Thought it might be valuable to get people's stories of the things they didn't think of designwise or otherwise when buying or moving into new house.
For me it was a new build I would have liked to have:
- Screwed down the floor boards before putting down carpet to prevent creaks.
- Looked at soundproofing mid floor
- Taken photos of cabling and ducting during build process.
- Put plugs on both sides of one of the small bedrooms
- Checked the quality/level of the garden and put on snag. (Was very uneven and poor quality)
- Not said "Ah no its grand" when electrician asked me if I wanted an outside plug.
- Looked at practicality of positioning of the sink and toilets
I'm sure there is loads more but that's a good start.