Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

future forest nursery recommendation

• 14-09-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi has anyone purchased shrubs or trees form future forest garden centre in west cork. Any thoughts or comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Bought fifty 4' bare root Hornbeam hedge plants form them over three years ago. Plants were in top condition and to date they are all still thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Caracol

I bought my hedges there 2 years ago - Bought Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Aronia, rosehip - all bareroot. Also bought Thuja Plicta (in 9 cm pots)

I can highly recommend Future Forests. 2 years later, everything is growing very healthily and i haven't lost any one of them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Squiggle wrote: »
    Bought fifty 4' bare root Hornbeam hedge plants form them over three years ago. Plants were in top condition and to date they are all still thriving.

How much for the 4 foot tall Hornbeams,if you dont mind me asking?

Im looking to get about nother 30 soon,for the rest of my boundars walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

According to their website 3-4 ft tall hornbeams plants are workings out at 200 euro for 50 trees.

rebelden wrote: »
    According to their website 3-4 ft tall hornbeams plants are workings out at 200 euro for 50 trees.

OUCH.:eek:

Is that bare root or actuall planted/potted hornbeams??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Where was that paddy, if you dont mind me asking.

Where was that paddy, if you dont mind me asking.

PJ Larkin and Sons in Roscommon.

The hornbeams are absolutely flying now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

paddy147 wrote: »
    How much for the 4 foot tall Hornbeams,if you dont mind me asking?

Im looking to get about nother 30 soon,for the rest of my boundars walls.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    OUCH.:eek:

Is that bare root or actuall planted/potted hornbeams??

I paid 4 euro a plant for the 4' ones but future forests generally sell bare root hornbeam or beech plants from 1' up to 5' or 6' so you can get the plants for much less than 4 euro each. The bare root stuff is only sold from November to the end of March roughly, when the plants are dormant. I'm delighted with my hedge - I sowed in March three years ago and the hedge is now a full thick 7' hedge - I sowed the original plants 24'' apart.

Squiggle wrote: »
    I paid 4 euro a plant for the 4' ones but future forests generally sell bare root hornbeam or beech plants from 1' up to 5' or 6' so you can get the plants for much less than 4 euro each. The bare root stuff is only sold from November to the end of March roughly, when the plants are dormant. I'm delighted with my hedge - I sowed in March three years ago and the hedge is now a full thick 7' hedge - I sowed the original plants 24'' apart.

Ah right,I bought 44 bare root back in early April from PJ Larkins (they were allready leafing) but I got them straight into the ground and they are flying.

Delievered to my door and just in the nick of time too.My missus planted them about 14 inches apart,as we want a very full hedge and good cover too.

Im on the lookout for about another 20 hornbeams of about 4 feet tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

try yellow furze outside navan if ur from around dat area.

• Advertisement

holuc wrote: »
    try yellow furze outside navan if ur from around dat area.

I wouldnt be a million miles away from Navan.

Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Hi has anyone purchased shrubs or trees form future forest garden centre in west cork. Any thoughts or comments.

used to work as a forester in munster until fairly recently, whenever our main supplier was short on stock or delayed we bought trees out of future forests...never had any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bought some bare root River Birch there a couple years back and no problem with them.

I'll be back for more this winter.

Advertisement