Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Hello,

I am giving serious thought to taking up TEFL training also and am wondering if anyone maybe able to advise me. Italy is my country of preference and after all the research I have done the crowd below are the leading candidates. I am hoping someone has direct or indirect experience of them and can tell me what they are like. I don't live near any training school in Ireland so I would have accomodation costs here anyway so why not get over and get stuck into the Italian culture from the off is my logic. The 4 weeks plus roof comes in at 1700 euro, saucy but I can afford it. The time in Nov-Dec can also be arranged. Anyone heard of them?

Thanks in advance,

http://www.teflcorp.com/tefl-florence-italy.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Finished up my CELT course good few months ago and have finally received my approved cert, ACELS take ages!!!!:)

Just have to say to anyone considering doing a part time CELT on top of a full time job, really really know what you are getting into! I was pulling my hair out for the full ten weeks, was really stressed trying to do lesson plans, teacing practices, and assignments on top of my own work and had no weekends!!:(

But you can get through it, if ya are really organised, stay on top of the assignments, be able to motivate yourself and be sure ya can get time off from work for all the teaching practices during the day!:) You will end up meeting great people!

If it was all worth it for me, remains to be seen.....:p

Just thought I'd share my experience for anyone thinking of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Thank you for posting that spudz21, people just don't always hear the warnings we give them as tutors when they apply for the course. Oh, and Cogratulations ! You made it, I hope EFL takes you the places and finds you amazing people to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 snowleapord

Hi all I am starting a full time CELTA course in Nov. Can anyone advise me if I have to buy all new books or is it possible to buy second hand ones?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hi all I am starting a full time CELTA course in Nov. Can anyone advise me if I have to buy all new books or is it possible to buy second hand ones?

Hi snowleapord and welcome to Boards.ie !

I can't really answer your question but as soon as my wife gets in (from teaching CELTA!) I'll get her to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacintha

Can I just say that this forum makes great reading for me as I have just signed up to do a CELT course in the near future. While I understand that I am at a distinct disadvantage (as I do not hold a degree in any shape or form) and am seriously nervous, I am going to give it my all.

In reply to "Weepie", what really scared me is that you have 2 degrees and you were so nervous, I for personal reasons have to go "full steam ahead" slog my guts out to try get this certificate as I am moving abroad in the future. Can you let me know if you did the course and is it as hard as everyone has said?

I am going to borrow some of (KEVIN from DUBLIN'S) advice, encouragement and positive thinking and do my utmost to gain this qualification. Yes, I am beyond scared but as I have two children and am investing in an au pair to live in my house for 12 weeks while I throw myself into this course (3 nights a week), and study every day for as many hours as I need to during the week, I just cannot afford, on any level to fail as I was made redundant from my job.

I am forty years old, with a lively toddler and have not studied in 20 years but please, let it be possible with an eager heart and mind and a lot of slogging to achieve this qualification, even for a Mum just like me??

Is there anyone else out there who is not a teacher and does not have a degree or any teaching skills who did this course and passed?

Please reply as I need some encouragement!!

I am dreading the "standing up in front of everyone and trying my hand at teaching", but I am more scared of the other prospect of not being able to make ends meet and letting my children down and failing before I even begin if I throw the towel in now.

Sorry about the long drawn out post but I have to bounce the idea off someone and just wait for some feedback

Worried girl!!!!

Ponster wrote: »
    Hi snowleapord and welcome to Boards.ie !

I can't really answer your question but as soon as my wife gets in (from teaching CELTA!) I'll get her to reply.
    I do as he bids ... you should be able to find second hand through the usual channels (amazon used books if nowhere else). You don't need to invest in lots of books tho'.

One grammar book is essential - I like "An A-Z of English Grammar" by Leech et al, or "Grammar for English Grammar Teachers" by Martin Parrott.

One methodology book is useful. The centre where you're doing the course should have some books available for reference or to borrow.
    Hope this helps.

Hello, in case you haven't read the whole thread, I'm actually a CELTA tutor.
    jacintha wrote: »
    While I understand that I am at a distinct disadvantage (as I do not hold a degree in any shape or form)
    Not at all - the CELTA requirement is simply "has a level of education which would allow entry into higher education in their country". The course is very practical, not academic, it's all about applying techniques altho' you do have written assignments to complete they are not "go and sit in a library and do tons of background reading and analysis" type essays.
    In reply to "Weepie", what really scared me is that you have 2 degrees and you were so nervous,(snip) Can you let me know if you did the course and is it as hard as everyone has said?
    I'm not "Weepie" but let me say nerves have less to do with academic achievement than with standing up in front of your peers and tutor and teaching a class. It IS hard - you have to be ready to deal with a heavy workload and constant evaluation which can be difficult. Just remember that people are never judging you as a person, nor your intelligence, just your ability to apply effective teaching techniques.
    I am forty years old, with a lively toddler and have not studied in 20 years but please, let it be possible with an eager heart and mind and a lot of slogging to achieve this qualification, even for a Mum just like me??
    Off the top of my head I've personally worked with about a dozen mothers who've passed the course this year, not to mention at least one divorced dad who had the kids with him for half the course. It sounds as if you have taken the necessary steps to give yourself a decent crack of the whip. Time management plays a part - any mum has to be good at that. If you've got kids you'll have taught them things so the whole concept isn't new to you. It is probably worth sketching out a schedule of when you're going to do things and remember to plan in quality time with the kids. I'm not going to lie to you - the longer you've been out of formal education the harder you find it to get back into the swing of things - there is a lot of new information to absorb but doing a 12 week course gives you more processing time.
    Is there anyone else out there who is not a teacher and does not have a degree or any teaching skills who did this course and passed?
    I was about to say "Plenty !" but then I re-read your quote & added italics. No, people who do not have teaching skills do not pass the course. However the whole point of the course is to learn those skills !!! I'd say the majority of people I've had through the CELTA courses I've worked on did not have prior teaching experience. Sometimes if you have taught in a different context (kids, lecturing) it's more difficult to adapt.
    I am dreading the "standing up in front of everyone and trying my hand at teaching", but I am more scared of the other prospect of not being able to make ends meet and letting my children down and failing before I even begin if I throw the towel in now.
    Deep breath. You're not going to "try your hand at teaching", no one is throwing you to the sharks. You're doing a course to learn how to teach. Everyone wants you to succeed - your colleagues, the tutors and even the learners ! Some people even enjoy the course.
    How did I do ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacintha

Hi Paris,

You're very good to take the time and effort to answer me in such great detail and with all your valuable advice. I do feel a little better but I suppose when you're made redundant (as the economy in Ireland is pretty bad at the moment) your confidence takes a hard knock.

I just felt that creches and childminders were not the answer and to give myself a fair shot at this course, that it would be better to have an au pair live in my house for the duration.

You are right, it will be daunting and nerve racking to stand up in front of everyone and I know everyone will be in the same boat as me, but I can't help feeling that they will be so much better than me, more used to studying and therefore absorb information quicker and more accurately, but I will do my utmost to get this certificate and I hope that if I am weak at one section or am having difficulty that the tutors will guide me in the right direction.

What was upsetting me the most was that when I telephoned the places that ran the courses (and let me tell you I must have rang the majority of them in Ireland) they informed me that you would have little time for anything else for the length of time the course was running. My translation of this was that if qualified teachers were going to have to abandon all else, whether it was for the 4 week intensive course, or the part-time course, what hope did I have of passing it?

Anyway I could waffle on forever about my worries and woes but instead I will ask you, as it is the CELT course that I am doing, what books could you recommed to me that I could read through that would help me on my way before the couse commences.

By the way, you did great!!!!

I'm going to pick holes in one thing you said tho', "if qualified teachers were going to have to abandon all else" .. there may indeed be qualified teachers on the course - but this is the thing - they're not qualified EFL teachers or they wouldn't be doing the course. In my experience the only advantage people who with prior teaching experience really have is the confidence to stand up in the classroom - otherwise they can actually be at a disadvantage, having to unlearn things before they can move forward.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you like.

I mentioned two of the grammar books I like in the post above yours and for methodology either Harmer's "The practice of English language teaching" or "How to teach English" or, perhaps more approachable, Scrivener's "Learning Teaching". If you're in a big city you may be able to flick thro' them at the bookshop otherwise Amazon is your friend. There is no "right" book, pisk the one you like the look of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 A.Blinkin

Hi guys,

Sorry if I'm reiterating what other people have said but I could really use your opinions. I have a full-time job and don't drive.

I was just about to book a part-time course here but it will be really intensive.
    This course starts in January and is €850. It is 6pm to 9:15pm every week day, and all day Saturday for a month. This means I would be leaving the house at 7:30am and getting home at 10pm every week day and working Saturdays as well. Can I realistically keep up this pace while doing successfully in my course?

My alternate option is here.
    This CELTA course is €1595. Is it really worth the extra €750 to have a CELTA qualification over a CELT?

I was confident last night I would pick the first option as all other 3 month courses took up your entire weekend but then I found this CELTA course. Can you advise if there would be an advantage to finishing in February in terms of semesters.

I assume if I was working in Europe I would have to wait until September to start anyway. Can anyone advise on Asian semesters e.g. Korea, Thailand, etc.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm incapable of making decisions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

A.Blinkin wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry if I'm reiterating what other people have said but I could really use your opinions. I have a full-time job and don't drive.

I was just about to book a part-time course here but it will be really intensive.
    This course starts in January and is €850. It is 6pm to 9:15pm every week day, and all day Saturday for a month. This means I would be leaving the house at 7:30am and getting home at 10pm every week day and working Saturdays as well. Can I realistically keep up this pace while doing successfully in my course?

That would be really tough. I did the full time course and found it very hard. You have a lot of homework and preparation on top of the course hours, so you could be working long after 10pm also.
    My alternate option is here.
    This CELTA course is €1595. Is it really worth the extra €750 to have a CELTA qualification over a CELT?

People will tell you that but personally I've never had a problem finding work the CELT. I'm in London now and the schools seems to consider it the same thing. I don't know if I ever missed out on an interview because of not having it, but I've gotten a good bit of work out of the CELT.
    I was confident last night I would pick the first option as all other 3 month courses took up your entire weekend but then I found this CELTA course. Can you advise if there would be an advantage to finishing in February in terms of semesters.

I assume if I was working in Europe I would have to wait until September to start anyway. Can anyone advise on Asian semesters e.g. Korea, Thailand, etc.

It depends where you want to teach, in a public school, in a private school, in businesses...? I was told to go over to the continent in September, but I did my course in September so obviously I couldn't. I went in February and I found a lot of freelance work. For Korea, I know you can go any time at all, they are always recruiting. It's almost impossible NOT to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 carmo85

Hello there.
    Sorry for jumping in off key but I am planning to do a TEFL course in Limerick next month. I then plan on travelling to either South America, Thailand or Prague to teach English. However, I plan on the possibility of doing a masters in Ireland in Sept 2010. If anyone has relevant experience, do you think I stand a chance of getting a 6 month placement? What's the story with breaking contracts? I mean I know it's bad form but ultimately it may need to be done. If I was doing a temp job in Ireland I wouldn’t be overly concerned about prematurely breaking the contract but maybe it's a complete different story in these countries.

Any help would be great. Thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Whats the best choice for me?

I'm saving away to travel next March to go to Asia (Japan, S.Korea, China), or I may do a course perhaps in TEFL (say the weekend course, w/100+ hrs online)...before hand and teach over in one of these countries for a duration of 3mths.

Is TEFL my best option?

I don't think the other courses would suit because I don't need them as I will not be intending to teach english in Ireland in the future (for any universities/schools, etc)...plus it's costly.

I'm basically looking for a reasonable priced but well-equipped course that I could use for heading to one of these countries on a 3mth contract or less.

I've got my degree also, can't remember any other requirements...22yrs old also...living in Ireland for that time (speaking english)...so, also if there's any other requirements, please point them out, thanks!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

I passed my interview for a celta course. I thought it was too expensive and had considered going to Australia instead, but I have just found out that I will get financial aid which will ease the blow to my pocket.

I tried to get into the November course back in late August but it was full up, and the next one starts in January. I heard that South America employs teachers in March, but it seems to be very difficult to get visas in those areas (especially in Brazil), and to be honest I would rather go somewhere a bit closer to home.

I wanted to go somewhere in Spain, preferably Madrid or Barcelona, but it looks like most of the recruitment is done in September and January. Is February too late?

Does anymore know any other places in the world that employs teachers in February??

Thanks (I started up a tread with this query but didn't get any replies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 A.Blinkin

May I ask where you applied to get financial aid, as the CELTA course I applied for is beyond my budget, and I was going to go for the CELT one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

A.Blinkin wrote: »
    May I ask where you applied to get financial aid, as the CELTA course I applied for is beyond my budget, and I was going to go for the CELT one instead.

My local Fas office. They are willing to pay for some of it. Iv'e been unemployed for awhile now, I don't know if you would get financial support if you were working, you could always try your luck. I was initially going to go for a celt myself, but since I don't have a degree, I wouldn't of got a proper certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HappyCarrot

jacintha wrote: »

Worried girl!!!!

Jacintha, I can understand exactly how you feel. I returned from years of living abroad about 4 years ago and, after some thought, in my early 40s, I started down the TEFL route. The initial reason was to perhaps do some more travelling in a few years but, much to my surprise, I discovered I loved teaching and eventually decided to pack in my boring office job and try to teach full time.

I did one of the much maligned i-to-i courses (80 hours in total) and can say that even though it doesn't cover as much as a CELT or CELTA course it did give me a good grounding in how to teach English to non-native speakers. I was fortunate, on completion of this course, to get a voluntary position teaching EFL for the local VEC. This meant I got the practice teaching that the course didn't include. It was absolutely terrifying at first but I soon settled down and got more confident about standing in front of a class. I can't recommend voluntary teaching highly enough for enabling you to gain experience and confidence. If you have time after your course it would pay dividends for your career to get some practice this way. You'll meet some amazing people along the way too.

I hope it works out for you. Don't be too scared :) The study skills will come back too although it'll be an uphill struggle at times (I''m still struggling!), But, believe me, it'll all be worthwhile in the end. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 carmo85

I think you would do well with TEFL as they would prob set you up with a ob themselves. However, Asia (maybe excl. Japan) is prob the only place in the world where the demand for English speakers outweighs it's supply. You also have a degree and this goes a long way over there. I would start looking for English language schools in whatever country you are looking at and send some emails asking for work.

The best place for you right now, is daves esl café. It's a teerrific website with loads of information on teaching in nearly ewvery country in the world. I will be doing a TEFL in December but only because I want to get a job in Madrid for 6 months to tie me over until September. Ideally, a CELTA or Trinity would be preferred for this but I do not have the funds, not do I want to do this as a career.

Hope this helps.

carmo85 wrote: »
    I think you would do well with TEFL as they would prob set you up with a ob themselves. However, Asia (maybe excl. Japan) is prob the only place in the world where the demand for English speakers outweighs it's supply. You also have a degree and this goes a long way over there. I would start looking for English language schools in whatever country you are looking at and send some emails asking for work.

The best place for you right now, is daves esl café. It's a teerrific website with loads of information on teaching in nearly ewvery country in the world. I will be doing a TEFL in December but only because I want to get a job in Madrid for 6 months to tie me over until September. Ideally, a CELTA or Trinity would be preferred for this but I do not have the funds, not do I want to do this as a career.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm just wondering whether this weekend course thing would be ok or a four week course is more beneficial?

If I do a four week course, I may leave my current job after the Christmas period and do the course in Jan if available.

But If the weekend courses are adequate, I can continue with my job right up to the end of say, February and have money saved away plus have a job to fall into for abroad :D

What's this about Trinity? This an organisation or are you talking about the college?

Anybody else got thoughts on what I should do?

I've got the experience of speaking to others through presentations in class and have even spoke infront of the lecturers and students when speaking about my 'work' (art work), so I've gained some confidence through that generally. But I don't wanna do a 'hey! I'm gonna run off to Asia and teach English w/o a TEFL course or watever under me sleeve!'. I'd rather have a security blanket, you know?

My sister also teaches History and Religion over in Essex and whenever she's over during the Christmas period, I could get some advice off her. Her and her lesson plans and the like. When she was studying in her teaching course I'd see her get very active in creating up ways to be very interactive with her school kids, and this is what I like.

When I was in college, I seemed to become the non-paid techy for alotta peeps, sometimes I didn't care, sometimes I got irritated...but in the end It was helpful for both the learner and the teacher. My close friend from college would sometimes struggle about with some video editing stuff or when we were doing web design, and I'd give him analogies so he'd understand the technical writings behind it. I'd sometimes act them out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Oceanfeliz

Hi Kevin Dublin

Do you know where I could access information about the number of Irish English Language schools in Ireland please? I friend told me that many of these schools are closing down.Is this true?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

hey guys some good advice on this thread. But i'm just wondering is there any financial aid or anyway of availing of any of these CELT courses through the department of education itself? i heard that in some schools the teachers got to do tefl courses for free!!

red_bairn wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just wondering whether this weekend course thing would be ok or a four week course is more beneficial?

If I do a four week course, I may leave my current job after the Christmas period and do the course in Jan if available.

But If the weekend courses are adequate, I can continue with my job right up to the end of say, February and have money saved away plus have a job to fall into for abroad :D

What's this about Trinity? This an organisation or are you talking about the college?

Anybody else got thoughts on what I should do?

I've got the experience of speaking to others through presentations in class and have even spoke infront of the lecturers and students when speaking about my 'work' (art work), so I've gained some confidence through that generally. But I don't wanna do a 'hey! I'm gonna run off to Asia and teach English w/o a TEFL course or watever under me sleeve!'. I'd rather have a security blanket, you know?

My sister also teaches History and Religion over in Essex and whenever she's over during the Christmas period, I could get some advice off her. Her and her lesson plans and the like. When she was studying in her teaching course I'd see her get very active in creating up ways to be very interactive with her school kids, and this is what I like.

When I was in college, I seemed to become the non-paid techy for alotta peeps, sometimes I didn't care, sometimes I got irritated...but in the end It was helpful for both the learner and the teacher. My close friend from college would sometimes struggle about with some video editing stuff or when we were doing web design, and I'd give him analogies so he'd understand the technical writings behind it. I'd sometimes act them out. :D

Any help on this much appreciated.

I was also looking at the JET Programme set up in Japan, but it closing date for applications was yesterday, nonetheless, the programme is for a contracted full year...

I would love to find something like their ALT's programme elsewhere If possible. If not, I may have to do the TEFL course soon.

I need to make a decision of the next few weeks.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Any help on this much appreciated.

I was also looking at the JET Programme set up in Japan, but it closing date for applications was yesterday, nonetheless, the programme is for a contracted full year...

I would love to find something like their ALT's programme elsewhere If possible. If not, I may have to do the TEFL course soon.

I need to make a decision of the next few weeks.

:(

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laser750

Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to do the CELT course anywhere near Waterford? I want to enroll in a course but would rather not have to travel to Dublin/Galway for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Hi all,

is there anywhere I can do a celta in Kerry or abroad where it wont cost be an arm and a leg. I was looking at http://www.oxfordtefl.com/ but that is 4-week TESOL courses and in Spain cost 1450 and a further 400 for accom. Is there anywhere I can this for cheaper or will I be able to get some assistance from Fas?

Thanks for any replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

International House offers a 4-week CELTA course in Krakow, Poland at 897.40 Euro, with accommodation at roughly 250 Euro (though if you look for short term accommodation on your own you'll find much cheaper places of equal standard)

http://www.ih.pl/international-house-krakow.php?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

madziuda wrote: »
    International House offers a 4-week CELTA course in Krakow, Poland at 897.40 Euro, with accommodation at roughly 250 Euro (though if you look for short term accommodation on your own you'll find much cheaper places of equal standard)

http://www.ih.pl/international-house-krakow.php?m=1

Thanks for that. Thats more like the price I would pay, has anyone been at it or can recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

laser750 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to do the CELT course anywhere near Waterford? I want to enroll in a course but would rather not have to travel to Dublin/Galway for it:)

Hi Laser750

Did you find out in the end in there are any courses near Waterford? Last time I checked it was mainly Dublin also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

laser750 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi Laser750

Did you find out in the end in there are any courses near Waterford? Last time I checked it was mainly Dublin also

Every officially sanctioned Department of Education ACELS CELT course in Ireland can be found on this very handy map on the ACELS homepage:

http://www.acels.ie/search.htm

A click on the 'W', for instance, reveals that a CELT course is running in:

Name: Waterford English Language Centres
    Address: 31 John's Hill, Waterford. Co. Waterford
    Tel: 051 877288
    Fax: 051 854603
    Contacts: Bridget Behal, Benedict Behal

There is also an ACELS CELT course running in:

Name: EFL-Ireland
    Address: 29 Fisherman's Grove, Dunmore East, Co. Waterford
    Tel: 051 347483
    Fax: 051 385483