Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

Het-Field wrote: »
    I actually agree. Naturally, it was not an open and shut decision, as we see things like this all the time, and varying degrees of action have been taken. In spite of this, Connolly should have known better than to raise his hands. However, the gamesmanship from the Donegal man is extraordinary, and was dispicable.

Get Frank Murphy from Cork on the case and he'll have him off, no bother... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

PaulieC wrote: »
    So you're saying he struck a guy 3 times and it's nonsense if he misses the final....the Donegal player acted like a fair city actor there's no denying it but the the crux of all this is a Dublin player struck a Donegal player - he was red carded, it should stand.

Before somebody mentions again that no.8 should've gone also - if he struck a Dublin player then yes, by right he too should've gone.

I genuinely am not trying to wind up Dubs here - I think it's ridiculous that people are standing up for Connolly, at the end of the day he punched another player. It's a red all day long.

Punch?! Get real! It's the outrageous inconsistency that baffles the mind. How can Connolly be sent off and less than a second later, a Donegal player get off scot free?

And it wasn't like he tied him up struck him three times in the face. Both players at it, it was handbags. If Paul Galvin was sent off for the same thing, the Kerry fans would be up in arms about how the "GAA is trying to bring us back down to everyone's level by getting rid of our better players."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

listermint wrote: »
    ding ding ding.... should have been applied across the board. and you know it.

Of course it should.
    dlthough i thought this was the kerry dublin thread..

I'm getting tired of your back seat moderating tbh.

Are you suggesting that whether or not a key member of the Dublin team ought to have his red card upheld or not is irrelevant to the final?

About the same level of critical analysis I'd expect from a man who cites Liam Hayes as one of his sources, Jesus wept :rolleyes:

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ding ding ding, you've got it in one.

It's plain as day tbh.

rulesq.png

Consistency? Why don't more teams end games with 9 or 10 players sent off then, if handbags are to be considered a red card offence. You know it's a pile of crap as well as I do.

Consistency? Why don't more teams end games with 9 or 10 players sent off then, if handbags are to be considered a red card offence. You know it's a pile of crap as well as I do.

He hit him in the face.

The handbags that go on throughout games is shoving and jostling, usually with open fists or with players having hold of one another's jerseys, closed fists into the face does not go on all over the place in games, I don't believe you think it does, and you're calling it handbags to try and get it lumped in with a load of other less serious stuff that does go on.

It's striking, plain as day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

To be fair it was the closed fist that is going to be his undoing, handbags for me is a bit of pushing and shoving, closed fist punch is striking/intent to strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Punch?! Get real! It's the outrageous inconsistency that baffles the mind. How can Connolly be sent off and less than a second later, a Donegal player get off scot free?

And it wasn't like he tied him up struck him three times in the face. Both players at it, it was handbags. If Paul Galvin was sent off for the same thing, the Kerry fans would be up in arms about how the "GAA is trying to bring us back down to everyone's level by getting rid of our better players."
    I'd be the first person to stand up and say that the refereeing of this years championship has been terribly inconsistent - no arguments there.

And I didn't play the whole "If Paul Galvin" card - because that's just all too easy to do these days. I'll put it to you this way - club game in Kerry this year our best player got sent off for the exact same incident - he two handedly hit a fell into the face after being wound up and punched - only he got the red.

We were furious at the ref for not picking up the full back striking our player but we didn't appeal....he was wrong to react and he got a months ban - now this fella didn't miss out on an All Ireland Final but at the end of the day he knew he was wrong to react and strike an opposition player.

You're defending a guy who broke the rules and got caught - he's unfortunate but that doesn't make what he did inexcusable.

He hit him in the face.

The handbags that go on throughout games is shoving and jostling, usually with open fists or with players having hold of one another's jerseys, closed fists into the face does not go on all over the place in games, I don't believe you think it does, and you're calling it handbags to try and get it lumped in with a load of other less serious stuff that does go on.

It's striking, plain as day.

That's undermined by the fact that the strike which got him the red card wasn't to the face. So the rest of what have said is irrelevant.

That's undermined by the fact that the strike which got him the red card wasn't to the face. So the rest of what have said is irrelevant.
    Technically any strike got him the red seeing as it's a red card for striking so that's completely irrelevant

SomeFool wrote: »
    To be fair it was the closed fist that is going to be his undoing, handbags for me is a bit of pushing and shoving, closed fist punch is striking/intent to strike.

The Donegal player who went down did the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Of course it should.

I'm getting tired of your back seat moderating tbh.

Are you suggesting that whether or not a key member of the Dublin team ought to have his red card upheld or not is irrelevant to the final?

About the same level of critical analysis I'd expect from a man who cites Liam Hayes as one of his sources, Jesus wept :rolleyes:

not back seat modding pointing you to the fact that this is the kerry v dublin thread we are on. And in your own words - 'connelly is 100% out'

Also Where did i cite Liam Hayes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The Donegal player who went down did the exact same thing.

I'm not debating that, just saying it wasn't handbags, of course the Donegal player deserved to be sent off too but the fact is Connolly is the one who got caught.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Technically any strike got him the red seeing as it's a red card for striking so that's completely irrelevant

Between 00:14-00:16, the Donegal player's arms are raised. Surely both deserved a red card. Between 00:19-00:21, another Donegal player comes in and throttles Connolly. Why is the Dublin player sent off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaI1PDU2xw

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Lets be honest here he got one goal and that was a lucky rebound against Tyrone. Mcmenamen (however you spell it!) should start ahead of O'Gara if Diarmuid is suspended IMO.

he sure helped us win the league game against Kerry and Paul Flynn went off injured so we need two replacement forwards i think the front line should be

15.alan brogan 14.bernard brogan 13. o gara

12.bryan cullen 11.Barry Cahill 10.mc menamin

Should I post the rules for you again?

Your post here tbh gives away the game.

You're not interested in the fact that your player was clearly in total contravention of one of the most basic rules of the game, you're only interested in how you can use word games to talk your way around it.

cianisgood wrote: »
    he sure helped us win the league game against Kerry and Paul Flynn went off injured so we need two replacement forwards i think the front line should be

15.alan brogan 14.bernard brogan 13. o gara

12.bryan cullen 11.Barry Cahill 10.mc menamin

Still think Flynn will start, Mc Menaman makes a huge change as an impact sub. ideal as he can give 100% for 25-30 minutes rather than half steam over the whole 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

stop talking about donegal this is dublin v kerry they will close the thread

You're not interested in the fact that your player was clearly in total contravention of one of the most basic rules of the game, you're only interested in how you can use word games to talk your way around it.

Not at all. It's outrageously inconsistent that a Dublin player should be sent off but the two different Donegal players should be allowed away with it in the same incident. Hopefully sense will be seen.

And i was pointing out that the rule should have been applied across the board to all players involved in the infraction, but you started to get personal on my posts.....

So stop dragging the thread back down like it was yesterday it got tired very fast. Im sure we can both agree on that.

Not at all. It's outrageously inconsistent that a Dublin player should be sent off but the two different Donegal players should be allowed away with it in the same incident. Hopefully sense will be seen.

Nah what I said above is exactly what's going on.

Our guy broke the rules? Don't care, let him play.

You've no interest in football, only that your crowd ends up with the bragging rights at the end of the year. It's pathetic tbh.

You can go back into any of last year's threads where Galvin and Tomas O'Se were discussed and you'll see that the vast majority of Kerry people made no defence of either of them, made no calls for their bans to be overturned, only that others who were deserving of the same fate share their fate.

Here, all we have is people saying "you're man from Donegal got away with it so our fella should be left off as well".

It's stomach churning stuff tbh, and it's as anti-football as the Donegal gameplan so many were crying over yesterday.

• Advertisement

And i was pointing out that the rule should have been applied across the board

Who disagrees with you? Point him out so I can tell him he's wrong.

Nah what I said above is exactly what's going on.

Our guy broke the rules? Don't care, let him play.

You've no interest in football, only that your crowd ends up with the bragging rights at the end of the year. It's pathetic tbh.

You can go back into any of last year's threads where Galvin and Tomas O'Se were discussed and you'll see that the vast majority of Kerry people made no defence of either of them, made no calls for their bans to be overturned, only that others who were deserving of the same fate share their fate.

Here, all we have is people saying "you're man from Donegal got away with it so our fella should be left off as well".

It's stomach churning stuff tbh.

Oh for God's sake, would you ever get over yourself. "I'm right and I don't care what anyone else has to say." You're pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Can a GAA Mod Please Move the last three pages to a new thread and let the rest of us of who give a flying funk about Donegal and Striking and Recinding in Peace

Oh for God's sake, would you ever get over yourself. "I'm right and I don't care what anyone else has to say." You're pathetic.

I know I'm right, I'm just amazed at the idea that I'd have to explain this shit to someone.

lol

I know I'm right, I'm just amazed at the idea that I'd have to explain this shit to someone.

You are an ABD merchant. Be honest, it would be refreshing for everyone.

Who disagrees with you? Point him out so I can tell him he's wrong.

No one, but you cant agree with anyone without getting your own personal dig in. some of your posts are insane. Totally insane!

I very much doubt if you trawl through last years thread you would see any difference in the volume of posters defending the kerry players to the lads defending the dublin players.

Its swings and roundabouts.

And to make yourself sick to the stomach by 1 or 2 posters saying that the red card should be recinded! Your mad man, You should write for the indo with that sensationalist rubbish.

All the while im still saying that Connelly was wrong and it should have been applied to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Can a GAA Mod Please Move the last three pages to a new thread and let the rest of us of who give a flying funk about Donegal and Striking and Recinding in Peace

Sorry, Connolly's participation, or lack thereof in the final is an important element of pre-match discussion. The detail of his transgression will hang him, or set him free. As fans, we should be entitled to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is going be great two and half weeks in here:D

• Advertisement

Between 00:14-00:16, the Donegal player's arms are raised. Surely both deserved a red card. Between 00:19-00:21, another Donegal player comes in and throttles Connolly. Why is the Dublin player sent off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaI1PDU2xw
    Most are in agreement that the donegal player should've also gone - the issue I have with your posts so far in this thread are that you feel that's sufficient to allow Connolly have his red rescined and play in an AI final which is ludacris in all honesty!

Advertisement