Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Deer Society "member" convicted of dumping deer carcasses.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Deerhunter2

jwshooter wrote: »
    i think he was miles from loch corrib ,and if it was state forestry. i did not read that part .

what is state forestry now? ..coillte was sold to the highest bidder.

who brought the prosecution against him to court coillte, npws, epa,?

5 bags of offal the willie wag tails in my yard would eat that in a week

you are wrong, he dumped 2 full deer in a stream, I saw the photos. the stream flows into the corrib and is our water supply in galway city. the deer were cut in to quaters so he could move 'em, they were big stags, the bags were stuffed with whole ducks. he was using this dump site for a while according to the lad that showed me the photos. he is a disgrace to all hunters. he got what he deserved and it was about time too.

are you sure those willy wag tails are not magpies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

OK Im wrong too. I heard a different story,that they were only butchered carcasses and nothing more than a bit of grollach and a few bones.Its a shameful waste of a life to go and shoot them and just go and dump them. Hedid get what he deserved if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

you are wrong, he dumped 2 full deer in a stream, I saw the photos. the stream flows into the corrib and is our water supply in galway city. the deer were cut in to quaters so he could move 'em, they were big stags, the bags were stuffed with whole ducks. he was using this dump site for a while according to the lad that showed me the photos. he is a disgrace to all hunters. he got what he deserved and it was about time too.

Thats fecking disgracefull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
    He should be baned from having anything to do with firearms or hunting and i have heard he use to be a right bollicks, acting like a ranger in that area, bloody hipocrite......:mad:

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Somebody must have known what he was up to. It's not possible to be shooting for trophies, selling them and not be known for it. How would you get business?

he was chairman of the deer society, he wrote in the shooting digest about deer hunting all the time, he put himself up on a pedestal as irelands authority on deer hunting, and told us how we all should be doing it. do as i say not as i do. he has tormented any body that does a bit of deer hunting over this way, go near the deer in connemara and he'll be all over you like a rash, even when you are perfectly legal, nothing wrong or illegal with the business of selling trophys rrpc, there is alot wrong with paul woods:mad: there is no defending him and his actions and the judge saw him for what he is.

• Advertisement

he was chairman of the deer society, he wrote in the shooting digest about deer hunting all the time, he put himself up on a pedestal as irelands authority on deer hunting, and told us how we all should be doing it. do as i say not as i do. he has tormented any body that does a bit of deer hunting over this way, go near the deer in connemara and he'll be all over you like a rash, even when you are perfectly legal, nothing wrong or illegal with the business of selling trophys rrpc, there is alot wrong with paul woods:mad: there is no defending him and his actions and the judge saw him for what he is.

Well said. Thats exactly how he was and their is plenty more like him out their, currupt as they come, no wonder Irelands deer population is nothing like it was back in the 80's, its gone very low !. :(
    You would be lucky to see a good fallow buck now, anywhere in roscommon, sligo and east galway, a shame..that includes red stags, good ones are rare as hens teeth...

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

Well if that's true then fair play to the judge & whoever reported him. Is Woods still chairman or have the Deer Society distanced themselves from him ? There is always a Bad Apple & the amount of damage that he can do to the rest of us can not be underestimated ! There are enough Tree Huggers out there that will feed on this sort of thing & assume that it goes on all of the time. This guy should not be allowed to hold a license again & any true hunter, society, magazine, etc.. should dissassociate themselves from him!

"Assuming that what Deerhunter 2 is true of course & I have no reason to doubt that it is."

Keelan wrote: »
    Well said. Thats exactly how he was and their is plenty more like him out their, currupt as they come, no wonder Irelands deer population is nothing like it was back in the 80's, its gone very low !. :(
    You would be lucky to see a good fallow buck now, anywhere in roscommon, sligo and east galway, a shame..that includes red stags, good ones are rare as hens teeth...

Keelan.

I think that you will find that there is actually more Deer than there was in the 80's but you are right in that the quality is not there. This is down to greed & bad management in most cases & as has been the case over the last number of years in a lot of area's the highest bidder gets in, takes as much as he can with no management strategy & then moves on somewhere else to do the same again! IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

rrpc wrote: »
    Somebody must have known what he was up to. It's not possible to be shooting for trophies, selling them and not be known for it. How would you get business?

And what sort of a <person> goes and does that anyway??
    And more so which kind of a lazy <snip> hunter would buy a trophy somone else has shot???:mad: Thats not hunting,thats contract killing!
    Anyone who does that has no right to be called or call themselves a hunter,and should be ostracised from the hunting community,and be known as a praiah by all..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I just don't see the point - if he didn't want the carcass - Myself or any of a long list of people I know would have loved to get some venison.

I'm a fisherman, not a hunter - but the ethos prevail. You hunt out of neccesity for pest control or for food - not for trophies. Getting one along the way is fair enough - but to waste the carcass is to me absolute sacrilege.

• Advertisement

I think that you will find that there is actually more Deer than there was in the 80's but you are right in that the quality is not there. This is down to greed & bad management in most cases & as has been the case over the last number of years in a lot of area's the highest bidder gets in, takes as much as he can with no management strategy & then moves on somewhere else to do the same again! IMHO

Agree. Greed amongst a lot of deerhunters, seems to be the norm, as well. Their was a hell of lot of deer in the late 80's and up until the late 90's around Boyle, lots of good bucks ect, try even spotting a doe their now, you will be lucky..:(
    After the massecar of deer, by a certain individual in east Galway, the same has happened their...disrcaefull. This is the reason, i dont shot deer anymore, as i did do for years in these areas, from 79, to 97. I dont wish to add to the mass cull, thats even going on now in the summer months, due to section 42's being handed out like sweets......:(

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i thought the deer carcasses and bags of offal were removed form the place ,so how did your friend get a picture deerhunter 2 was he the warden ?

If you leave these alone and for a while,you"ll eventually see them running out of rope,this is a prime example of,give them enough rope and they eventually hang themselves. Look at what happened to the NPWS ranger in Galway,he alledgedly went on with a similar racket till he ran out of rope.Ive had dealings with both of these guys and I always predicted a sad outcome for both of them. What goes around comes around.

thedragon wrote: »
    If you leave these alone and for a while,you"ll eventually see them running out of rope,this is a prime example of,give them enough rope and they eventually hang themselves. Look at what happened to the NPWS ranger in Galway,he alledgedly went on with a similar racket till he ran out of rope.Ive had dealings with both of these guys and I always predicted a sad outcome for both of them. What goes around comes around.

Absalutely, spot on.

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

i thought the deer carcasses and bags of offal were removed form the place ,so how did your friend get a picture deerhunter 2 was he the warden ?
    i thought it was that when he knew he had been nabbed that the carcasses were removed.:confused: nothing stopping someone taking a picture before that time?

Keelan wrote: »

Keelan.

theres never being as many deer from what i can see and hear from other lads. never being as many lads shooting either, they just stick ta cover more.

he got dem from the lad that saw woods dumping, think he's gettin them made into christmas cards to send to all the members of the deer society:D

wood was low and nasty, he hated anybody near connemara that wasn't pert of his clic. i have ground over in the ballygar direction, met that ranger a few times, he's fine as long as your straight and stay where ya have permission, most of the lads over there just cruise the roads looking for handy ones, lads come from all over ireland looking for bucks in the rut, you'd think it was the galway ring road with the traffic on a saturday or sunday mornin in october or november. the ranger put a stop to them lads alright, probably why he gat such a bad name. iheard lads were tryin to stitch him up, his dogs were even killed, i don't think he ran out of rope, i'd say twas cut.

He never felt that the law applied to himself.He was alledgedly the worst thing that the word "Hunting" had to offer,himself and Wood should be joined at the hip.

never did me wrong, met him several times, he was doing his job as far as i'm concerned, better bucks about since he showed up and less assh0les cruiseing. he shoots a lot of hinds but dats a good thing. my ground was shot to bits by lads cruiseing and now the deer a coming back. if ya have proof of wromg doings then let us know, its easy make allegations, you obviously have it in for him, wonder why?

never did me wrong, met him several times, he was doing his job as far as i'm concerned, better bucks about since he showed up and less assh0les cruiseing. he shoots a lot of hinds but dats a good thing. my ground was shot to bits by lads cruiseing and now the deer a coming back. if ya have proof of wromg doings then let us know, its easy make allegations, you obviously have it in for him, wonder why?

Have you took a look a at the thread concerning his whole issue.Hes not under investigation for nothing.My problem with this bloke is,waving the badge and feeling he could shoot anywhere he felt like.He did certainly slow down a lot of the assholes and drive by shooters,Ill give him that much.If I elaborate too much here Ill be banned from Boards.I wouldnt say a bad word against a good man.But this guys carry on shocks me.Wait till the story unfolds and becomes legal,then tell me what you think.

Have you took a look a at the thread concerning his whole issue.Hes not under investigation for nothing.My problem with this bloke is,waving the badge and feeling he could shoot anywhere he felt like.He did certainly slow down a lot of the assholes and drive by shooters,Ill give him that much.If I elaborate too much here Ill be banned from Boards.I wouldnt say a bad word against a good man.But this guys carry on shocks me.Wait till the story unfolds and becomes legal,then tell me what you think.

Can you post a link to that thread ? Thanks

• Advertisement

has the deer population "numbers" risen it the areas that wood and byrne looked after .
    have the stags / bucks numbers and there quality improved .
    the shooting of male animals in the rut by poachers and lads shooting of the wing mirror has almost stopped has it not in the areas .

reading between the lines i think the problem is its not a free for all any more ,where deer were shot nite and day by <people> that did not care about man or law.

populations of deer through out the country has been decimated in the last few years by sed <people>.

i have friends in donegal, louth,tip,waterford,meath,wicklow. that have deen stalking for 20 years and more they all will tell you the same.

a small few areas have good numbers of deer but not like it was.

the same has happened hear, there has been a few sika moving into my area .5 <people> bought rifles a few years ago .
    they have shot the only few hinds in the wood near me i could have done it years ago but wanted to give them a chance.
    they have lamped the hill after the few deer on it getting bogged one nite at 12 o clock on it .the guy that pulled them out said they had two rifles with them.
    two of them one night fired at a eye the eye went out and came back again they fired again and again. 3 shots with a 25,06 .when they went to look it turned out to be a reflector on the pedal of a old bike.

its a pity we dont have more lads like byrne stopping this ,before some one is killed.

Can you post a link to that thread ? Thanks

Its under.

"NPWS ranger running his own shoot"

On the next page.

i'v been askin around, seems he was set up by a lad he used to shoot wit and dey had an arguement , seems yer man went to nargc wit a few documents for a business plan from years ago before he knew he wasn't allowed to run it, he never took people shooting for money, only a few pals from when he was a ranger in germany.
    i think he has done great work in the area but then agin i wouldn't think that if he stopped me for poachin,
    i agree wit jwshooter, pity thers not more like him, he's got balls to stand up to them after all they have don to stop him, its easy make allegations its hard to defend against them, what happened his dogs? hes had several threatening phone calls to his family too from what i hear. poachers have no morals.
    if he had more of his type and less of woods type weed be better off

its a pity we dont have more lads like byrne stopping this ,before some one is killed.

While laudable that the man was doing what he was paid to do in the first place.It is not on that somone in authorithy starts to exceed their authorithy or use it to bully others to their own personal benefit or whims.
    Otherwise you just have corruption and graft and all the rest,and we have quite enough of that in this country in all levels of society.Thank you.Absolute power corrupts,and in this case to prove that there is still some justice out there once this man is found guilty or innocent,he should be dismissed from his post.As he is now tainted with suspicion .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

has the deer population "numbers" risen it the areas that wood and byrne looked after .
    have the stags / bucks numbers and there quality improved .
    the shooting of male animals in the rut by poachers and lads shooting of the wing mirror has almost stopped has it not in the areas .

reading between the lines i think the problem is its not a free for all any more ,where deer were shot nite and day by <people> that did not care about man or law.

populations of deer through out the country has been decimated in the last few years by sed <people>.

i have friends in donegal, louth,tip,waterford,meath,wicklow. that have deen stalking for 20 years and more they all will tell you the same.

a small few areas have good numbers of deer but not like it was.

the same has happened hear, there has been a few sika moving into my area .5 <people> bought rifles a few years ago .
    they have shot the only few hinds in the wood near me i could have done it years ago but wanted to give them a chance.
    they have lamped the hill after the few deer on it getting bogged one nite at 12 o clock on it .the guy that pulled them out said they had two rifles with them.
    two of them one night fired at a eye the eye went out and came back again they fired again and again. 3 shots with a 25,06 .when they went to look it turned out to be a reflector on the pedal of a old bike.

I totally agree that we all need a good ranger to watch for poachers but when the ranger alledgedly becomes a bigger problem than the poachers themselves,well then nothing ever works out good.Be careful what you wish for JW,you just might get it,or so the saying goes.I hope you do get a good ranger to sort out your poaching problem.Sounds like ye need it,thats what we need too and very badly.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    While laudable that the man was doing what he was paid to do in the first place.It is not on that somone in authorithy starts to exceed their authorithy or use it to bully others to their own personal benefit or whims.
    Otherwise you just have corruption and graft and all the rest,and we have quite enough of that in this country in all levels of society.Thank you.Absolute power corrupts,and in this case to prove that there is still some justice out there once this man is found guilty or innocent,he should be dismissed from his post.As he is now tainted with suspicion .

he is under investigation for alledged breach of civil service code of practice. which only means somebody made an allegation,. why should he be dismissed if he is found innocent. and will anybody write a story in the paper if he is found to be innocent, i don't think so. every body just assumes hes guity because it was in the paper, its very unfair, paper should not have printed anything until the investigation was over and the case proven, so the constitution has chamged has it? guilty til proven innocent and we do want to know if your proven innocent:mad:

there was two rangers mentioned in that paper article, i think people and mixing their stories up, the sligo lad is way out of line, he's a proven offender the galway lad is being looked at because of allegations by his enemies, seems some of them are here too

i'v been askin around, seems he was set up by a lad he used to shoot wit and dey had an arguement , seems yer man went to nargc wit a few documents for a business plan from years ago before he knew he wasn't allowed to run it, he never took people shooting for money, only a few pals from when he was a ranger in germany.
    i think he has done great work in the area but then agin i wouldn't think that if he stopped me for poachin,
    i agree wit jwshooter, pity thers not more like him, he's got balls to stand up to them after all they have don to stop him, its easy make allegations its hard to defend against them, what happened his dogs? hes had several threatening phone calls to his family too from what i hear. poachers have no morals.
    if he had more of his type and less of woods type weed be better off

every thing you have said is correct .deerhunter 2 your well informed.

his deer tracking dogs that he brought back from germany went missing and were killed on him .

the man has very high morral standards and was a professional wild life manager in germany for years before returning home .
    un like germany, <people> are let do as the please hear ,i would think mr byrne has rocked the npws boat in the west .pity there is not more like him through out the country or at the top of the npws.

wild life crime is a big problem ,with new bye laws after been brought in by minister brendan smith it will be interesting does any one want to enforce them.

i wont be disappointed as i expect no one will

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

do you use a ladder to get down of your cross ever monring ?

you would want to get a man with a young family sacked from his job for no reason .

• Advertisement

he is under investigation for alledged breach of civil service code of practice. which only means somebody made an allegation,. why should he be dismissed if he is found innocent.

That came out wrong!I meant was if he is cleared and there is still lingering suspicion he should be asked to resign.As it says the system has to be impartial and above board as possible.We need trust in the system,no smoke without fire and all that.
    and will anybody write a story in the paper if he is found to be innocent, i don't think so.

He has just a much a right to reply as has any other person to the press in Ireland.Why shouldnt there be a public intrest in it??
    every body just assumes hes guity because it was in the paper, its very unfair, paper should not have printed anything until the investigation was over and the case proven,

Ummm intresting concept of freedom of the press and public right to know and comment ,and transperency of justice there.Would work pretty well in N Korea or Soviet Russia.
    so the constitution has chamged has it? guilty til proven innocent and we do want to know if your proven innocent:mad:

That my dear man has been always been the case here in Ireland!! If you dont belive this have a read of some of our law firearms law included.The onus is a Hell of a lot on the defence to prove their innocence in a court of law.:(

Advertisement