Hi, this is my first thread and I'm not Irish, so I will start apologizing for my English.
I have been renting an apartment for 1 year. It was the apartment 4, but it was in the first floor. Below me there was a store. On my right, another apartment. And in the second floor two apartments more.
Now I'm in another apartment, with another landlord, and I'm discovering that the procedure is being quite different.
There are a lot of things that make me suspect that my old landlord is doing something illegal:
- I never received the letter from RTB saying that I'm registered as a tenant. In my new apartment I received it the first week.
- I searched in rtb. ie and that apartment is not registered.
- I found in pleanala. ie a document who grants to my landlord permission to develop "2 no. apartments, in a three-storey building together with communal garden and associated works." The document says that in the building there are 2 apartments of 3 bedrooms, but in fact in the building there are 4 apartments, and mine had only one bedroom.
- I discovered that one wall on the apartment was different to the rest of the walls, and the front door of the apartment looked like an inner door with an extra lock.
- Our landlord told us the apartment's eircode, but that eircode was the same that the shop below us. When we arrived to Ireland we didn't know that each home has their own eircode, so we thought that the eircode was the same for all the apartments in the building. But then we discovered that the other apartment in our floor had a different eircode.
I think that my landlord had 2 apartments, and he raised a wall to obtain more money renting 4 apartments.
The thing is that he was nice with us all the time, but at the end of the tenancy we had some problems to get back part of the deposit. I don't care about the money, but if he is doing something illegal I would like to report it. Basically because he thought that as I'm young and new in the country I'm stupid (we are two and he made us pay each month 160€ fixed for electricity and gas, and now in my new apartment we are paying 60-70€), and now with the deposit he is trying to trick me again and I'm sick of it. I told him that I was going to talk with RTB for a mediation but he is very insistent that I shouldn't do it and that we can work it out between us. He's telling me that I'm causing him a lot of problems and that with the coronavirus he just wants to take care of his family.
I'm gonna talk with RTB anyway, probably I'm gonna ask for an adjudication but I would like to ask here if someone with more experience could recommend me the best approach to do this, and I would like to know if I could have any problem with the revenue or something if I have been living for a year in an apartment that is not registered and that technically doesn't exists.
I'm so sorry for the long and bad redacted text. Thank you so much for your help.