Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

An update of sorts...

From irishgenealogy.ie
    Update to the Civil Records

Published: Friday, 11 January 2019 11:13

We are pleased to advise that in early 2019, an additional 2 years of records of births, marriages and deaths will be added to the www.irishgenealogy.ie website. The marriage Index data along with additional images will also be updated for the years 1864-1869 inclusive.

The years covered by the release of the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths after this update will be:

Births: 1864 to 1918

Marriages: 1864* to 1943

Deaths: 1878* to 1968

* The General Register Office will continue to work on updating further records of Marriages dating back to 1845 and Deaths dating back to 1864. These will be included in future updates to the records available on the website.

The General Register Office is dealing with the feedback on the records – where records required correction this will be included in this updated release. Further details of this release will be confirmed early in 2019.

So the promised delivery of all absent records by November has been well and truly kicked to touch. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Disappointed .... I am interested in 1869 death but I suppose I could get self to Werburgh Street and pay up!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

Some good news is better than no good news. But it's those early deaths that are so useful in taking us back into the 1700s, if the person was elderly when they died.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Pleased to hear this, even if it's not what was promised.

Just yesterday I wanted to check a 1918 birth and it seems like I'll be able to do it soon.

Semantics question: at which month does "early" end? I suspect April.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Immature it may be, I know, but my only response is to roll my eyes and mutter 'whatever...'

I'd rather they said nothing and announced when it was done. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    I'd rather they said nothing and announced when it was done. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

If anything needed to be said it was an apology for the delay instead of presenting a retrograde step as a development.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi, I'm trying to locate the civil marriage record of Conway and Lyston (Liston) who were married in Kilteely/Dromkeen, Co. Limerick on 11 April, 1869 according to parish register? I'm looking for fathers' names. Thanks

That year's marriages aren't online yet. You can get it from the GRO.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    Exactly.

If anything needed to be said it was an apology for the delay instead of presenting a retrograde step as a development.

Welcome to the world of ‘spin’.
    • 1. Minister announces a ‘great news’ project A, but fails to give deadline date or quantify the resources dedicated to it.
    • 2. Civil servants get stuck with the next flavour of the month project B, are told to run with it and they forget about/have insufficient resources for project A. (Got to keep the boss happy.)
    • 3. Electorate asks about project A, is generally ignored or fed a line of waffle. The original end-date was hazy anyway!
    • 4. Cognizant of possible fall-out, the Minister’s minders issue a press statement in which earlier promises/delays/mistakes/negatives are totally ignored and a ‘new’ (i.e. revised) statement is issued. It of course says much the same thing, watered down, but announced as new ‘good news’.
    • 5. A journalist is asked by an editor to cover a topic s/he knows little or nothing about (and has no interest in) so s/he copies/cuts/pastes the ministerial line out of laziness/lack of interest/a hangover.
    The Minister for Arts Heritage and the Gaeltacht has one role and one set of minders. The benefits of the GRO project accrue mainly to Tourism, which has a different minister & minders, about whom the former 'crew' cares not a fig. The fact that Tourism is an Independent makes it even less interesting and that it is Shane Ross is even worse.

Ministers will only apologise when backed against a wall by a baying media/electorate. It takes several deaths for that (maybe) to happen; certainly a series of missed deadlines is not sufficient!

Sad but true Pedro.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ministers will only apologise when backed against a wall by a baying media/electorate. It takes several deaths for that (maybe) to happen; certainly a series of missed deadlines is not sufficient!

But where would you find more deaths than in the GRO records?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

We are pleased to advise that in early 2019, an additional 2 years of records of births, marriages and deaths will be added to the www.irishgenealogy.ie website. The marriage Index data along with additional images will also be updated for the years 1864-1869 inclusive. The years covered by the release of the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths after this update will be:

Births: 1864 to 1918
    Marriages: 1864* to 1943
    Deaths: 1878* to 1968

At least it's something

Already mentioned in a thread on the matter some weeks back.

One could reasonably argue that it's less than something as what they're promising is less than what was supposed to have been delivered two months previous to this announcement.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Also there's no date! It's a non-announcement.

I'll merge the threads so everyone can have a collective heart attack.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Also there's no date! It's a non-announcement.

I'll merge the threads so everyone can have a collective heart attack.

My heart actually skipped a beat for a second! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Happy April Fool's Day

I might ban you for that!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Alright, I don't want to alarm people but I just found many 1869 marriages imaged online!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Alright, I don't want to alarm people but I just found many 1869 marriages imaged online!

Please elaborate on 'found' ?
    An 1869 marriage in Kilkenny/Wexford is still imageless for me.

I was doing a random wide-ranging search and there was an 1869 image, so I did a wider search for any marriage anywhere in 1869 and there were lots of images, but not all.
    I'd say they're testing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

I was doing a random wide-ranging search and there was an 1869 image, so I did a wider search for any marriage anywhere in 1869 and there were lots of images, but not all.
    I'd say they're testing.

I think they are teasing us

Claire Santry's take on the latest development:
    No, they are not online yet, but there is some technical testing being carried out in preparation for an upload.
    This may mean some small batches of records that you wouldn't expect to be online yet may appear in search results.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My birth record will be searchable by the time they finish this I think.

It's a toss up between the GRO and Brexit as to who finishes first!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

It's Chriiiistmaaaaas! According to the Irish Times the latest tranche of records to be released today. Marriages from 1864 and deaths up to 1968.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Excellent, that news will get me through the working day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Claire Santry hasnt update her Blog yet on the Release

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MAGZERFLOOD

From the Journal.ie

So six months late they deliver half of what was promised...:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Claire has it up now.

That's great news.

I need to rest up an injury and now I have a perfect excuse. I already have a list of expected marriages and births for those years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement