Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2020, 12:38   #31
C3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Again id make the point if someone parked in your private driveway to your house you wouldnt stand for it, why should we?
Parking on the road or in someone's driveway are not comparable!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2020, 13:01   #32
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pierre View Post
Sometimes the solution to a problem is to consider whether or not it's such a big problem after all, and if you should just learn to live with it. If you don't think that applies here - and clearly you don't - then once again, fair 'nuff.
i dont.
16-10-2020, 13:01   #33
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
Parking on the road or in someone's driveway are not comparable!
its not a public road, its a private entrance. so in this instance i see it as comprable.
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 13:29   #34
Niner leprauchan

[
Quote:
its not a public road, its a private entrance. so in this instance i see it as comprable.
Not really. One is obviously privately owned by an individual. The second is not so obviously owned by a large group of 20 households. How would anyone know it's a private road? Are there double yellows? Signs? A barrier? My driveway is within an obvious boundary with a gate.

It's an interesting argument though and if there were barriers, signs, etc I would be interested in seeing how a judge would look on it.

Quote:
do you have any source for that assertion? genuine question as thats also an option. when i was in UCD they were used liberally, which i admit was quite some time ago, and the clampers use them aswell.
Well, how would you feel if I stuck a sticker on your door that was very difficult to remove over a number of hours?

It's under section 2, criminal damage act 1991 and the definition of under section 1.

“to damage” includes—

(a) in relation to property other than data (but including a storage medium in which data are kept), to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of,
(2) thanks from:
16-10-2020, 13:42   #35
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner leprauchan View Post
[

Not really. One is obviously privately owned by an individual. The second is not so obviously owned by a large group of 20 households. How would anyone know it's a private road? Are there double yellows? Signs? A barrier? My driveway is within an obvious boundary with a gate.

It's an interesting argument though and if there were barriers, signs, etc I would be interested in seeing how a judge would look on it.

Well, how would you feel if I stuck a sticker on your door that was very difficult to remove over a number of hours?

It's under section 2, criminal damage act 1991 and the definition of under section 1.

“to damage” includes—

(a) in relation to property other than data (but including a storage medium in which data are kept), to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of,
whats an interesting argument? theres no argument as to whether the property is private, as to how someone would know, there is an entrance (ungated, but thats down to the CoCo) and there is a sign to say its private property.

i would be annoyed, and have been annoyed, if one of those stickers was on my window but it was on it because i had parked somewhere i shouldnt have.

as to whether a temporary sticker is defacement or not thats probably the more interesting argument.

anyway i got what i needed from the thread, thanks everyone.

anyone who wants to opine on whether its actually a problem please do so in the comfort if your own internal monologue
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2020, 13:49   #36
Uncle Pierre

If I may return to this thread....with no mention of my own opinion on whether or not this is a problem at all, and instead to make a new suggestion that hasn't been put forward yet......

You could consider going the other way about things altogether, by creating the impression that it's a public road after all with normal "no parking" rules, rather than trying to emphasise that it's a private road.

Remove the "Private Property" sign and arrange to have yellow lines painted. Somebody else's earlier idea about leaving a car out in a prominent place with a clamp on it could even come into play here too.

As before, feel free to disregard, if that is your wont. It's just a new suggestion.
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 13:55   #37
Uncle Pierre

Thanks for the thanks
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 13:56   #38
Cyrus

Quote:
Thanks for the thanks
thanks for the constructive suggestion and there is definite merit in the double yellow line idea, we are all programmed not to park on a double yellow!
16-10-2020, 14:45   #39
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
I'm going way off topic here, but why would the council have a hatred for gated estates?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2020, 14:50   #40
C3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
I'm going way off topic here, but why would the council have a hatred for gated estates?
Because if there were gates then the parents from the school would have nowhere to park!!!
(2) thanks from:
16-10-2020, 15:01   #41
Uncle Pierre

I believe (but I could be wrong) that it's because they feel gated estates would create unwanted divides in the community, when the grand plan and vision is for everybody to happily live alongside each other. Make of that what you will.

Also, that there may be concerns over access for things like delivery vehicles and emergency vehicles. They're possibly more valid concerns, but again, make of it what you will. I've no view on this one myself!
(2) thanks from:
16-10-2020, 15:19   #42
Cyrus

Quote:
I believe (but I could be wrong) that it's because they feel gated estates would create unwanted divides in the community, when the grand plan and vision is for everybody to happily live alongside each other. Make of that what you will.

Also, that there may be concerns over access for things like delivery vehicles and emergency vehicles. They're possibly more valid concerns, but again, make of it what you will. I've no view on this one myself!
i think the main reason is that they dont want divides, there is a stigma attached to gated communities apparently.

but at the same time they dont want to take these new estates in charge either
(2) thanks from:
16-10-2020, 17:29   #43
Niner leprauchan

Quote:
whats an interesting argument? theres no argument as to whether the property is private, as to how someone would know, there is an entrance (ungated, but thats down to the CoCo) and there is a sign to say its private property.

i would be annoyed, and have been annoyed, if one of those stickers was on my window but it was on it because i had parked somewhere i shouldnt have.

as to whether a temporary sticker is defacement or not thats probably the more interesting argument.

anyway i got what i needed from the thread, thanks everyone.

anyone who wants to opine on whether its actually a problem please do so in the comfort if your own internal monologue
Theres no arguement, its a crime. I highlighted it above. The clampers are licensed by the local authority. You are not.

It is very much up for debate about HOW people are expected to know its private when it is open and looks the same as most estates in the country. I dunno how having 'an entrance' makes it obvious, all estates tend to have them, makes it easier for people to get their cars home.

Sorry if that doesnt suit but thats the way it is.
16-10-2020, 17:55   #44
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner leprauchan View Post
Theres no arguement, its a crime. I highlighted it above. The clampers are licensed by the local authority. You are not.

It is very much up for debate about HOW people are expected to know its private when it is open and looks the same as most estates in the country. I dunno how having 'an entrance' makes it obvious, all estates tend to have them, makes it easier for people to get their cars home.

Sorry if that doesnt suit but thats the way it is.
There is the sign that says it’s private ? And as I said whether it looks private or not isn’t the issue, it is private . That’s an irrefutable fact.

Also I have not seen any evidence of a successful prosecution for unlawful use of those stickers so you’ll forgive me if I don’t take your interpretation of a fairly widely worded piece of legislation as gospel unless you have an example to hand ?

You can get stickers that aren’t as difficult to remove aswell rather they will make the point that it’s a private road and not to park here in future but will just peel off.

Last edited by Cyrus; 16-10-2020 at 18:19.
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 18:39   #45
brisan

Quote:
Have to say my own thoughts would be along these lines.

If it's mainly because of a nearby school, then surely the issue only exists for about 20 minutes at a time, just five days of the week, and not even anywhere near every week of the year?

The other example OP mentions is people visiting nearby houses. Just curious that if they or a neighbour have invited friends or relations over, where are those friends and relations supposed to park?

I'd feel differently if there was wanton and widespread all-day parking going on by people working nearby, or using the road as a "park and ride" for a nearby DART station or similar. But if it's usually just for 20 minutes at a time during the school run, and then a few other people dropping around a cup of tea from time to time, is it worth getting that worked up over in the first place?
Scholl drop off
1.30 finish for younger kids
2.30 finish for older kids
Thats 3 times a day
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size