).
    Enlisted: Cork.
    Death: Died of wounds at the Casualty Clearing Station based in Corbie, France.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of Staff. Q. M. S. Bowler (Royal Army Service Corps) and Mrs. W. J. Bowler, of Bough, Rathvilly, Co. Carlow.
    Irish Times. Bowler-Died of wounds received in Flanders on August 12, Edward Kentigern (Eddie) aged 22 years, formerly of Charleville, County Cork
    Notes: Formerly he was with the Royal Irish Rifles where his number was 10728.
    Grave/Memorial: Plot 2 Row A Grave 90.
    Cemetery: Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

Bowler, Maurice. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
    Unit: 10th Battalion.
    Service No: 22930.
    Date of death: 17/08/1917.
    Born: Queenstown, County Cork.
    Enlisted: Cork. Residence-Queenstown, County Cork.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of William and Margaret Bowler, of Queenstown, County Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: II F 34.
    Cemetery: Poperinghe Communal Cemetery, Belgium.

Bowler, Terence. (Kerry).
    Regiment or Service: Auckland Regiment, N. Z. E. F.
    Service No: 56545.
    Date of death: 10/09/1918.
    Next of kin, etc: Occupation on enlistment, labourer. Next of kin, (friend), Mrs N Lawlor. 212 Cuba Street, Wellington. Embarked for the front with 30th Reinforcements E Company on 13-October-1917 from Wellington, New Zealand on board the ‘Arawa. ’ Died of wounds. Son of William and Ellen Bowler, of Glenbeigh, Co. Kerry, Ireland.
    Grave/Memorial: R II H 1.
    Cemetery: St Sever Cemetery Extension, France.

Bowles, Augustine. (Limerick).
    Service No: 10884.
    Date of death: 10/09/1918.
    Born: Limerick.
    Enlisted: Limerick. Residence-Limerick.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late Joseph Bowles and Elizabeth Bowles, of 8, Thomondgate, Limerick. Previously served in 1st Battalion. Connaught Rangers.
    Limerick Leader, September, 1918. Limerick Soldier. Dies in French Hospital. News has been received in Limerick of the death in a French hospital of Sergeant A Bowles, 1st Connaught Rangers (attached 2nd Leinsters). The deceased, who was on foreign service at the outbreak of the war, arrived with the Indian Army in France in September, 1914, and was again in all the heavy fighting of that year. His regiment was also engaged in the battle of Ypres in 1915, and he was then wounded, but not seriously, and after a time in hospital he was engaged in the firing line. During the recent heavy fighting he was badly wounded, and died in Boulogne Hospital. Deceased, who resided at 8, Thomondgate, Limerick, was brother of Mr J. J. Bowles, and we tender our deepest sympathy to his parents and relatives in their great loss.
    Cork Examinera and the Limerick Chronicle, September, 1918. Sergeant A Bowles. News has been received by his father, Mr M Bowles, 8 Thomondgate, that his son, Sergeant A Bowles, 1st Connaught Rangers (attached 2nd Leinsters) had died from wounds received in action in a French hospital. The deceased, who was on foreign service at the outbreak of the war, arrived in France with the Indian Army in September, 1914. He was through the fighting following the retreat from Mons, and was war wounded in the battle of Ypres, 1915. During the recent heavy fighting he was seriously wounded, and succumbed to his injuries a few days ago. He was brother of Mr J J Bowles, and to him and his family the greatest sympathy is extended in their bereavement.
    Notes: Formerly he was with the Connaught Rangers where his number was 8711.
    Grave/Memorial: III. E. 9.
    Cemetery: Terlincthun British Cemetery, France.

Bowles, George Henry. (Louth).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Canadian Dragoons.
    Service No: 222.
    Date of death: 24/07/1915.
    Born: Dundalk, County Louth.
    Enlisted: Valcartier.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of Trumpeter Major and Mrs Jane Bowles, of 55 Murillo Road, Lee, London. Native of Dundalk.
    In the Nominal Roll his next next of kin is listed as Jane Bowler, 55 Murrills Road, Lee, London.
    Notes: DOB 21/04/1887.
    Grave/Memorial: II B 4.
    Cemetery: La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery, Belgium.

Bowles, Robert. (Wexford).
    Regiment or Service: Hampshire Regiment.
    Unit: 14th Service Battalion.
    Service No: 18662.
    Date of death: 27/03/1918.
    Born: New Ross, County Wexford.
    Enlisted: Portsmouth. Residence-Newbawn, County Wexford.
    Death: Died of wounds.
    Grave/Memorial: III B 7.
    Cemetery: Bellicourt British Cemetery, France.

Bowman, Albert Aldridge. (Kilkenny).
    Regiment or Service: Hampshire Regiment.
    Unit: 12th (Service) Battalion.
    Service No: 15418.
    Date of death: 25/04/1917.
    Born: Kilkenny.
    Enlisted: Waterford.
    Death: Killed in action in the Balkans.
    Cemetery: Doiran Memorial, Greece.

Bowman, Archibald. (Cork).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
    Service No: 7075.
    Date of death: 04/11/1918.
    Enlisted: Cork.
    Death: Died of wounds.
    Grave/Memorial: Panel 10.
    Cemetery: Vis-En-Artois Memorial, France.

Bowman, James. (Limerick).
    Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.
    Unit: C Company, 2nd Battalion.
    Service No: 5977.
    Date of death: 13/10/1915.
    Born: St Michael's, County Limerick.
    Enlisted: Ennis, County Clare. Residence-Limerick.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of Mrs. Mary Bowman, of 4, Whites Lane, Parnell Street, Limerick.
    Limerick Leader, May, 1915. Limerick Soldiers Tribute. To Brave Irish Priest. Letter From the Front. This morning’s post brought us the following letter, written in hospital and dated May 15th, from Private J Danaher, a Limerick man, in the 2nd R. M. Fusiliers, now with the British Expeditionary Force in France;--To the editor of the Limerick Leader. Dear Sir—Would you be so kind as to have this little slip of dfiary published in a vacant space in your paper on behalf of the men whose names are signed below. On the 5th May, we were formed up in a ring outside our billets, in company with Father Gleeson, singing hymns, when the order came to move to the firing line. n Saturday night, 8th May, we marched off, headed by Father Gleeson, with some National flags. We got there about 12 o’clock that night just in time for the big bombardment, in which we lost heavily. On Sunday, 9th May, it was terrible, houses, chapels, trees, and bodies flying in the air. Still Father Gleeson stuck to his post, attending to the wounded and dying Munsters, and shells dropping all round him. Indeed, if anyone has earned the V. C. Father Gleeson has. He is a credit to the county he hails from. Oh, the plucky work this Irish priest has done out here for the regiment. One could never stop praising him; he has brought luck to the Munsters since he joined them. The men who are with him, and especially Limerick men, speak very highly of him. He sent back to Ireland for hymn books to have us singing every evening in the open. On the 1st May, he erected a little chapel in the open, for which he got one of the boys to make a little wooden cross, and got the words “St Mary’s” printed on it, it being the month of May. The following Sunday he had his first \mass in it, with all the battalion present. Signed by the following Limerick men;--Private J Danaher, Private B Squires, Private Bowman, Private T Lynch, Private J Whelan (painters and makers of abovementioned cross).
    Grave/Memorial: Panel 127.
    Cemetery: Loos Memorial, France.

Bowman, John Henry. (Dublin).
    Regiment or Service: Army Cyclist Corps.
    Unit: 10th Div. Cyclist Coy.
    Service No: 1503.
    Date of death: 27/04/1915.
    Born: Workington, Cumberland.
    Enlisted: Chester. Residence-Workington.
    Death: Died of Aurtic Valvular Disease at King George V Hospital, a married man-Death Certificate.
    Cork Examiner. 29/04/1915. 7208. In Dublin Barracks. Alleged Fatal Mistake. Dublin, Wednesday. A private in the 10th Divisional Cycling Coprs, named John H Bowman, was found unconscious in his quarters at the Royal Barracks, and was conveyed at once to King George V Hospital, Arbour Hill, where it was found that life was extinct. According to the information received by the police, Bowman had been suffering from a bad sore throat for the past fortnight, but refused to go on the sick list. Between five and six on Tuesday evening he complained that his throat was very bad. Some of his comrades gave him a mixture of butter and sugar to relieve his cough. This he could not take, and shortly after he was found sitting on an armchair in his room, apparently unconscious. Death occurred before his admission to the hospital. On Saturday last deceased got a cough bottle, which he used, and in the room there was another bottle containing liniment, with which he used to anoint his back. Fears are expressed that the deceased may have taken some of the liniment by mistake.
    Freeman’s Journal, 29/04/1915. Soldier’s Death. From heart Disease. On Tuesday afternoon a private in the 10th Divisional Cycling Corps, named John H Bowman, was found unconscious in his quarters at the Royal Barracks, and was conveyed at once to King George V Hospital, Arbour Hill, where it was found that life was extinct. According to the information received by the police, Bowman had been suffering from a bad sore throat for the past fortnight, but refused to go on the sick list. Between five and six on Tuesday evening he complained that his throat was very bad. Some of his comrades gave him a mixture of butter and sugar to relieve his cough. This he could not take, and shortly after he was found sitting on an armchair in his room, apparently unconscious. Death occurred before his admission to the hospital. On Saturday last deceased got a cough bottle, which he used, and in the room there was another bottle containing liniment, with which he used to anoint his back. Fears were at first expressed that the deceased may have taken some of the liniment by mistake but this turned out to be unfounded. At 4 30 yesterday afternoon, the City Coroner, dr Louis A Byrne, held an inquest on the body of the deceased in the hospital. Sergeant Herbert Rust, in reply to the Coroner said that there was no evidence whatever of the man having taken the liniment. They had no suspicion of his having taken it by mistake. Captain Vincent Nash, R. A. M. C., gave evidence that a post mortem examination revealed that deceased suffered from fatty degeneration of the heart, and the aortic valve was incompetent. A verdict from heart disease was returned.
    Evening Herald, 30/04/1914. Dublin Military Funeral. The funeral attended with military honours, took place last evening to the garrison cemetery, Phoenix Park, of the late Sergeant Robert H Ford, 3rd Battalion, 18th Royal Irish Regiment, Beggar’s Bush Barracks. The cortege from the Royal Infirmary, Parkgate Street, was preceded by a firing party with the band of the battalion, after which came the four horsed gun-carriage containing the coffin enveloped in the Union ensign, on the lid resting the khaki head dress and side arm appointments of the deceased soldier, former comrade sergeants acting as pall bearers. The rere of the procession consisted of a detachment of officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the Royal Irish marching in double file. At the conclusion of the burial service by the army chaplain the firing party and buglers rendered the parting tributes at the graveside. The funeral also took place to-day, attended by the usual service honours, from the King George Hospital, Arbour Hill, of the late Private John H Bowman, of the 19th Divisional Cycling Corps.
    Notes: Formerly he was with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers where his number was 12187.
    Grave/Memorial: CE. 599.
    Cemetery: Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Many thanks Enfield.
    That is a superb body of painstaking work, no wonder it got so many great reviews!

Thank you kindly Pedroe.

• Advertisement

22 inches is the shelf space needed to house them, they weigh 23 kilos.
    DSCF7064_zpsapw68dhx.jpg

DSCF7066_zps0qua1kkl.jpg

Advertisement