18-03-2021, 12:52   #1
Rmulvany

"The Emergency" Local Defence Force records - c. 1940

Hi all,

My great uncle who was a Franciscan Monk from the age of 25 onward.
I recently discovered that before joining the OFM, he appears to have been involved with the Local Defense Forces in Gormanstown Camp in 1940 which would have been during WW2 / The Emergency.
I found this out through an old photo album of his which contains images of him and other lads in military uniform, some with weapons, and some appear to be around a spot light. On the back of all the pictures in Gormanstown Camp 1940

Would anyone know where I would look for information on his time in the forces?
I emailed the Military Archives but received no reply.

Ryan
Advertisement
18-03-2021, 14:38   #2
Mick Tator

I cannot think of anywhere else. Nor would there be much on the record ( if anything), not 'findable' elsewhere. The LDF was a fore-runner of the FCA, a sort of 'Dad's Army'. The Mil. Archives are not very well staffed. It takes time, but on my one interaction I fould them very helpful. FWIW Gormanstown was an Air Corps aerodrome until some years ago. I'd send them a copy of the photo for their records and ask for info again.
18-03-2021, 14:42   #3
Rmulvany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator View Post
I cannot think of anywhere else. Nor would there be much on the record ( if anything), not 'findable' elsewhere. The LDF was a fore-runner of the FCA, a sort of 'Dad's Army'. The Mil. Archives are not very well staffed. It takes time, but on my one interaction I fould them very helpful. FWIW Gormanstown was an Air Corps aerodrome until some years ago. I'd send them a copy of the photo for their records and ask for info again.
Thanks, I had been meaning on scanning and restoring the photos, some have names on the back so they may definitely be of interest to the archive.
And yes, perhaps I'll get a response in time.
18-03-2021, 14:42   #4
Rmulvany

Also, I am just presuming he was in the LDF just from a quick google, if there are any other organizations he could have been in it may be of interest

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion