Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Target was 13,500k. Today I’m at 13,637. Not back in work until Thursday, so hope to get another 200+k done this year.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Target was 13,500k. Today I’m at 13,637. Not back in work until Thursday, so hope to get another 200+k done this year.

You need exactly 363km no more no less to even that mess out !!!!!!

Enfilade wrote: »

Yeah I thought I'd get to 14,000 earlier in the year. 363 is possible, but ain't gonna happen! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hit the planned 8k Mark this morning. May get our two or three more times, nothing particularly long though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Enfilade wrote: »

Forget that, 12 more km and you're at a prime number. Way better than a nice even one

• Advertisement

Also, I;m working from home 9-5 for the next few days. So no cycling unless I get up early. I could probably actually go out and cycle as I expect zero emails, but I've also decided to trial a live chat so who knows.

I've hit my target anyway and done +10% and also done more this year than any other year. New House impacted it, might've got 10,000 if I had pushed it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Passed my target of 10000Km last week. I put an extra effort in during October and since I realised I was going to make the target, I've found the last 4 or 5 weeks tough going (the wet weather didn't help much either..), but I did almost as much as the previous 2 years combined this time out, so I'm happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well I've come in just under 6k for the year. Considering I lost nearly 2 months off the bike and off work after my crash in May I'm really happy with that. My early season targets and racing notions were all forgotten about, the main focus was just getting back moving again but I ended up in fairly OK shape again by the time our club trip to Spain came around in September. Didn't break any records but really enjoyed the climbs.
    Managed to keep the miles ticking over since then and finished in a lot better form than I expected.
    Capped it off by being "crowned" Half Wheeler Of The Year at our club awards ceremony. I've decided that rather than be insulted, I'll accept it with pride and try to defend it next year :D:D:D
    JpGawCF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I managed 10,000km in 2017 and hoped to keep that distance up in 2018 but I lost a whole year of cycling thanks to a lung cancer diagnosis followed by chemotherapy, radiotherapy and 12 months of immunotherapy. Scary times to be honest.

Thanks to the success of the treatments (and an amazing oncologist) I got back on the bike last January and have clocked up 4,300km in 2019 and plan on increasing on that in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

crosstownk wrote: »
    I managed 10,000km in 2017 and hoped to keep that distance up in 2018 but I lost a whole year of cycling thanks to a lung cancer diagnosis followed by chemotherapy, radiotherapy and 12 months of immunotherapy. Scary times to be honest.

Thanks to the success of the treatments (and an amazing oncologist) I got back on the bike last January and have clocked up 4,300km in 2019 and plan on increasing on that in 2020.

Utterly inspirational. Very well done!!

• Advertisement

Puts things into perspective... some things are more important than cycling! #respect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2019 wrapped up with a quick 43km spin this morning.

498768.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Done for the year.

Just under 17,550km travelled, and 191,500m climbed. Nearly 660h on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Finishing up at 8,200km - over my target by a good few. But even better was winning the sprint finish of the last club spin of the year - that caught them all by surprise ( myself included :):):) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well down on last year, but still managed 12,251kms, with 79,876 metres elevation.
    I cycled (apart from cycling to the shops) 200 times.
    Highlight of my year was The Tony Golden Memorial Cycle, where I cycled far faster (and cuter) than I have done for quite a while.
    Lowlight was The Skoda Tour of the Boyne Valley, where I exploded after 40kms, while pretending to be 30 years younger than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Shocking years cycling for me this year. ~1600km was looking at Strava’s Festive 500 leaderboard the other day. And the guy that was top did that much last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Slightly better than last year, however 2 house moves & a renovation with all that that entails meant that I was involved in selecting all sorts of stuff on days when I would have otherwise been out. How & ever, hopefully better again next year. Now, where did I leave that book of excuses????

That’s a great story to end the year on. Kudos and then some..

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Well I've come in just under 6k for the year. Considering I lost nearly 2 months off the bike and off work after my crash in May I'm really happy with that. My early season targets and racing notions were all forgotten about, the main focus was just getting back moving again but I ended up in fairly OK shape again by the time our club trip to Spain came around in September. Didn't break any records but really enjoyed the climbs.
    Managed to keep the miles ticking over since then and finished in a lot better form than I expected.
    Capped it off by being "crowned" Half Wheeler Of The Year at our club awards ceremony. I've decided that rather than be insulted, I'll accept it with pride and try to defend it next year :D:D:D
    JpGawCF.jpg

That’s some trophy... :)

^^^^^^^
    Is that a son of Des Maye making the presentation?
    Alan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    Is that a son of Des Maye making the presentation?
    Alan?

Very well spotted, it's Colm (won the Shay Elliott in 91)
    We have a somewhat dubious vote on the night for that trophy. Seemingly I won by nearly 50 votes which was a fair achievement considering there were only about 50 people there :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We have a somewhat dubious vote on the night for that trophy. Seemingly I won by nearly 50 votes which was a fair achievement considering there were only about 50 people there :D:D

Your close to me. I'm a 905 member. Met a bunch of ye over Christmas between carbury and broadfard when I was out with dad and a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

I still have an old steel frame Raparee custom made and painted by the Mayes dating from April 1992 and finished off with a Dura Ace group set . It needs a bit of love and attention, paintwork is still holding well bar a few rust spots.

Your close to me. I'm a 905 member. Met a bunch of ye over Christmas between carbury and broadfard when I was out with dad and a neighbour.

I met a couple of 905 members and others, on their coffee stop, at the Circle K in Kilbeggan on Christmas Eve. Spoke to a chap, I hadn't seen in over 20 years.

8290km for the year all done and dusted. Goal of 7500 so cant be disappointed. 55,000 metres of climbing.

October to December were pretty quiet. Nearly done as much in May as I did in those 3 months.

Most importantly, no crashes, after 2 nasty enough ones last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

Missed my target of 5000km this year by 400km but not too worried as I had a crash that kept me off the bike for a little bit and a chest infection in the 2 weeks leading to Christmas, bar those 2 setbacks I'd have got there, this year im upping the target to 7000km

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can't remember did I set goals for 2019! Anyway, about 500km up from 2018 at 8700km, with less commuting and more gravelling (which is generally less km than my road spins). Had similar spells off outside bike both years - 2018 a crash, 2019 nerve injuries/ circulation issues following Liege.

Kinda looking at process goals for 2020, rather than outcomes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Best ever year for me! On the bike for all 365 days - Daily average 44kms/520mts - 15,890kms/190,500mts in total. Won’t be trying that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Aimed for 12k for the year hit that just before Christmas - so with the Festive 500 done finished up on 12,526 for the year

Climbed 87,285m - which was more than expected

Only thing is the distance longest ride of the year was only 128km which is down on previous years need to get the Audax hat on for next year.

• Advertisement

Neglected to ad a highlight.

Girona. Had never been, but it's a cycling nirvana. Only had 2 days, could've spent 2 months there and not grown tired of it. My year had been soso til I went and it was a pleasure to be there.

Advertisement