Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone use those e-scooters?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

some one just died on one in meath
    don't work well well in rain

some go on fire
    https://nypost.com/video/electric-scooter-overheats-shooting-off-30-balls-of-fire/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    some one just died on one in meath
    don't work well well in rain

some go on fire
    https://nypost.com/video/electric-scooter-overheats-shooting-off-30-balls-of-fire/

Tbf people die on all methods of private transportation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

If and it’s a massive if they get regulated and policed then they’re not a bad option but as it is right now with nobody wearing helmets and users ****ing flying about on road and pavements it’s a complete disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As someone who cycles a bit i think they're great. Anything that takes cars off the road should be encouraged. From my experience they just seem to be used on the roads responsibly, normal people going to work etc.

I'd prefer people bought electric bicycles, they're safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I can't imagine any of those things are necessary, are they?

They most certainly are. Anything that moves under power without physical human input is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle. I looked into it and bought an electrically assisted bike instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If and it’s a massive if they get regulated and policed then they’re not a bad option but as it is right now with nobody wearing helmets and users ****ing flying about on road and pavements it’s a complete disaster waiting to happen.

Unlike motorists, who are an actual disaster happening every day on our roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I was in Vienna last summer and they were everywhere.

The less cars on the streets the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’d feel like a bit of a wally going around on one, to be fair.

It’s like a mini mobility scooter.

Unlike motorists, who are an actual disaster happening every day on our roads.

Motor cars are without question dangerous but they’re regulated.

Scooters should be taxed, insured, kept on the road and users should be wearing helmets.

If not they should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Their use needs to be encouraged in urban areas but avoided on rural roads.

I think the issues around tax/insurance could be waived but their introduction would need to be don’t while introducing measures to reduce cars in these areas
    Probably by introducing congestion charges.

They work in European cities So no reason they can’t work here.

My personal preference would be a bicycle but we need to facilitate a range of transport methods.

_Brian wrote: »
    Their use needs to be encouraged in urban areas but avoided on rural roads.

I think the issues around tax/insurance could be waived but their introduction would need to be don’t while introducing measures to reduce cars in these areas
    Probably by introducing congestion charges.

They work in European cities So no reason they can’t work here.

My personal preference would be a bicycle but we need to facilitate a range of transport methods.

How can you waive the need for tax and insurance on a motorised vehicle??

As for congestion charges, it’ll never happen. No politician in power will want the backlash from the horde of daily motorists going city centre bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Speak for yourself.

Oh yes and hated by the law too.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

seamus wrote: »
    10k is nothing on a bicycle. 30 minutes at a very sedate pace.

e-scooters are fine and any alternative to the car should be promoted. The lack of official regulation around them and the appalling behaviour of their users is fast making them the most hated road user though.

Have to agree. Scooters should be allowed but strictly controlled in terms of speed. Guy I work with came off one and broke his arm, so the dangers are real. Bright clothing and lights are essential especially coming into the winter months. Plus, and this is no doubt set the cat amongst the pigeons but I would advise scooter users to wear a helmet, because you are going to take a spill at some point.

I think ebikes need to be regulated too, more particularly these deliveroo cyclists who have converted their regular bikes to ebikes by attaching a battery pack and electric propulsion mechanism in either one of the wheels. This diy set up is so dangerous because the bikes were not designed for these forces and braking at such high speeds.

Regulation badly needed for escooters and ebikes.

reg114 wrote: »
    Have to agree. Scooters should be allowed but strictly controlled in terms of speed. Guy I work with came off one and broke his arm, so the dangers are real. Bright clothing and lights are essential especially coming into the winter months. Plus, and this is no doubt set the cat amongst the pigeons but I would advise scooter users to wear a helmet, because you are going to take a spill at some point.

I think ebikes need to be regulated too, more particularly these deliveroo cyclists who have converted their regular bikes to ebikes by attaching a battery pack and electric propulsion mechanism in either one of the wheels. This diy set up is so dangerous because the bikes were not designed for these forces and braking at such high speeds.

Regulation and more importantly enforcement.

Unfortunately I reckon we’ll get neither, particularly enforcement, until there’s a few more deaths or serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

reg114 wrote: »
    ebikes are already very effectively regulated. The motor can only kick in while pedalling and must cut out above 25km/h. Anything which doesn't abide by this is legally a motorbike.

The problem you describe is around enforcement and the fact that the Gardai can't be arsed pulling them over and taking the bikes.

escooters are a slightly different issue. I think if you were following the letter of EU law they would similarly be classed as motorcycles, but as they offer a low-impact mode of transport for people who may not be able to cycle, their use should be encouraged through clear regulation. Such as limiting them to 25km/h and mandating the use of lights.

Tax & insurance wouldn't be necessary in this case, which would help drive uptake of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is there any reason to use one of these over a bicycle other than the gimmick of them? I would imagine most folks are traveling distances that you could easily cycle.

I cycle a lot myself and have found e-scooters to be pretty dangerous on cycle tracks - they come out of nowhere to overtake you and there's not much of a noise out of them at all, so no real warning.

Had one whizz by and scare the absolute bejasus out of me during the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Motor cars are without question dangerous but they’re regulated.

Scooters should be taxed, insured, kept on the road and users should be wearing helmets.

If not they should be banned.

That's just like, your opinion man.

Should kids push scooters be insured also?

The whole idea of e-scooters is ease of use, just like a bike, skip all that regulatory headache.

The problem is inner city infrastructure is organized completely in favour of the car - it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Speak for yourself, and what appalling behaviour? I've never heard of them harming anyone (apart from that incident the other night) or witnessed it myself.

They are mechanically propelled vehicles, and as such should be roadworthy like any motorcycle - lights, indicators, etc. They are not. Their users should be competent, licensed riders and road-users. They are not. The wretched things are a lethal menace in their current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How can you waive the need for tax and insurance on a motorised vehicle??

As for congestion charges, it’ll never happen. No politician in power will want the backlash from the horde of daily motorists going city centre bound.

It's motorised yes, but very differently to a car. So should fall under a different category.
    E-bikes are motorised as well with a tiny motor in the wheel and are also correctly not taxed.

What's the obsession with taxing vehicles?

Cars are taxed for polluting the atmosphere which neither bicycles or scooters do.

As for insurance, if a cyclists or person on a scooter has a collision they'll come off the worst and will not cause major damage to objects around them so what do they need to be insured for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's just like, your opinion man.

Should kids push scooters be insured also?

They don't have an engine or motor and they don't travel up to 15 kph or faster. But you knew this.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's motorised yes, but very differently to a car. So should fall under a different category.
    E-bikes are motorised as well with a tiny motor in the wheel and are also correctly not taxed.

What's the obsession with taxing vehicles?

Cars are taxed for polluting the atmosphere which neither bicycles or scooters do.

As for insurance, if a cyclists or person on a scooter has a collision they'll come off the worst and will not cause major damage to objects around them so what do they need to be insured for?

Motor vehicles are taxed for the use of the road. Electric cars are taxed at 120 Euro per annum. Motor tax and VRT rates are lower for electric vehicles to encourage their uptake, largely for environmental reasons, but that is not the same thing.

A mechanically propelled vehicle, such as an E-bike, can do a mint of damage on hitting a pedestrian or another person on some sort of bicycle at 40-odd km/h, and so most definitely need to be insured. If I had my way push-bikes would require insurance (and some sort of variant of the driver theory test) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Speak for yourself, and what appalling behaviour? I've never heard of them harming anyone (apart from that incident the other night) or witnessed it myself.

They honestly seem to have less regard for traffic laws than even some cyclists. I regularly see them ignoring red lights at a far higher rate than cyclists.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

jimgoose wrote: »
    Motor vehicles are taxed for the use of the road. Electric cars are are taxed at 120 Euro per annum. Motor tax and VRT rates are lower for electric vehicles to encourage their uptake, largely for environmental reasons, but that is not the same thing.

A mechanically propelled vehicle, such as an E-bike, can do a mint of damage on hitting a pedestrian or another person on some sort of bicycle at 40-odd km/h, and so most definitely need to be insured.
    If I had my way push-bikes would require insurance (and some sort of variant of the driver theory test) as well.

They already do. Any automatic E Bike needs to be insured, as does any E Bike that goes beyond 25kph. I really don't understand why the same rules don't apply to E Scooters.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    They already do. Any automatic E Bike needs to be insured, as does any E Bike that goes beyond 25kph. I really don't understand why the same rules don't apply to E Scooters.

Me neither. "E-scooter" I meant to say, sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do they only work if you wear all black on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yes there was a guy killed on one the other night. Was also talking to a lad from Blanch last week who bought one for commuting to Lucan on. Proudly told me it would do 45 km/h.

I have never seen one of these things do 45kmh. Are you sure he wasn't talking about one of these instead?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSY6RRtzMqAfRmfTwYSgSYxey7a-EnjkkeNQQ&usqp=CAU

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jimgoose wrote: »
    Motor vehicles are taxed for the use of the road. Electric cars are taxed at 120 Euro per annum. Motor tax and VRT rates are lower for electric vehicles to encourage their uptake, largely for environmental reasons, but that is not the same thing.

A mechanically propelled vehicle, such as an E-bike, can do a mint of damage on hitting a pedestrian or another person on some sort of bicycle at 40-odd km/h, and so most definitely need to be insured. If I had my way push-bikes would require insurance (and some sort of variant of the driver theory test) as well.

Motor tax applies to some vehicles and not all so I don't see the need to tax them.

As for insurance, I appreciate that a cyclist can damage a pedestrian but they would minimum damage to a car or truck and infrastructure.

The number of incidents of pedesrian being seriously injured by a cyclist is small and would not warrant a blanket requirement for insurance for all cyclists.
    I think it's just sour grapes by motorists to be honest and a failure to acknowledge that the most dangerous , damaging and polluting vehicles on the roads are cars and trucks and that's why they pay tax and require proper insurance.

Rules of the road should be taught in school by the way. That and other practical things should be added to the curriculum instead of religion but that's another debate.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is there any reason to use one of these over a bicycle other than the gimmick of them? I would imagine most folks are traveling distances that you could easily cycle.
    For the most part, yes. But for many people the thought of cycling even 20 minutes is too much. They'd rather spend 40 minutes on a bus or in the car.

You also have people who are genuinely not able to use a bike, and you have other concerns such as showering, makeup, etc.

My personal opinion is that aside from being disabled, all of the above are just lazy excuses for not cycling, but at the same time I am supportive of all measures that remove private cars from the road. So if 20 minutes on an e-scooter is the way to get them out of the car, then it has the thumbs up from me.

A small bit of focus from the department of transport on this could not only bring some behaviour and legislative improvements in the area, but would also promote them as a form of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

To people asking the benefits of these;

You can take them on the bus, luas and train (and on the train they don't need booking like a bike does), so they make excellent last mile personal transport devices, and encourage public transport uptake.

You can arrive in to Heuston and immediately set off for your work place and get there sweat free, amazing.

They are socially distancing.

They are green.

They take up less road space than a car.

They are quiet.

They fit under your desk at work, no need to park it outside.

They go at the same speed as cyclists do and take up the same road space - in fact there is legislation in the making to include them on cycling/ebikes legislatory documents.

Advertisement