Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2019, 22:15   #961
Donnielighto

National team players to to play there.
Teams get supported.
Due to success of the English teams relatively to Irish and the presence of Irish international players in the UK game there is interest leading to newspaper and radio coverage. When tv becomes more prominent it has two impacts houses that have extra channels, all UK, would have English soccer on offer, also due to lack of tv at Irish matches it means that tv viewers in the pub or at home only have one option available to them.

Eventually interest due to the population reaching enough exposure to it becomes self perpetuating, people get their favourite teams for various reasons but if it isn't your dad or brother having supported them it could be an Irish presence at the club or any other of random reasons. If the number of people passing down interest is high enough people will follow it and most of them will have a favourite team for some reason or other while a smaller number will be interested in the league in general. It's a long running soap opera and supporting a a team adds to the drama.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2019, 22:16   #962
DeanAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
You sound staunch as f*ck to be honest. I've no doubt your little lad will end up the same. Hope you had a great time regardless of the result.
Will hopefully get him to some LOI games during the summer. He should know there’s football here too and my LOI team are even more of a **** up than Spurs so I’m looking forward to proper ruining his life...
02-06-2019, 22:17   #963
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanAustin View Post
Even a kid who picks LOI over GAA has to force an emotional attachment by picking one sport over another by your logic.

I agree on the Manc/Scouse scum nonsense by the way. But there is an inherent pseudo intellectual condescension in your posts. Calling fans of English teams consumers and assuming they all have beer guts and watch games in pubs.

I took my little boy to Tottenham for the game yesterday. We both sat in the stadium afterwards devastated and about half a dozen Londoners, dealing with their own disappointment, went out of their way to cheer my little fella up. It was really amazing. One of them even thanked us for making the effort to go over. But every time I take my lad over, we share something wonderful that is far more than just a brand and we feel and are made to feel part of it by the locals.

Also, my favourite golfer growing up was Bernhard Langer. Loved him and still do given what he’s done into his 50s and 60s. Am I a consumer of brand Langer too?
You don't need to pick GAA or LOI you can do both.

I think in fairness a few years back I remember a bit of a fuss about a Premier league chairman calling fans customers or something along those lines.

Here's the thing that's grand but imagine making those memories every Friday night
Thanks from:
02-06-2019, 22:19   #964
odyssey06

Quote:
Generally you'll find it's (B) being denigrated by the Irish public.

''Who do you support?''
''Shels''
''Yeah but which real team?''

''Who do you support?''
''Cork City''
''No, which English team?''

''Who do you support?''
''Bohs''
''That muck?!''
Well if you track my comments on this thread at no point have I done that.
If I say muck about a LOI team it's about the team not the LOI

It would be better if we could all just get along... and if LOI fans want to see more LOI fans they need to talk 'up' the experience of being there rather than talk 'down' the TV experience. The local angle I don't think will work either, because if someone puts local above all they will just reinforce their local GAA club.
02-06-2019, 22:21   #965
DeanAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
You don't need to pick GAA or LOI you can do both.

I think in fairness a few years back I remember a bit of a fuss about a Premier league chairman calling fans customers or something along those lines.

Here's the thing that's grand but imagine making those memories every Friday night
Lots of people only choose one sport to really follow.
Advertisement
02-06-2019, 22:21   #966
gormdubhgorm

Quote:
Plenty do just enjoy the sports. But ask yourself... Why is the World Cup so big? Why is the GAA Championship so popular? Why are derby games the ones with the best atmospheres. It's tribal. Sport is tribal by its very essence. The two things are intertwined and it's better for it.
That is the word I wish I used.
Tribal.
You don't pick your tribe you are born into it.

Those who pick thier tribe are basically choosing thier extended family.

You are born into a family/tribe and stuck with them whether you like it or not.
Putting on the warpaint of another tribe and tagging along for the experience is hardly the same thing?

That is just my view on it deep down it is your community.
Not someone else's - yours.
02-06-2019, 22:23   #967
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingriff View Post
Never in my life have I heard this unless it was in jest.
I have. I also was told ''enjoy your Sunday league football'' when I was on my way to a match (on a Friday, no less!). I must tell him to enjoy his British TV show next time his team are playing
Thanks from:
02-06-2019, 22:24   #968
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnielighto View Post
It's a long running soap opera and supporting a team adds to the drama.
So basically it's Eastenders for blokes? Emmerdale away is gonna be tough and then Corrie in the cup
(2) thanks from:
02-06-2019, 22:25   #969
D14Rugby

Quote:
Lots of people only choose one sport to really follow.
I'd say the majority of people don't. Maybe to play but most people I know would follow a few sports
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2019, 22:25   #970
odyssey06

Quote:
Plenty do just enjoy the sports. But ask yourself... Why is the World Cup so big? Why is the GAA Championship so popular? Why are derby games the ones with the best atmospheres. It's tribal. Sport is tribal by its very essence. The two things are intertwined and it's better for it.
Most of the viewers of a World Cup final or All Ireland final are neutrals though.
And a Champions League final v All ireland final, much difference in intensity? Nope.
Sport isn't tribal in its essence, though as humans are a tribal species we tag it as such.
The soccer teams we are discussing in this thread weren't formed by tribes or to encourage tribalism. County or country teams only exist because of clubs - which came first. They were all just groups of players starting out, one team of many in a city or town.

Sport doesn't need spectators. It doesn't need fans. It just needs players and participants.

Last edited by odyssey06; 02-06-2019 at 22:28.
02-06-2019, 22:26   #971
Omackeral

Quote:
Will hopefully get him to some LOI games during the summer. He should know there’s football here too and my LOI team are even more of a **** up than Spurs so I’m looking forward to proper ruining his life...
Destroy his hopes and dreams. Tell him he's going to watch Celtic vs AC Milan in Champions League and then bring him to Shamrock Rovers vs Longford Town in the League Cup 2nd Round.... in Longford.
02-06-2019, 22:27   #972

Quote:
Destroy his hopes and dreams. Tell him he's going to watch Celtic vs AC Milan in Champions League and then bring him to Shamrock Rovers vs Longford Town in the League Cup 2nd Round.... in Longford.
Longford is luxury in comparison to most. Down to Ferrycarrig.
02-06-2019, 22:28   #973
gormdubhgorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingriff View Post
But then all sports are brands and you are a consumer. It does not matter where that team or person is from you support
No they are not.
Because when a club involves locals it involves your friends family - community in a club.

Look at the Premier League clubs are followed world wide and the locals give out about the atmosphere because the crowd are there for a spectacle not a game.

If you are local and your team loses you have to rub shoulders with opposing rivals for the whole year. In Ireland the Premier League supporters try to ape that but it seems very forced.
Thanks from:
02-06-2019, 22:29   #974
Omackeral

I think this saying says it better than anything else.

02-06-2019, 22:32   #975
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Most of the viewers of a World Cup final or All Ireland final are neutrals though.
And a Champions League final v All ireland final, much difference in intensity? Nope.
Sport isn't tribal in its essence, though as humans are a tribal species we tag it as such.
The soccer teams we are discussing in this thread weren't formed by tribes or to encourage tribalism. County or country teams only exist because of clubs - which came first. They were all just groups of players starting out, one team of many in a city or town.
We disagree. Majorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Sport doesn't need spectators. It doesn't need fans. It just needs players and participants.
''Football without fans is nothing'' - Jock Stein
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion