Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Cool so if they keep to that schedule i should have mine in 4 weeks. Funny how none of the celebs on the late late show had 0 community mathches.

Anybody know how long it takes after it hits lab processing?
    I assume my sample must be good, at least I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

JamboMac wrote: »
    Anybody know how long it takes after it hits lab processing?
    I assume my sample must be good, at least I hope so.

Mine in lab at present. Reached lab 3 days ago - prior to that it was 46 days from the time they acknowledged receipt. Will let you know when it moves from lab processing.

BowWow wrote: »
    Mine in lab at present. Reached lab 3 days ago - prior to that it was 46 days from the time they acknowledged receipt. Will let you know when it moves from lab processing.

Thanks, hope I find something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I went and checked my results, it's been a year and I expected some changes with the amount of new samples ancestry must have been getting.

All I could find was my trace of "Iberian peninsula" went up from 1% to 3%.

I'm still mostly Europe West, Ireland and Scandinavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Mine took about a week from when it went into lab processing until I got the results.

Initially, I had no genetic communities but last week it was updated and a community was added (Cork, which would be accurate)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Mine finally went into lab processing yesterday. Also 42 days since they received it!

Ordered some new tests for family members who might not be around in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Got my Ancestry results today. My test was received on March 27th, results today.

Interesting enough!
    Ireland 53%
    Great Britain 21%
    Scandinavia 15%
    Italy/Greece 3%
    Iberian peninsula 2%
    Finland 2%

Europe East <1%
    Middle East 2%
    Caucasus <1%

For genetic communities I got: North Connacht, Munster Irish, Northern England, Southern Enland, English in West Midlands.

My Mother is Irish and Father is English. I want to do one with another company now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Got my Ancestry results today. My test was received on March 27th, results today.

Interesting enough!
    Ireland 53%
    Great Britain 21%
    Scandinavia 15%
    Italy/Greece 3%
    Iberian peninsula 2%
    Finland 2%

Europe East <1%
    Middle East 2%
    Caucasus <1%

For genetic communities I got: North Connacht, Munster Irish, Northern England, Southern Enland, English in West Midlands.

My Mother is Irish and Father is English. I want to do one with another company now..

What part of England is your father from? Many of British samples are going to have "Scandinavian" show up as a component. Here's a table from a blog post back in 2015 (when their database was considerably smaller). This can be quite ancient, now it's not necessary "Viking" in origin, but some of it could also reflect earlier movement to Britain in the post-Roman period (eg. post 400AD)

1dcounties.png

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015/06/23/ancestrydna-the-viking-in-the-room/

With regards to the genetic communities they will give you a percentage on how accurate they think they are, do the Irish ones match up with your mother's known ancestry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

What should be remember is that the "Ireland" component is really a bit of a minomer, it reflects an ancestral component that is modal in modern Irish population, but it is more widespread geographically than just Ireland. So in reality it probably reflective of a population structure found across NW insular Europe. (possibly dating back a considerable time) see following blog posts:
    https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015/03/16/what-does-our-dna-tell-us-about-being-irish/

2017:
    https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/01/25/ancestrydna-the-irish-connection/

(note the French sample in blog -- with Northern French ancestry-- got 25% "Ireland")

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    What part ofEngland is your father from? Many of British samples are going to have "Scandinavian" show up as a component.

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015/06/23/ancestrydna-the-viking-in-the-room/

With regards to the genetic communities they will give you a percentage on how accurate they think they are, do the Irish ones match up with your mother's known ancestry?

That's interesting. My Father's family are from Lancashire (north west England). My Mother is actually half English, I should have mentioned that. Her Mother is from London. Her father's family are from Kerry. So the Munster connection makes sense. Although it was 20% for each one. Not a huge chance but it does make sense!

I have an Irish surname (from my Dad's side) and they do have Irish ancestry.

My cousin in England was actually making a family tree of my Dad's side, so I really should get onto him about it.

Interesting enough!
    Ireland 53%
    Great Britain 21%
    Scandinavia 15%
    Italy/Greece 3%
    Iberian peninsula 2%
    Finland 2%
    Europe East <1%
    Middle East 2%
    Caucasus <1%

Thanks for sharing - interesting they received your test on the 27th. March and its completed, mine is in since 24th March so hopefully I'll have it soon.

Instead of doing another test why don't you log your Gedcom file?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hope all the folks here getting the DNA tests for genealogical reasons (no matter which company) are uploading them to GEDmatch and filling out a tree.

Just uploaded to GEDmatch there.

Some good tests on it. Much more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So my test arrived with Ancestry on the 23rd of March, processing started on the 8th of May. Really hoping that the results come in soon.

What would you do if you found a brother or sister you didn't know about before this?

Just uploaded to GEDmatch there.

Some good tests on it. Much more information.

What is "gedmatch" and how do I upload my results to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

my results arrived at last - 78% Irish, 15% English, 2% Europe, 1% West Asia... so someone was traipsing around Turkey and Asia minor.

I'm surprised that most of the DNA matches from Ancestry are on my mother's side. I was getting a bit worried, but then found a match with a descendant of my dad's mother's line [phew!]. That was a woman born in the 1850s, ended up in West Virginia. So it does work...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What is "gedmatch" and how do I upload my results to it?

It's a free site https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php where you can compare your DNA results with others, even if they did not take the same test as you.

I was tested under Family Tree DNA Autosomal tests, so I can only speak of it, but I would imagine the others have a similar procedure.

First you register and account on GEDMatch - it's free.
    The next page you see will have an option 'Raw DNA file uploads'. They have detailed instructions on what to do for Ancestry, FTDNA, WeGene, MyHeritage results and another for 'generic' results.

When you upoload your results, give it a couple of days and it will match you to those already uploaded. The numbers are much larger than any of the individual companies databases, so you will get more results.

GEDMatch has a number of useful tools you can use, some at a small cost.

Their eye color prediction was scarily accurate in my case.

spurious wrote: »

Their eye color prediction was scarily accurate in my case.

Same. Just logged in there and data has already been uploaded. Lots more matches. Thanks to the posters in this thread for making me aware of this..

Great info here about GEDmatch: Tip for using GEDmatch.

• Advertisement

Yes. GEDmatch looks great, I uploaded my Ancestry results last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Also kits are assigned a prefix: A for uploads from Ancestry, M for 23and me and F or T from Family Tree DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

For anyone who did Ancestry testing, as well as uploading the raw DNA data to Gedmatch, it's also worth uploading the results to FTDNA (Family Tree) in order to get as many matches as possible. It's free to upload the DNA results and you can upgrade fro $19 to unlock your ethnicity.

My big gripe is all those matches who don't bother to upload even a basic tree with family names. No hope of finding common ancestors if there are no clues given. Also, the number of people who don't reply to queries is frustrating, makes me wonder why they bother doing the DNA test.

Got my DNA 92% Irish
    4% Europe west
    2% Great Britain
    1% Finland/north west Russia
    Less than 1% Scandinavia.

Really wish I had a better definition for Europe west.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Posted mine off on 2nd April and just got the results.
    Ethnicity Estimate
    69% Ireland
    29% Great Britain
    2% Other regions

They've only listed one genetic community which is Munster (no surprise there). Do you have to have a full Ancestry subscription to make the most of the results. I've started messaging the suggested connections - got one back already. She's based in Montreal and I know exactly where she fits into my tree. I've also uploaded my results and tree up to Gedcom. Any advice would be much appreciated.

jos28 wrote: »
    Posted mine off on 2nd April and just got the results.
    Ethnicity Estimate
    69% Ireland
    29% Great Britain
    2% Other regions

They've only listed one genetic community which is Munster (no surprise there). Do you have to have a full Ancestry subscription to make the most of the results. I've started messaging the suggested connections - got one back already. She's based in Montreal and I know exactly where she fits into my tree. I've also uploaded my results and tree up to Gedcom. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Did your results arrive on a sunday?

I'm not sure when they updated my profile with my results. I didn't get an email from Ancestry. I got back from holidays last night and just logged on today to check and there they were.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Got my DNA 92% Irish
    4% Europe west
    2% Great Britain
    1% Finland/north west Russia
    Less than 1% Scandinavia.

Really wish I had a better definition for Europe west.

Had some fun with GedMatch, but don't understand some of it or what its telling me.

West european = 57.05
    east european = 9.82
    mediteranian = 24.29
    west asia = 6.69
    northeast asian = .32
    south asian = 1.82

Anybody understand some of the gedmatch tools could explain what they are telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Mine came through at 4 o'clock this morning! They must be working all hours.

Anyway, I'm pretty Irish. But I found the DNA connection for my poor orphaned, abandoned Nanny! Well worth the money already.

417997.JPG

• Advertisement

Forgive me if sounds like a stupid question but I've only used Ancestry during 'free' offer times or briefly when I started researching. As I mentioned previously I have my DNA results, I've been messaging the suggested connections. I suppose I really need to see their trees to make the most of this. Can some kind person recommend which subscription would be best. I'll probably only subscribe for a month just to get what I need. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Advertisement