Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Himalayas by Bike

• 17-05-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am travelling to India cycling through the India Himalayas.

Dates: 23/8/12 to 23/9/12

Type of route: Road and off road trail routes

Route: Leh to Manali and beyond

Distance: 600km +

myBike: Preference Mountain Bike hardtail- with single wheeled bike trailer. A 700cc touring bike is not suitable for the type of terrain.

Accommodation: Camping+ Hotels

No of people going: 2/3

If you have a month off, fancy cycling through the world's highest road and would like to join us then contact me for more details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

the last time a fella asked me to do a similar trip, i went and spent about 2 grand on bike and gear then the b....rd went and changed his mind.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

the last time a fella asked me to do a similar trip, i went and spent about 2 grand on bike and gear then the b....rd went and changed his mind.:mad:

You shoulda just went solo:)
    Don't mean to thread spoil on the op but did u do much touring in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

PatMcMahon wrote: »

I am travelling to India cycling through the India Himalayas.

Dates: 23/8/12 to 23/9/12

Type of route: Road and off road trail routes

Route: Leh to Manali and beyond

Distance: 600km +

myBike: Preference Mountain Bike hardtail- with single wheeled bike trailer. A 700cc touring bike is not suitable for the type of terrain.

Accommodation: Camping+ Hotels

No of people going: 2/3

If you have a month off, fancy cycling through the world's highest road and would like to join us then contact me for more details.

Funnily enough, I'm doing much the same route a week before you (in reverse), but going 'supported'. It may kill me. Had I read this post earlier today, I'd have considered going with you.

You shoulda just went solo:)
    Don't mean to thread spoil on the op but did u do much touring in the end?
    sorry to the OP but i just had to comment , done a bit in france and the uk here in ireland as well and i'm heading off on tuesday mizen to malin.
    so not a complete waste of money but a bloody lousy thing to do .
    anyway it's done and dusted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Will the monsoon have passed by then?

I was in this region around late 09, it's a stunning stunning part of the world, if I don't make it back sometime I will be very disappointed.

If you go you won't regret it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Biker68

Yes the Monsoon should have passed by then.

My flights are all booked with KLM so no going back.

It's a region of the world I have always wanted to go to so looking forward to it especially the Zanskar Valley, ladakh region.

Thanks everyone for your reply.

Feck Sack Lads. Good Username... You should have sued that bloke who let you down.

Yes the Monsoon should have passed by then.

My flights are all booked with KLM so no going back.

It's a region of the world I have always wanted to go to so looking forward to it especially the Zanskar Valley, ladakh region.

Thanks everyone for your reply.

Feck Sack Lads. Good Username... You should have sued that bloke who let you down.
    best of luck with the trip sounds like a real adventure enjoy it boy.
    no point in trying to sue as he would most certainly be able to wangle his way out of it :mad:

Throw some pics up here when you get back, should be a great trip.

All places for this tour are now filled. Thanks for your interest. Will post pictures on return.

reply to lg123 .....I have posted pictures of the trip on flikr. Amazing trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patbybike/sets/

Let me know what you think.

My next trip is to Iceland in March for a week and then July for a month on mainland Europe starting in Nice to Amsterdam and cycling all the way back to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

That looks amazing. What's the Iceland plan/ route?

reply to lg123 .....I have posted pictures of the trip on flikr. Amazing trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patbybike/sets/

Let me know what you think.

My next trip is to Iceland in March for a week and then July for a month on mainland Europe starting in Nice to Amsterdam and cycling all the way back to Dublin.
    wow what a trip fantastic, how many went and for how long .

Great trip and pics. Did you ever weigh your bike when fully loaded?

How many kms were you averaging per day?

Advertisement