Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 14:52   #796
greenspurs
Registered User
 
greenspurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
That applies equally if not more to LOI fans, it's not like LOI fans just stop watching all other football or anything but they've also got the extra card of LOI football to talk about.

How do most people not have the time? It's 2 hours ever second Friday night not every day. And it doesn't even impact on watching Premier league football.




Blackpool vs Peterborough would get nowhere near 6/7 hundred million viewers. Nothing strange in watching the match. Something strange in supporting one of them as if you were born and raised in the stadium shadow.

There's only so many people with a geographical connection to a specific team but everyone has a geographical connection to a team, that's the point of football. They're not genuine real fans.
Do you watch the All blacks on tv ?
The Springboks? The Wallabies? If yes, why aren't you watching your 'local' team ?

And can Leinster be your local team? Do you go to all of the AIL games on locally? Would you watch an AIL game before watching a Leinster game? An Ireland game ?
If no, why not? They are your local team...

Do you follow a football team?
greenspurs is offline  
Advertisement
10-05-2019, 15:11   #797
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
That's there tough luck, there club loves having loads of foreign fans
They also love being able to promote the atmosphere you get in their stadium and foreign fans don't bring that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Because if you have friends or a girlfriend chances are you'll want to spend friday night with them and I currently dont have any friends who follow the LOI. The reality is LOI is a product and its competing against more popular products and products of a much higher standard. You cant blame people for picking more popular products or more popular interests, that's life, people are free to do what they want with there own time. In Ireland the fact is football is not of a high standard so a lot of peole who truely love football are not interested in football below a certain standard as they cant get emotionally attached to it. Its easy to get emotionally attached to English football when everyone around you follows it and its the emotional attachment that matters
If football needs to be a certain standard for you to get emotionally attached to it then you don't truly love football. If its a case of everyone around you doing something being a requirement to do it then nothing would ever change or if everyone then changed to LOI by that logic you'd get just as much enjoyment and more because you'd actually be there, you'd have some local pride, know you're putting money back into the community and save yourself a lot of money in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspurs View Post
Do you watch the All blacks on tv ?
The Springboks? The Wallabies? If yes, why aren't you watching your 'local' team ?

And can Leinster be your local team? Do you go to all of the AIL games on locally? Would you watch an AIL game before watching a Leinster game? An Ireland game ?
If no, why not? They are your local team...

Do you follow a football team?
I do watch them on tv but I don't support them. Watching other teams on tv and watching your own aren't mutually exclusive events.

Actually yes I do go to my AIL teams games every week. And if Leinster don't clash with that, my own games or Rovers games I go see them too.

So your point is?

See how I see it is I get the best of all worlds, I get to experience live, local sports and get all the perks that come with that. I also get to watch any of the other matches I want and enjoy the perks of watching the top teams play.
It's a win win for me.
D14Rugby is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2019, 15:37   #798
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
They also love being able to promote the atmosphere you get in their stadium and foreign fans don't bring that.

If football needs to be a certain standard for you to get emotionally attached to it then you don't truly love football.. you'd have some local pride, know you're putting money back into the community and save yourself a lot of money in the process.

Watching other teams on tv and watching your own aren't mutually exclusive events...
Your first 2 points are nonsense, foreign fans also make noise at a match. I am not going to watch amatures play in the little park beside me, people hoofing a ball up and down a field with no passing ability.. that's not fun to watch so quality is important. local pride is only relevant if you have a good football club right beside you and most people in Ireland dont have this. Man United are my team, they've been my team since I was 8 and they will be my team on the day I die.
Greyfox is offline  
Thanks from:
10-05-2019, 15:49   #799
greenspurs
Registered User
 
greenspurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
They also love being able to promote the atmosphere you get in their stadium and foreign fans don't bring that.



If football needs to be a certain standard for you to get emotionally attached to it then you don't truly love football. If its a case of everyone around you doing something being a requirement to do it then nothing would ever change or if everyone then changed to LOI by that logic you'd get just as much enjoyment and more because you'd actually be there, you'd have some local pride, know you're putting money back into the community and save yourself a lot of money in the process.



I do watch them on tv but I don't support them. Watching other teams on tv and watching your own aren't mutually exclusive events.

Actually yes I do go to my AIL teams games every week. And if Leinster don't clash with that, my own games or Rovers games I go see them too.

So your point is?

See how I see it is I get the best of all worlds, I get to experience live, local sports and get all the perks that come with that. I also get to watch any of the other matches I want and enjoy the perks of watching the top teams play.
It's a win win for me.
I guess you win then.

I wish I had your spare time !
greenspurs is offline  
Thanks from:
10-05-2019, 16:24   #800
The Moldy Gowl
Registered User
 
The Moldy Gowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,801
Good thing about LOI is that it's in full flow during the summer and with no world Cup on, plenty of time for the football fans to get their fix rather than refreshing transfer rumours.
The Moldy Gowl is offline  
Advertisement
10-05-2019, 16:41   #801
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
They also love being able to promote the atmosphere you get in their stadium and foreign fans don't bring that.



If football needs to be a certain standard for you to get emotionally attached to it then you don't truly love football. If its a case of everyone around you doing something being a requirement to do it then nothing would ever change or if everyone then changed to LOI by that logic you'd get just as much enjoyment and more because you'd actually be there, you'd have some local pride, know you're putting money back into the community and save yourself a lot of money in the process.



I do watch them on tv but I don't support them. Watching other teams on tv and watching your own aren't mutually exclusive events.

Actually yes I do go to my AIL teams games every week. And if Leinster don't clash with that, my own games or Rovers games I go see them too.

So your point is?

See how I see it is I get the best of all worlds, I get to experience live, local sports and get all the perks that come with that. I also get to watch any of the other matches I want and enjoy the perks of watching the top teams play.
It's a win win for me.
My team, Liverpool, have every game televised including friendlies. Rarely stuck for a stream. It's win-win for me too, either I go to the game and get one of the best atmosphere's in any sport, or I get to watch at home.

If we weren't constantly on telly I'd likely follow someone more local more regularly, I have a local LOI Div 1 team I played for underage and go to the occasional game of, but nothing beats being able to watch every single game in a season home or away
8-10 is offline  
10-05-2019, 16:43   #802
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Teams were established to represent the areas they are in. Theres a reason they're named after where they are and not by their nicknames, even those though tend to have roots in the clubs geographical area.
Why does Manchester need so many club teams then? Or London? Or Glasgow?
How could a team ever dare to move stadium, they'd no longer be representing the area! These are not NFL franchises. They are club teams. If representing the area was why they were formed there would be one Sheffield team. But no, we have Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday because Sheffield Wednesday originally played on a Wednesday.
The original name of Spurs was Hotspur Football Club. They only added the Tottenham part later.

Clearly, that's not why they were formed. The first step was because players wanted to play. Everything else that came afterwards, why some teams became pros and successful, why some teams had backers from local factory owners etc, why some stayed amateur or small from the same area ... all of that was the random chance of history.
If your theory was correct there wouldn't be lots of teams from same area at different rungs of the pyramid, there would just be Manchester A, B, C, D, E, F, G teams all the way down in every league.
odyssey06 is offline  
10-05-2019, 17:59   #803
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Why does Manchester need so many club teams then? Or London? Or Glasgow?
How could a team ever dare to move stadium, they'd no longer be representing the area! These are not NFL franchises. They are club teams. If representing the area was why they were formed there would be one Sheffield team. But no, we have Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday because Sheffield Wednesday originally played on a Wednesday.
The original name of Spurs was Hotspur Football Club. They only added the Tottenham part later.

Clearly, that's not why they were formed. The first step was because players wanted to play. Everything else that came afterwards, why some teams became pros and successful, why some teams had backers from local factory owners etc, why some stayed amateur or small from the same area ... all of that was the random chance of history.
If your theory was correct there wouldn't be lots of teams from same area at different rungs of the pyramid, there would just be Manchester A, B, C, D, E, F, G teams all the way down in every league.
There are loads of teams in the greater Manchester area, Salford City, Bury, Rochdale, Altrincham, United of Manchester
Edgware is offline  
10-05-2019, 18:02   #804
Mr_Muffin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 741
The quality on offer.

Same as TV/Movies. British/American content is better then Irish content.
Mr_Muffin is offline  
Advertisement
10-05-2019, 18:11   #805
blade1
Registered User
 
blade1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Muffin View Post
The quality on offer.

Same as TV/Movies. British/American content is better then Irish content.
You're not really selling it with that example
blade1 is online now  
Thanks from:
10-05-2019, 18:37   #806
Achasanai
Registered User
 
Achasanai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
I can't understand the logic of giving your money to the cities of London, Manchester or Liverpool supporting their teams over your own city and local clubs.

People do this all the time. If you enjoy tennis, you don't hang around the local club watching the amateurs play, you watch Wimbledon. It's odd that soccer gets the most stick for this.



Kind of the same as buying from a large online multinational rather than keeping it within the community.
Achasanai is offline  
10-05-2019, 18:49   #807
The Moldy Gowl
Registered User
 
The Moldy Gowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
There are loads of teams in the greater Manchester area, Salford City, Bury, Rochdale, Altrincham, United of Manchester
I follow man utd obviously because of the media exposure back in the day.

Im sick of elite football. I prefer the lower leagues. Way more fun rather than souness giving out about pogbas haircut. Following the top is tiresome. One loss and a team is in crisis
The Moldy Gowl is offline  
10-05-2019, 18:50   #808
The Moldy Gowl
Registered User
 
The Moldy Gowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade1 View Post
You're not really selling it with that example
Mls gets stick but it's decent quality. Give it 10 more years.
The Moldy Gowl is offline  
10-05-2019, 18:57   #809
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
My team, Liverpool, have every game televised including friendlies. Rarely stuck for a stream. It's win-win for me too, either I go to the game and get one of the best atmosphere's in any sport, or I get to watch at home.

If we weren't constantly on telly I'd likely follow someone more local more regularly, I have a local LOI Div 1 team I played for underage and go to the occasional game of, but nothing beats being able to watch every single game in a season home or away
LOI clashes with Liverpool I'd say maybe once a year at most. Being at matches home and away beats it by a long distance. Fair play to going to the odd game though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspurs View Post
I guess you win then.

I wish I had your spare time !
It's not a win, a win implies nobody else can have that, every person in the country has the ability to do what I do, people just don't because of misguided preconceptions.

I don't have a lot of spare time. 53 hour week. I just don't **** about doing nothing scrolling through Facebook scratching my arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Your first 2 points are nonsense, foreign fans also make noise at a match. I am not going to watch amatures play in the little park beside me, people hoofing a ball up and down a field with no passing ability.. that's not fun to watch so quality is important. local pride is only relevant if you have a good football club right beside you and most people in Ireland dont have this. Man United are my team, they've been my team since I was 8 and they will be my team on the day I die.
Foreign fans don't. Go to any ground in England and you'll see that. They sit and complain when others stand up.
People in Ireland do have this, they're just in denial about it because it's not the it thing to like

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Why does Manchester need so many club teams then? Or London? Or Glasgow?
How could a team ever dare to move stadium, they'd no longer be representing the area! These are not NFL franchises. They are club teams. If representing the area was why they were formed there would be one Sheffield team. But no, we have Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday because Sheffield Wednesday originally played on a Wednesday.
The original name of Spurs was Hotspur Football Club. They only added the Tottenham part later.

Clearly, that's not why they were formed. The first step was because players wanted to play. Everything else that came afterwards, why some teams became pros and successful, why some teams had backers from local factory owners etc, why some stayed amateur or small from the same area ... all of that was the random chance of history.
If your theory was correct there wouldn't be lots of teams from same area at different rungs of the pyramid, there would just be Manchester A, B, C, D, E, F, G teams all the way down in every league.
There are multiple different areas and demographics in cities. Like how Celtic was started for the Irish in Glasgow, Manchester United for railway workers, Everton for church goers. Tottenham were called Hotspur after the nickname for the guy who used to own the land where they were founded.
Your second paragraph proves my point, many were founded by workers of factories and such so that they and their families had something to do on their day off.

Last edited by D14Rugby; 10-05-2019 at 19:31.
D14Rugby is offline  
10-05-2019, 19:10   #810
Thelonious Monk
Registered User
 
Thelonious Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3,395
Going to a match is great though. Bohemians may not play like Liverpool but just going to the match and knowing you're contributing to the club and you're part of the community of Bohs is a lovely feeling. I honestly feel like I belong there as I first went to games as a kid with my Dad and Uncle and my family are from around there. That's what I don't get about the Liverpool stuff etc. Going to their matches etc, I just wouldn't feel like I belong. They are the city of Liverpool's team, not ours. I understand you can follow them, but you wont get that lovely feeling you get with your own local club, like the Liverpudlians are getting.
Thelonious Monk is online now  
(4) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet