Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-09-2020, 22:02   #31
notsobadinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisan View Post
Exemptions are and will be rarer than hens teeth for the foreseeable future
I agree these are rare and tricky to obtain but are available and all depends on the career and the amount of savings you have. 2 of my gfs friends (accountant and a teacher) both received the 4 times rate earlier this year.
notsobadinc is offline  
Advertisement
23-09-2020, 22:07   #32
notsobadinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
I work kind near the convention centre in the city. I can’t drive so parking isn’t an issue.

Is it either of these?
https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/apart...ildare/2582052

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/apart...ildare/2575427
I work in Spencer Dock so am beside your location and the train line is well serviced in Leixlip.. Both properties are good options and Louisa Bridge train is like a 2 min stroll from here.

You can also expect to be in a bidding war alright as we found out recently on a couple of places we were interested in..
notsobadinc is offline  
23-09-2020, 22:14   #33
Gael23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobadinc View Post
I work in Spencer Dock so am beside your location and the train line is well serviced in Leixlip.. Both properties are good options and Louisa Bridge train is like a 2 min stroll from here.

You can also expect to be in a bidding war alright as we found out recently on a couple of places we were interested in..
I might be able to push it to 240k at the very maximum for the perfect place so that sort of knocks out the first one
Gael23 is online now  
23-09-2020, 22:15   #34
notsobadinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
I can’t drive so being close to shops and all that is as important as distance to work. Nightlife wouldn’t bother me, you can find that if you want it.

I looked into the Local Authority mortgage scheme today and I might be able to borrow about an extra 20k though that.
We were both above the maximum on this so could not apply which was a pity as rate is substantially less although I read that you have to take out the councils MPI insurance which is fairly hefty and have also read that the process is fairly long winded so better start soon. Good luck with it in any event..
notsobadinc is offline  
23-09-2020, 22:49   #35
Gael23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobadinc View Post
We were both above the maximum on this so could not apply which was a pity as rate is substantially less although I read that you have to take out the councils MPI insurance which is fairly hefty and have also read that the process is fairly long winded so better start soon. Good luck with it in any event..
Yes the MPI is the catch but there always some sort of catch with those things. I’m under the €50k income level though
Gael23 is online now  
Advertisement
23-09-2020, 23:09   #36
notsobadinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
Yes the MPI is the catch but there always some sort of catch with those things. I’m under the €50k income level though
According to this calculator you could get 4.5 times the maximum amount of 50k..so 225k... If this is actually possible and available then this beats the banks 4 times salary exemptions then you should therefore take advantage of it!

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/
notsobadinc is offline  
23-09-2020, 23:17   #37
notsobadinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
I might be able to push it to 240k at the very maximum for the perfect place so that sort of knocks out the first one
Do you want/need to buy in the next couple of months.. If not, then hang tight and wait for Avantcard to enter the market or rates to drop/better options for 1st time buyers as that HTB scheme is BS adding 20-40k to new houses and apartments..
notsobadinc is offline  
23-09-2020, 23:23   #38
Gael23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobadinc View Post
According to this calculator you could get 4.5 times the maximum amount of 50k..so 225k... If this is actually possible and available then this beats the banks 4 times salary exemptions then you should therefore take advantage of it!

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/
I earn a bit less than 50k so won’t get the 225k. It’s coming out around €180k for me depending what term I go for.

I have €55k savings but legal fees, furniture etc needs to come out of that so that’s why I was saying 220 ish to leave 10 or 15 grand to cover those expenses.
Gael23 is online now  
23-09-2020, 23:36   #39
notsobadinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
I earn a bit less than 50k so won’t get the 225k. It’s coming out around €180k for me depending what term I go for.

I have €55k savings but legal fees, furniture etc needs to come out of that so that’s why I was saying 220 ish to leave 10 or 15 grand to cover those expenses.
I set it at 30 year term and got the rate so even if you earned less than 50k,you should be getting the same calculation of 4.5 times salary.
Have you checked out ICS Mortgages?
Thats a healthy savings to have and your right, you will need 15k minimum to cover stamp duty, fees and furnishing, repairs.
notsobadinc is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:22   #40
Gael23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,036
Are there any parts of Finglas that are a no go? Seen a really nice 2 bed apartment close to everything I need for 215k
Gael23 is online now  
17-10-2020, 21:24   #41
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
Are there any parts of Finglas that are a no go? Seen a really nice 2 bed apartment close to everything I need for 215k
Lots of parts of Finglas are a no go. Googling the address/road name and "court" is usually a good start.
Caranica is offline  
17-10-2020, 21:28   #42
salamiii
Banned
 
salamiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 146
keep saving until covid recession next year

l lot of people will start selling the second homes they can't rent out

i would watch th unemployment figure after christmas
salamiii is offline  
17-10-2020, 21:34   #43
Littlehorny
Registered User
 
Littlehorny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,769
If you are considering Finglas, you should have a look at Ashbourne. Just 15 mins further out and there is a few apartments in your price range and it's a decent enough area serviced with buses for work.
Littlehorny is offline  
17-10-2020, 21:44   #44
Gael23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehorny View Post
If you are considering Finglas, you should have a look at Ashbourne. Just 15 mins further out and there is a few apartments in your price range and it's a decent enough area serviced with buses for work.
Just looked at Ashbourne on the map. It’s 40 minutes point to paint to where I work.
Not a place I’d have thought of
Gael23 is online now  
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:51   #45
Littlehorny
Registered User
 
Littlehorny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
Just looked at Ashbourne on the map. It’s 40 minutes point to paint to where I work.
Not a place I’d have thought of
Have lived here 19 years, not a bad oul spot at all to be honest with you.
Littlehorny is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet