Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nailer1

Hi there , will tickets for the final be on sale on gaa.ie or tickets.ie and when will they be available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

nailer1 wrote: »
    Hi there , will tickets for the final be on sale on gaa.ie or tickets.ie and when will they be available ?

Have a read @ earlier posts in thread ...it's all there

bryaner wrote: »
    Stick the mortgage on Kerry done deal..

Originally Posted by Cill Dara Abu viewpost.gif
    I hope Kerry rip Dublin apart in the final and I think they will.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    We're lucky down here in Kerry, our nice neighbours over the border in the Rebel republic always supports us :D Just as we supported them last year!

Just feel the warmrth from our neighbours Stinicker ... no need for central heatin in our house !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Flukey wrote: »
    As people have been saying, Dublin haven't a chance in hell of winning the final. What they forget is that the final isn't being played in hell. :)

As for those who keep asking about Ticketmaster, all 12 months of the year GAA fans know, tickets for finals never get sold on Ticketmaster or Tickets.ie and never should be. You may still get one somewhere, but to be really in with a chance, do what the rest of us do and go to your first match of the year on the 1st of January next, or soon thereafter, or buy a season ticket, or a Parnell Pass if you are from Dublin, and then go out and support your county all year, not just in late summer and early autumn. Parnell Pass and season ticket holders are already guaranteed tickets, as they should be. A handful of us did brave the cold and a new year's eve hangover on the 1st of January this year to watch the Dublin footballers and hurlers take on the Blue Stars. As an aside, every county should have something similar. Anyway, it is the like of us and those that had to put up with Jedward desecrating Croke Park in the following months that should be first in line for tickets. Those that followed Kerry through their matches should be there. Those of us of both counties that went to see Kerry and Dublin play in Croke Park in the league should be there in 3 weeks time. On that basis, there will be thousands of empty seats at the final, so there will be no problem getting tickets, so you won't even need to buy them online, right?:rolleyes:
    Can this be stickied please for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

realies wrote: »
    Well at least Dublin will be going into this game as massive underdogs, so that's a help.Dublin have it in them to beat kerry on the day its not an impossibility.I would be quietly confident that we can do it.

I had the same felling as a Mayo fans going into Mayo's game v Kerry.
    bren2001 wrote: »
    Kerry are favorites and are going to step up on the day. The question is will Dublin step it up to the level required. I don't think anybody can answer that until September 18th comes around. Kerry have the experience but Dublin want it more.

Yes , experience will play a big part, as it did last week.

How do you figure 'Dublin want it more'. ?

Each year Kerry do not win an All Ireland there is a massive hunger the next year to win it, look at 04, 06 and 09, especially when you have the same crop of players.
    Some of this Kerry team are on their last legs, the last thing they want to do in Croke Park is to loose an All Ireland final to Dublin.

So don't underestimate Kerry's hunger, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Kerry to win by 18 points

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dont bother lads..... dont bother.

Ah in that case .. we should let yer lads Donegal back in ..

Originally Posted by Flukey viewpost.gif
    As people have been saying, Dublin haven't a chance in hell of winning the final. What they forget is that the final isn't being played in hell. smile.gif

As for those who keep asking about Ticketmaster, all 12 months of the year GAA fans know, tickets for finals never get sold on Ticketmaster or Tickets.ie and never should be. You may still get one somewhere, but to be really in with a chance, do what the rest of us do and go to your first match of the year on the 1st of January next, or soon thereafter, or buy a season ticket, or a Parnell Pass if you are from Dublin, and then go out and support your county all year, not just in late summer and early autumn. Parnell Pass and season ticket holders are already guaranteed tickets, as they should be. A handful of us did brave the cold and a new year's eve hangover on the 1st of January this year to watch the Dublin footballers and hurlers take on the Blue Stars. As an aside, every county should have something similar. Anyway, it is the like of us and those that had to put up with Jedward desecrating Croke Park in the following months that should be first in line for tickets. Those that followed Kerry through their matches should be there. Those of us of both counties that went to see Kerry and Dublin play in Croke Park in the league should be there in 3 weeks time. On that basis, there will be thousands of empty seats at the final, so there will be no problem getting tickets, so you won't even need to buy them online, right?rolleyes.gif

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Can this be stickied please for the next few weeks.

Just remove that offending bit about Jedward .. they were class :D .. yeah defo an honourable sticky ... me and me Parnell Pass agree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

People talking about Kerry's dodgy defence are ignoring just how toothless the Dublin attack is.

Bryan Cullen wouldn't get near the Kerry team, Cahill is a defender who has a good engine but won't score, Alan Brogan is not a big game player and Connolly - even if he's allowed play - has been hugely overhyped after an admittedly excellent performance against Tyrone, but won't repeat.

Bernard Brogan is a great bit of stuff, but won't be able to do it on his own and won't get the help from the rest of the forwards or a midfield and half backline that are very gun shy.

On the other side of the field all the talk is now about stopping Cooper being the key to getting past Kerry, while before the Mayo match Cooper was just an afterthought.

Kerry will break even or better at midfield with Galvin playing, put massive pressure on the short kickouts (see for reference our mauling of Cork and their short kickouts in the first half of the Munster final) and have way too much firepower up front for Dublin.

Dublin's funnelling back of their half forward line will be countered by Sheehan, Declan O'Sullivan and Tomas O'Se scoring from distance, while I'd also expect Cooper to range out beyond the 45 in the first half to sling over a few scores.

Once that starts to happen, Dublin will be forced to press farther out the field, leaving space inside.

Kerry have too many weapons, Dublin don't have enough.

Kerry by 7 or 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ya need a re-read there Shamo, was speaking about this year's Dublin teams .. Minors in both Finals, U21 Hurlers and Senior Footballers .. only "disappointments" this year were Hurlers and U21 Footballers:D

Apologies fella - Given the sheer number of teams that have got so far in BOTH codes, I think it must go down as the most productive of years for the Dublin County board and its players. I know most people are talking about the senior footballers reaching the final but I think it is a much bigger achievement to have so many teams still involved at the business end of a championship season. There is great credit due - make no mistake about it.
    The set up of hurling in dublin was revitalised a number of years ago and alot of hard work was put in - and ye are reaping the rewards now ( the kind of thing the Cork County board should have instigated years ago!)

Back to the 'main event' - I still cannot really see Dubln winning this one - although Kerry losing a final would put a little smile on my face;)

Experience of a playing in an All Ireland final - this could play a big part of it, as 'nerves' will no doubt kick in. Yes, dublin are well used to playing in front of a full house but the atmosphere and build up in particular are totally different. I really hope it is a good competitive game and that the season finishes on a high - as distinct to that crap yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was half hoping Donegla would win yesterday but after the cynical fouling I changed by tune and was delighted to see Dublin win.

Dublin have had a soft run to the final and will get eaten alive in Croke Park.

Kerry have 6 forwards and another one in the centre of the half back line. Dublin have one. What happens when Brogan is stopped- Dublin scored two points from play.

It was pathetic to watch. If you go back and watch the Down game where they beat Kerry they kicked phenominal scores from 40-50 yards out- shots they kicked wide against Cork in the final.

Dublin had some atrocious wides yesterday- there was no-one on the team that could take a point on either team from beyond the 40 yard line. Even Donaghy for Kerry kicked one from 50 yards out the last day.

Kerry will win midfield- they won midfield against Mayo who have a better midfield than Dublin. Kerry will win the breaking ball.

The last time Kerry played Dublin they targeted Dublin's short kick outs and won by 17 points.

I can't see any template for Dublin to turn over Kerry.

I was half hoping Donegla would win yesterday but after the cynical fouling I changed by tune and was delighted to see Dublin win.

Dublin have had a soft run to the final and will get eaten alive in Croke Park.

Kerry have 6 forwards and another one in the centre of the half back line. Dublin have one. What happens when Brogan is stopped- Dublin scored two points from play.

It was pathetic to watch. If you go back and watch the Down game where they beat Kerry they kicked phenominal scores from 40-50 yards out- shots they kicked wide against Cork in the final.

Dublin had some atrocious wides yesterday- there was no-one on the team that could take a point on either team from beyond the 40 yard line. Even Donaghy for Kerry kicked one from 50 yards out the last day.

Kerry will win midfield- they won midfield against Mayo who have a better midfield than Dublin. Kerry will win the breaking ball.

The last time Kerry played Dublin they targeted Dublin's short kick outs and won by 17 points.

I can't see any template for Dublin to turn over Kerry.

I'll give ya one thing .. you've been dismissive/derisive of Dublin in all yer previous posts .. nothing's changed there then .. lots of emotive language, I'm guessing ya don't get to fulfill this when yer moderating Taxation *yawn* :rolleyes:

I'll give ya one thing .. you've been dismissive/derisive of Dublin in all yer previous posts .. nothing's changed there then .. lots of emotive language, I'm guessing ya don't get to fulfill this when yer moderating Taxation *yawn* :rolleyes:

Well I've been consistently dismissive because its my opinion that Dublin are a pretty poor team. They are over-reliant on one or two forwards and get hammered in Croke Park any time a team with real forwards shows up to play- i.e Cork, Kerry, Mayo.

They have a good half back line and a decent full back line, a poor half forward line who are athletic but lack vision and basic skills like kicking points from distance.

If you disagree kindly point out where Dublin could compete with Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I must find a blue t-shirt for myself for this one. I will not buy a Dublin Jersey for this, but will be hoping the Dubs pull this off. But if ye do, I'm not going to watch RTE, or buy any newspaper for months. :D

Delighted that Dublin came through yesterday.

But I just cannot see what the Dubs (or any other team) could do to stop Kerry. Kerry forwards can score from some distance out, unlike Donegal. They can move the ball quickly to find the space. And you have to factor in that upfront, Gooch will score a goal or two.

But unlike yesterday, Kerrys style of play will give the Dublin forwards more space to operate in, slow down, and deliver a good pass inside to Brogan, or shoot from half forwards (I hope they practice this).

The worst thing for Dublin however was the semi-finals. Kerry played Mayo in an adequate game of Football which will help them in the final. Yesterdays game however will have done nothing for match day preperation for the Dubs.

For me as a Corkman though, living in Dublin its kind of weird.

I dread watching Kerry win, but after about 4 or 5 days, it will be all forgotten, like it tends to be down in the Kingdom.

I'd much prefer to see Dublin win, even if they were not playing Kerry. But if Dublin win, I still have to live here!!!

Just a word to Dublin fans.

I was here a few weeks ago with my opinions on how Kerry could be stopped, in the end of the day I was wrong.

In the end they showed far more fittness, experience and determination than I was giving them credit for before hand.

If Dublin are to win this they will have to be so on top of their game that they will be dead on the field with exhaustion by the time it is over.

As stated previously, they only have one good forward, what will they do when he is covered ?
    The Kerry backs are not the best in the world, but that is fine if you only have one good forward to worry about.
    They will have to contest midfield, Kerry will not be conceding kick-outs as Donegal did.
    They will have to cover all the Kerry forwards, as we saw v Mayo when one or two have off days there are another one or two to pick up the pieces.

At the end of the days Kerry are a better team and unless they have some sort of serious off day I can only see one result here.

Just a word to Dublin fans.

I was here a few weeks ago with my opinions on how Kerry could be stopped, in the end of the day I was wrong.

In the end they showed far more fittness, experience and determination than I was giving them credit for before hand.

If Dublin are to win this they will have to be so on top of their game that they will be dead on the field with exhaustion by the time it is over.

As stated previously, they only have one good forward, what will they do when he is covered ?
    The Kerry backs are not the best in the world, but that is fine if you only have one good forward to worry about.
    They will have to contest midfield, Kerry will not be conceding kick-outs as Donegal did.
    They will have to cover all the Kerry forwards, as we saw v Mayo when one or two have off days there are another one or two to pick up the pieces.

At the end of the days Kerry are a better team and unless they have some sort of serious off day I can only see one result here.

And Alan Brogan is what then ?...........

listermint wrote: »
    And Alan Brogan is what then ?...........

The brother of the only decent forward you have.

He was anonymous all year no more so than yesterday when Dublin needed someone to link up the free ball from the kickouts to the half back line.

Instead Dublin kicked hopeless high ball in and didn't score from play in the first 50 minutes.

If you gave Kerry free kick outs you wouldn't hold them scoreless. It would be a rout.

Dublin forwards were running in isolation with no overlap on the shoulder- they passed it back, then back, then sideways, then back till someone lumped it in in frustration.

It was awful- and it wasn't all Donegal's fault.

Well I've been consistently dismissive because its my opinion that Dublin are a pretty poor team. They are over-reliant on one or two forwards and get hammered in Croke Park any time a team with real forwards shows up to play- i.e Cork, Kerry, Mayo.

They have a good half back line and a decent full back line, a poor half forward line who are athletic but lack vision and basic skills like kicking points from distance.

If you disagree kindly point out where Dublin could compete with Kerry?

My issue isn't with the relevant comparisons that you make football wise it's the OTT hyperbole and invective you use when commenting on Dublin football, it seems that it's "open season" to provide cringeworthy rhetoric ... want an example from a thread I replied to previously ?

Originally Posted by Mr. Incognito viewpost.gif
    .............I hope we get Dublin because I would enjoy the hype and to watch the deflation and blame game the media play once they get a good kicking in Croke park off Kerry again

On football matters I do think that Kerry hold most of the aces going into the final, more experience and a greater threat from different areas of the field. It's up to Dublin to compete between the two 45's for breaking ball and stop the quick supply to Kerry's inside forwards .. if Paul Flynn is missing then the job will be made all that more difficult as he has excelled there this year and would be a close match up with Galvin.

All in all after 16 years we're lookin forward to it, no point being there if yer not hopeful and which ever way it plays out I doubt very much whether Kerry are good enough team to give us a good kicking, hammering or eat us alive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

For Dublin to beat Kerry, the pace of the game will have to be kept very high by Dublin to test Kerry. I have serious doubts about the likes of Sheehan Brosnan and one or two others if the pace of the game is very high.

The match against Mayo was played at a very low pace which suited some of those players, there were numerous times a pass was given when a player was standing still - too easy!

Kerry are the more skilfull of the two teams by a long way so Dublin like Donegal need to play to their strengths and Kerry's weakness which is fitness and power.

• Advertisement

My issue isn't with the relevant comparisons that you make football wise it's the OTT hyperbole and invective you use when commenting on Dublin football, it seems that it's "open season" to provide cringeworthy rhetoric ... want an example from a thread I replied to previously ?

Originally Posted by Mr. Incognito viewpost.gif
    .............I hope we get Dublin because I would enjoy the hype and to watch the deflation and blame game the media play once they get a good kicking in Croke park off Kerry again

On football matters I do think that Kerry hold most of the aces going into the final, more experience and a greater threat from different areas of the field. It's up to Dublin to compete between the two 45's for breaking ball and stop the quick supply to Kerry's inside forwards .. if Paul Flynn is missing then the job will be made all that more difficult as he has excelled there this year and would be a close match up with Galvin.

All in all after 16 years we're lookin forward to it, no point being there if yer not hopeful and which ever way it plays out I doubt very much whether Kerry are good enough team to give us a good kicking, hammering or eat us alive ;)

I emphasise with you that you must support your own team thick and thin, but don't get carried away thinking that Dublin are up there with Kerry. They simply are not.

They don't play the game as quickly, as physically, as skillfully. They simply don't have the players- the experience- the backs, the forwards- the midfield or the manager.

The last time Dublin played Kerry they went in as favourites and went home 17 points in arrears. That is a massacre and Colm Cooper was the man that did the damage that day. Expect the same treatment.

The brother of the only decent forward you have.

He was anonymous all year no more so than yesterday when Dublin needed someone to link up the free ball from the kickouts to the half back line.

Instead Dublin kicked hopeless high ball in and didn't score from play in the first 50 minutes.

If you gave Kerry free kick outs you wouldn't hold them scoreless. It would be a rout.

Dublin forwards were running in isolation with no overlap on the shoulder- they passed it back, then back, then sideways, then back till someone lumped it in in frustration.

It was awful- and it wasn't all Donegal's fault.

Alan Brogan is a tireless worker, all over the pitch, between covering back and showing himself open for passes it displays everything he does well.

On your second note, Donegal would have forced any side in the championship into that type of play. So yes it was.

I emphasise with you that you must support your own team thick and thin, but don't get carried away thinking that Dublin are up there with Kerry. They simply are not.

They don't play the game as quickly, as physically, as skillfully. They simply don't have the players- the experience- the backs, the forwards- the midfield or the manager.

The last time Dublin played Kerry they went in as favourites and went home 17 points in arrears. That is a massacre and Colm Cooper was the man that did the damage that day. Expect the same treatment.

Rightie oh .. will do thanks

Alan Brogan is a tireless worker, all over the pitch, between covering back and showing himself open for passes it displays everything he does well.

On your second note, Donegal would have forced any side in the championship into that type of play. So yes it was.

I thought Alan Brogan was beyond awful yesterday fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Whoops and I forgot another Kerry weakness, their arrogance, but I suppose that is more their supporters than players...

Ok so lets go back to 2006 and see Kerry v Armagh.

How do Kerry beat Armagh's blanket defence ?

They move the ball fast and long to a big forward (Donaghey) and thus by-pass the blanket

So for Dublin to beat Donegal's blanket they move the ball quick and long into their forwards.

Did they do it, no they did not.

Why, cos they can't.

So at the end of the day it was not all Donegal's fault.

He does a lot of work but running in circles does not make you a great player.

Dublin needed two things yesterday- penetration and someone who could kick scores from distance.

They had neither. Cluxton made three and missed three I believe. Sheehan or Gooch would do a lot better than 50%

Look it- Assuming Dublin played to their potentional they would still run out 5/6 points down. If they were to freeze -well it'll be 09 all over again. If Kerry get a run on you you are not coming back- they have never surrendered a three point lead in Croke park in the last ten years. Not once. Tyrone got ahead of them and managed to keep some daylight there and never beat them by more than three points even when their tactic was to utterly shut Kerry down and they had free scoring forwards and Dooher who could link the play.

Dublin have no equivalent.

EDIT- It seems this thread is coming down to Kerry supporters and a few neutrals saying, objectively looking at one team in 8 of the last 9 All Ireland finals and a team that got washed out at the semi finals the last few years, haven't been there in 15 years and got utterly thrashed the last big game they met- saying, rightly, it's going to take one hell of an effort for Dublin to win this and one hell of an off day for Kerry where practically all their players would have to disappear on All Ireland final day.

Then we have the Dub supporters, rightly supporting their team saying Dublin can do it- but being bereft of ideas how.

Anything can happen in Sport- Offaly 1982 for example, but Kerry are the better team, make no mistake

kilns wrote: »
    Woops and I forgot another Kerry weakness, their arrogance, but I suppose that is more their supporters than players...

You are confusing arrogance with confidence

People who are arrogant rarely win anything, people who are confident always do.

kilns wrote: »
    Woops and I forgot another Kerry weakness, their arrogance, but I suppose that is more their supporters than players...

I think Kerry people are bullish about their chances, and can justifiably be so.

The issue is whether or not we ought to be honest about it, as a few of us have in this thread already.

Tbh, I find the mealy-mouthed "if everything goes perfect for us on the day and the opposition have an off day we might have a bit of a chance" stuff from people who clearly give their team every chance to be far more aggravating.

This place would be pretty boring if everyone sat around being circumspect about their chances even in games they expect to win.

I think Kerry's forwards will be too good for Dublin and I don't think Dublin's forwards are good enough to trouble Kerry, therefore I expect Kerry to win somewhat comfortably. Where's the harm in saying so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

They had neither. Cluxton made three and missed three I believe. Sheehan or Gooch would do a lot better than 50%

S Cluxton (0-2, 1f, 1 '45). He had 5 attempts total.

Advertisement