Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daneswell Place, Botanic Road, Glasnevin

• 23-06-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi, considering purchasing here for a family home. These launched in 2018, well overpriced and none sold for nearly a year. They then dropped prices 15-20% and 10/35 have sold since. Two 5-beds sold in April 10/15k under asking (780k & 785k, asking is 795k+). Given the mortgage restrictions and removal of exemptions, what do people think these places are worth. Specifically the smaller 5-beds asking 795k? Thanks.

I would also like to hear people’s opinion on the neighbourhood & schools in the area? Thanks

One thing to note is the developer has tried to ram 300 apartments into the remainder of the site instead of fulfilling the original planning for 43 houses & 79 apartments but failed to get approval. Worrying if he was able to go ahead with something similar in future.

Comments

They look fantastic, loads of space. With the location in mind I can understand the asking price. If you already know that some have sold for under the asking it's definitely worth trying a low bid, but I can't see them dropping too much unless the developer is in a rush to get rid of them.

The only info I'd add is:
    - That's a busy road, and if you're reliant on bus/car to get to work in the mornings it can get quite congested.
    - Some of the smaller 5-beds are much nearer the road than the other houses, and some people really value being away from the main road. If this doesn't bother you, maybe you could push the price of those houses down more easily than if it was one of the houses further in?
    - If that kind of thing does bother you, it's worth noting you're close to the North Circular, and the Mater (possible ambulances). I had a look at the website which seems to push this 'suburban calm' vibe, but it's very much the town/phibs end of Glasnevin. It's a lovely area, but you'll know you're near town.
    - It's an area that's got a fair bit of life to it. Plenty of people around, not a sleepy suburb where people just use their cars. You'd be able to walk into the city centre via Blessington Basin which is a nice walk, and for a lot of things you can just pop down to the cross at Doyle's corner and there are plenty of shops there. I say that though as someone who's not planning to have a family, so I can't really relate with what your needs would be if you're thinking 5-bed, schools etc. which implies kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

They look fantastic, loads of space. With the location in mind I can understand the asking price. If you already know that some have sold for under the asking it's definitely worth trying a low bid, but I can't see them dropping too much unless the developer is in a rush to get rid of them.

The only info I'd add is:
    - That's a busy road, and if you're reliant on bus/car to get to work in the mornings it can get quite congested.
    - Some of the smaller 5-beds are much nearer the road than the other houses, and some people really value being away from the main road. If this doesn't bother you, maybe you could push the price of those houses down more easily than if it was one of the houses further in?
    - If that kind of thing does bother you, it's worth noting you're close to the North Circular, and the Mater (possible ambulances). I had a look at the website which seems to push this 'suburban calm' vibe, but it's very much the town/phibs end of Glasnevin. It's a lovely area, but you'll know you're near town.
    - It's an area that's got a fair bit of life to it. Plenty of people around, not a sleepy suburb where people just use their cars. You'd be able to walk into the city centre via Blessington Basin which is a nice walk, and for a lot of things you can just pop down to the cross at Doyle's corner and there are plenty of shops there. I say that though as someone who's not planning to have a family, so I can't really relate with what your needs would be if you're thinking 5-bed, schools etc. which implies kids.

Thanks for your feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

For me I would prefer a better address. Mobhi Road near Na Fianna or any house in this area or Griffith Ave or the below which can be upgraded to suit. The local of that estate for me is in Phibsboro area more so than Glasnevin area.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/35-hollybank-road-drumcondra-drumcondra-dublin-2447091/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ruthlessray

You'd do well to ignore this advice, in my opinion. The estate is a 10 minute walk from Na Fianna for one thing. It's further from Phibsborough than both Iona Road and Lindsay Road, both of which are very much Glasnevin.

You're getting an A-rated property with 2000+ square foot of space and quality fittings. For under 800k in this area, which is a walk to town, surrounded by genuinly nice places to eat, drink, walk etc and surrounded by great schools, it represents very decent value.

There are absolutely apartments going in but they're due north of the houses and having gone through the planning documents, can tell you that they will be build to a very high standard, in keeping with the quality of the houses built so far. The reality is apartments are going to become more and more common anywhere there's space close to the city centre, so I wouldn't let this put you off.

Oh and did I mention Phibsborough has been named on the list of coolest towns in the world for the second time in 3 years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

You'd do well to ignore this advice, in my opinion. The estate is a 10 minute walk from Na Fianna for one thing. It's further from Phibsborough than both Iona Road and Lindsay Road, both of which are very much Glasnevin.

You're getting an A-rated property with 2000+ square foot of space and quality fittings. For under 800k in this area, which is a walk to town, surrounded by genuinly nice places to eat, drink, walk etc and surrounded by great schools, it represents very decent value.

There are absolutely apartments going in but they're due north of the houses and having gone through the planning documents, can tell you that they will be build to a very high standard, in keeping with the quality of the houses built so far. The reality is apartments are going to become more and more common anywhere there's space close to the city centre, so I wouldn't let this put you off.

Oh and did I mention Phibsborough has been named on the list of coolest towns in the world for the second time in 3 years?!

Thanks! Probably not going to buy now till next year. 13 of the houses have sold despite the estate agent pretending they’re all sale agreed then coming back saying “we have one left” and then we have two left etc. Reality is 1/2 the houses are left. On the apartments, one would want to make sure they’re not totally overlooking the houses. Do you have a link to the updated planning? Think it’s for 220 apartments now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ruthlessray

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Thanks! Probably not going to buy now till next year. 13 of the houses have sold despite the estate agent pretending they’re all sale agreed then coming back saying “we have one left” and then we have two left etc. Reality is 1/2 the houses are left. On the apartments, one would want to make sure they’re not totally overlooking the houses. Do you have a link to the updated planning? Think it’s for 220 apartments now

Re apartment plans, I searched for Daneswell phase 2 planning and found a very helpful set of slides from Neasa Hourigan, the Green TD.

Re availability, I understand the Sunflower house type are all gone. One of each of the other types is available. However they are allowing people to reserve one for 10k, lots of whom haven't sold their own homes yet, so it's almost inevitable that some bookings will continue to fall through.

I've had a QS take a look at one of the Sunflower houses and talked to an unconnected estate agent who's a friend, and the feedback from both was "fantastic house", no issues valuing at in excess of 800k.

Personally, I think the largest house type are overpriced at close to a million quid but think there's good value in the Sunflowers at 795k.

Re overlooking, the apartments will be about 20m from the houses. If they weren't going to be north of the houses, they would be a dealbreaker for me. I don't think overlooking will be an issue, certainly there are no balconies facing the houses, but certainly it's worth thinking about whether that would bother you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sb12

Hi guys, has anyone who has bought a place in Daneswell had any issues with the builder In regards to substandard/unfinished works? We bought a house in their last development Rahillion in Donabate. We have moved 2 and a half years now... currently the builders still have not finished the roadworks .

They are digging the roads up constantly due to sub standard subcontractors who basically were clearly allowed to work unsupervised and stuffed up the site drainage and it seems they are in a constant battle trying to fix it with no end in site..Residents are struggling to work from home due to the volume of digging and patching and digging and patching constantly going on outside peoples houses.

Some houses have had issues with really bad smells from their toilets due to the drainage issue... the green area promised to us that our kids are supposed to play on is a swampy Marsh full of rocks and stones... again cannot get it right regarding drainage and soilage, it is totally out of bounds for anyone to walk or play on 10 months of the year due to the mud and they have basically told residents they have given up on it and that it was bad planning by the council.

We were promised a playground that 2 and a half years later is still not finished / pretty much not started and is a complete eye sore on the development.. So disappointing to say the least . The kids literally have no where safe to play along with the heavy machinery and constant holes being dug up all over the roads it is very dangerous for them to say the least. An accident waiting to happen in my opinion. Street lighting still isn't finished the landscaping in the original brochures regarding trees/bushes doesn't seem to be getting completed either... again majority of residents are living here 2 and half years and its completely frustrating to watch these guys onto their second or third development now after our one... a lot of residents are highly stressed and have approached the builders many many times and it seems now everything is falling on deaf ears...

I would love to know have any residents in Daneswell had any of these issues as the pictures on line look like the development and civil works are complete and as a whole alot further advanced than where our is right now. . I must note the houses are built to a very good standard.. few small issues from residents but I'm sure you would get that off any development.. as far as the rest of the project goes such as the civil works etc we have all been left extremely disappointed.. would love to know are we just unlucky and an isolated case? Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rcallagh

I would stay away from anything built by these developers, currently going under the name of Eastwise. We're also living in Rahillion and the estate is substandard to put it mildly.
    Drainage not installed properly, roads not completed. Builders constantly fobbing off and lying to residents. We were promised a creche, park and playground and NOTHING has materialised but a haphazard estate that is a huge health and safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Sorry for raising this thread up but want to just warn the posters off this developer - I came across the thread while trying to find a phone number for the developer as we cannot get in touch with them.

We are also living in Rahillion and they are refusing to engage with us. We have formed a residents' committee at the request of the builder, and have sent numerous emails without response.

If you want an insight into the condition they have left our estate in, you can look here:

https://sites.google.com/view/rahillionresidents/issues-with-our-estate

The place is in bits, and the developer is refusing to speak with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Sorry for raising this thread up but want to just warn the posters off this developer - I came across the thread while trying to find a phone number for the developer as we cannot get in touch with them.

We are also living in Rahillion and they are refusing to engage with us. We have formed a residents' committee at the request of the builder, and have sent numerous emails without response.

If you want an insight into the condition they have left our estate in, you can look here:

https://sites.google.com/view/rahillionresidents/issues-with-our-estate

The place is in bits, and the developer is refusing to speak with us.

I would engage with Fingal County Council and your local county councillors (assuming you have not already and that FCC will be taking the estate in charge). Obtaining the original planning details is a must... you need to see what is stated about landscaping etc and make complaints to FCC under the planning process. No point engaging with the developer for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

How people pay the money they did for those houses i do not know - they could literally have any sort of apartment blocks in front of them - the developer will keep reapplying to the council till he gets them and if he doesn't it will be waste land. Could have walk around the corner and bought a semi d on Iona road for the same money, and not have to deal with the crap that comes with the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I would engage with Fingal County Council and your local county councillors (assuming you have not already and that FCC will be taking the estate in charge). Obtaining the original planning details is a must... you need to see what is stated about landscaping etc and make complaints to FCC under the planning process. No point engaging with the developer for the moment.

Yep, thanks. All in progress with FCC etc... just warning off others on the developer via this thread.

Advertisement