Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quotes

• 12-05-2003 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Heres a list of the best quotes from

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90259

If you have any suggestions please PM them to me or Mark and we'll add them in.

Irish History

1870 - 1914 :

Issac Butt

"Butt was the classic example of a Condervative-Unionist finally converted to nationalism by the courage and self abandonment of the Fenians"

- T.W. Moody

"We regard these amnesty meetings with something beyond ordinary favour; we regard them as meaning more than the release of the Fenian prisioners. We look upon them as the resurrection of a nation from it deathlike torpor"

- John O' Mahony

"Butt must be given credit for having launched the ship of Home Rule, and while he proved to be a poor captain, he got the ship well out to sea"

- J.J. Lee

Davitt :

"He did for the Land League, what Collins did for Sinn Fein, and Lemass for Fianna Fiall"

- J.J. Lee

Parnell :

"From the bumbling political novice in 1875 to the leader of the Irish people at homeand abroad, his rise to power constitutes one of the most impressive in Irish History"

- J.J. Lee

Cultural Nationalism

"The Irish are in an anomalous position - imitating England and yet hating it.......just as we start to build a new nation we find ourselves despailed of the brickes of nationality"

"GAA swept the country like a praire fire"

- Cusack

"We will show that Ireland is not the home of buffoonery and easy sentiment....but ancient idealism"

- Yeats(I think)

Militant Nationalism

"If they trick us again I myself will lead a revolution"
    -P.H. Pearse

---

Free State and onwards :

"Those who take the pay and wear the uniform of the state must remain non-political servants of the state"

- Kevin O Higgins

"And Cosgrave would do the state of ship one final service, by the manner in which he handed over the bridge of the state of
    ship to the rival captain. Bitter as it was in party terms, indeed percisly because it was so bitter, it was his finest hour"

- J.J. Lee

Dev 32-70

"To protect free speach and be anti-communist"

- BlueShirts motto

---

Europeon History

Germany 1870-1914

"My ambition strives me to command rather than obey"

- Bismark at age 23

---

Imperialism

"...But if you do not do this [convert to Catholicism), and maliciously make delay in it, I certify to you that, with the help of God, we shall powerfully enter into your country, and shall make war against you in all ways and manners that we can, and shall subject you to the yoke and obedience of the Church and of their highnesses; we shall take you, and your wives, and your children, and shall make slaves of them, and as such shall sell and dispose of them as their highnesses may command; and we shall take away your goods, and shall do you all the mischief and damage that we can, as to vassals who do not obey, and refuse to receive their lord, and resist and contradict him; and we protest that the deaths and losses which shall accrue from this are your fault, and not that of their highnesses, or ours, nor of these cavaliers who come with us."

"There is more power in his loin cloth than all the guns in the British army"

-Saying about Gandi in the 20's

"They talk to me about progress, about 'achievements', diseases cured, improved standards of living. I am talking about societies drained of their essence, cultures trampled underfoot, institutions undermined, lands confiscated, religions smashed, magnificent artisitic creations destroyed, extraordinary possibilites wiped off"

- Aimé Césaire Discourse on Colonialism, 1950

"Wherever wood floats, there I shall find the flag of England"

- Napoleon

---

Russia

"It is better to abolish serfdom from above than wait for it to abolish itself from below"

1857- Alexander II

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

-Churchill

"History is on our side...we will bury you!"

- Khrushchev

---

Causes of World War One

"In the 16th Century the Ottoman empire streched from the gates of Vienna to the Indian Ocean to Algiers"

---

World War One

"As a tribunal for ascertaining the rights and wrongs of a dispute, war is crude, uncertain and costly......let all who trust justice to the arbitrament of war bear in mind that the issue may depend less on the righteousness of the cause than on the cunning and craft of the contestants. And the cost is prohibitive. The death of ten millions and the mutilation of another twenty millions....is a terrible bill of costs to pay in suit for determining the responsibility and penalty for the murder of two persons"

-David Llyod George-War Memoirs

"The lamps are going out all over Europe and we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime"

- Sir Edward Grey after war was declared

---

Period of Appeasement

"I feel sure that the time for small kingdoms has passed away. The future is with the Great Empires and it rests with us to say whether our own shall be counted for many years to come as one of the greatest or we shall split up into minor comparatively unimportant nationalities"

- Joseph Chamberlain

"I believe it is peace for our time"

- Chamberlin after returning from 30 Sept 1938 meeting with Hitler. War was declared 11:00am Sep 3rd 1939

"I moved into Austria to prevent this country from becoming another Spain"

- Hitler on his annexation of Austria

---

World War Two

"The governments of Germany, Italy and Japan consider the prequisite of a lasting peace that every nation in the world shall recieve the space to which it is entitled. They have, therefore, decided to stand by and cooperate with one another in their efforts in Greater East Asia and the regions of Europe respectively. In doing this it is their prime purpose to establish and maintain a new order of things."

-Tripartite Part, September 1940

"If they want a war of extermination, they shall have one!"

- Stalin(November 7 1942 Speech in Moscow)

"When air raids got severe, and there was no opposition by our planes, and factories were destroyed, I felt as if we were fighting machinery with bamboo. We could hardly stand it. The Government kept telling us that they would defeat the United States forces once they landed here, but as my house was burned down and I had no food, clothing or shelter, I didn't know
    how I could go on."

Japanese Bombing Victim, 1946

Cold War

"Conscious of the special responsibilty of the USSR and the US for maintaining peace, [they] have agreed that a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought. Recognizing that any conflict between the USSR and the US could have catastrophic consequences, they emphasize the importance of preventing any war between them, whether Nuclear or Convential."

Reagan-Gorbachev Joint Statement, 1985

"The mere absence of war is not peace."

- John F. Kennedy

/edit Mark- spelling mistakes make me cry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wit

"Wit is educated insolence."
    - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction."
    - General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)

Churchill

Lady:"Mr Churchill you are drunk"
    Churchill:"And Madame you are ugly, but I will be sober in the morning".

Lady:"Mr Churchill, if you were my husband I'd poison your tea".
    Churchill:"If you were my wife I'd drink it".

"The price of greatness is responsibility."

"The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it."

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

---

Advice? [A suggestion for a better heading?]

"A person should not believe in an 'ism,' a person should believe in himself."
    - JFK

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies."
    - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
    - John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
    - Al Capone (1899-1947)

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
    - Robert Orben

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
    - Sun Tzu

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood."
    - General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."
    - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

'A fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.'
    - Bismark

'A generation that has taken a beating is followed by a generation that gives one'
    - Bismark

"I have learned through bitter experience the one supreme lesson to conserve my anger, and as heat conserved is transmitted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmitted into a power that can move the world."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."
    -Churchill

"If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time--a tremendous whack."
    - Churchill

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
    - Churchill

"Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will then be powerless to vex your mind."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

"No man is rich enough to buy back his past."
    - Oscar Wilde

"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason."
    - Oscar Wilde

"Read no history: nothing but biography, for that is life without theory."
    - Benjamin Disraeli

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
    - General George S. Patton

"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow."
    - George Patton

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."
    - George Patton

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
    - Gandhi

"Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress."
    - Gandhi

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall - think of it, ALWAYS."
    - Gandhi

"My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."
    - Gandhi

"When inspiration does not come to me, I go halfway to meet it."
    - Sigmund Freud

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    - Mark Twain

---

Poverty

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread."
    - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

---

Politics

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative,has no brains."
    - Churchill

"When asked to name the chief qualification a politician should have. "It's the ability to foretell what will happen tomorrow, next month, and next year --- and to explain afterward why it didn't happen."
    - Churchill

"...we do not say that a man who takes no interest in politics minds his own business. We say that he has no business here at
    all."
    - Pericles

---

Women

"The great question that has never been answered and which I have not been able to answer....is, What does a women want?"
    - Sigmund Freud

---

Misc

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"I begin by taking. I shall find scholars later to demonstrate my perfect right."
    - Frederick (II) the Great

"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
    - Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Why don't you write books people can read?"
    - Nora Joyce to her husband James (1882-1941)

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.

"To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself."
    - Einstein

"I have deep faith that the principle of the universe will be beautiful and simple."
    - Einstein

"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift."
    - Einstein

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
    - Einstein

"Throughout history it has been the inaction of those who could have acted the indifference of those who should have known better, the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most, that has made it possible for evil to triumph."
    - Haille Selassie

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history."
    - George Bernard Shaw

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love.
    - Martin Luther King Jr

"Does history record any case in which the majority was right?"
    - Robert A. Heinlein

"No man is an Ireland."
    - Chicago Mayor Richard Daley

"There are three kinds of lies:lies, damn lies and statistics"
    - Disraeli

---

Mark's 4 way quote bananza!

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance."
    - Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"Plato was a bore."