Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Plenty of thunder over north Kilkenny right now but no visible lightning from where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

West Clare looking north, looks like some action to be had soon in Mid/North/East clare.

512301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder booming away in Castlecomer

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Skies above Newport around 2pm, all that heat is going up!

Edit: nice pileus in that pic actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorm warning has been issued

Valid: Until 10pm tonight
    "Clusters of slow moving thunderstorms this afternoon and early evening with lightning activity and local downpours"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some big convective looking clouds north of cork city, looks to be over the mallowish area? Anybody there getting anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

*jealous*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

We've had 45 minutes of constant thunder here in Tralee... still going

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Some big convective looking clouds north of cork city, looks to be over the mallowish area? Anybody there getting anything?

I’m in Mallow but nothing happening yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Savage thunder with over 13mm so far from a shower in south tipp and hail stones thrown in for the mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

These showers are pure heaven, 7mm so far here in north Kilkenny.
    There was a lot of thunder but I saw no lightning yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wicked thunder headache here on Dublin/Meath border, any chance of some action later to provide some relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

You could here the rain from half a kilometer away it was so heavy. Aherlow south tipp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of thunder here near Tralee, so far nothing overhead, came close a short time ago but dissipated.

c1bjWfS.jpg?1

https://twitter.com/Meteorite58/status/1259134078349119489?s=20

L4la5Nu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Savage thunder with over 13mm so far from a shower in south tipp and hail stones thrown in for the mix

Ended up with 15mm from that shower

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice Sat Pic of the convection forming.

XdoKzok.gif

3iTBmLD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just heard a rumble of thunder in the distance in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This dumping a lot of rain. 14.4mm in the last hour, it started off with hail and proceeded to heavier rain, reached a max of 126.6mm/hr and lots of thunder.
    Temperature went from 22.9C to a current 15.2C.
    Ongoing thunder but rain has eased to 4.2mm/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just had 20 mm of rain in the last hour in, north kerry.
    Thunder, lightening, hail, rain. Skies are clearing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Rumbles of thunder around Mallow now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Have been listening to thunder claps across the water in south Kerry since before 3pm. Continuous loud, echoing booms, like explosions or gunfire. Very menacing and eerie. Wouldn't like to have been under it. Meanwhile here in west Kerry the sun has kept shining all day, but the warning is in place until 10 pm, so, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Thunder rumbling again SE Tipp. Raining lightly with lots of blue sky and the warmest day of the year too.

I recorded this earlier near Rearcross in tipperary.

https://youtu.be/BxK8quoe1Wc

The sound you hear when the lightning strikes is a transformer on a pole near me.

Good crack off that !

Quietened down now here Tralee.

QrYSGpB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Continuous thunder in Kilkenny almost got the past hour or more. Trying to rain (we badly need it!). Not seen any lightning yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Update
    Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois and Galway

Clusters of slow-moving thunderstorms this afternoon and early evening with lightning activity and local downpours. Some hail in places also.

Valid: 16:00 Saturday 09/05/2020 to 22:00 Saturday 09/05/2020

Issued: 16:00 Saturday 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

The damn snow shield has become a thunder storm shield around cork city 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Have you thought about moving to an improved location?

These storms will dissipate quickly this evening and much colder air for tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday but a lot more stable.

Enjoy those who have storms this evening!

I'm jealous and I hate you all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Just turned my power back on briefly, that is the worst/best hail storm I have had hit us here (10 years). Marble sized for a good 10 minutes, damaging size. I grabbed the phone and recorded a few clips uploading now.

We had continuous thunder for at least an hour, with lighting every 30 seconds or so, towards the end some great mammatus clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have you thought about moving to an improved location?

These storms will dissipate quickly this evening and much colder air for tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday but a lot more stable.

Enjoy those who have storms this evening!

I'm jealous and I hate you all :(

In addition to an hour of a storm, we also had our first swallows last night :D

• Advertisement

Funnel cloud briefly appeared in Ennis, spectacular lightning show under way.

Advertisement