Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wearing a white Poppy

Comments

Treppen wrote: »
    I for one think this is a good compromise.

This is Ireland. No compromise, no poppy.

Graces7 wrote: »
    No it isn't; it was always de rigueur from my long ago UK childhood onwards …

and many Irish men served in the War.

Each and every one of them a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

What about the easter lily

The Easter Lily (Irish: Lile na Cásca) is a badge in the shape of a calla lily flower, worn at Easter by Irish republicans as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Graces7 wrote: »
    Disagree. The remembering has been now given to all who died in all wars. There is no morality in death in war, and the white is simply for peace which the entire world aches for. Absence of war. Absence of blood.

Many of my generation lost close relatives in World War 2. The Memorial Services were deeply meaningful and moving.. Nationalism played a small role.
    white would mean coward in the old days

bobbyy gee wrote: »

The Easter Lily (Irish: Lile na Cásca) is a badge in the shape of a calla lily flower, worn at Easter by Irish republicans as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising.

Definitely. Such a shame more don’t, but it’s just a reflection on modern life and what we’ve become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Del2005 wrote: »
    Very few people have any issues with the Irish who died in the world wars. What people have an issue with is the Red poppy commemorates all UK soldiers from all their wars and they weren't the good guys in the majority of them.
    The empire was still in being during both wars. It could be argued that those who served in the military were, indirectly, helping to maintain that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭corner of hells

bobbyy gee wrote: »

What was the Easter Rising ? And why was it at quarter past 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This is Ireland. No compromise, no poppy.

You don't really get a choice in that.

You don't really get a choice in that.

On a personal level I do as I won’t tolerate anyone sporting one.

You see someone wearing one in a shop or on the Street, what are you going to do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

When if it's not red?

You see someone wearing one in a shop or on the Street, what are you going to do about it?

Remove it. They have no place in Ireland.

Yeah right :pac:

You would physically assault someone on the street for wearing a poppy?

Love you internet tough guys :pac:

Yeah right :pac:

You would physically assault someone on the street for wearing a poppy?

Love you internet tough guys :pac:

OK, whatever.

They’re a filthy insulting thing to wear in this state so (whatever you’re prissily calling assault) would be warranted. The equivalent to handing out swastika badges in England.

OK, whatever.

They’re a filthy insulting thing to wear in this state so (whatever you’re prissily calling assault) would be warranted. The equivalent to handing out swastika badges in England.

I wore one every year in Ireland for over 30 years and never a word was said to me. You are definitely in the minority. Not a chance you would touch anyone, you might give them a dirty look or tut tut in disgust but not a chance would you approach anyone and try remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

tenor.gif?itemid=3579864

I wore one every year in Ireland for over 30 years and never a word was said to me. You are definitely in the minority. Not a chance you would touch anyone, you might give them a dirty look or tut tut in disgust but not a chance would you approach anyone and try remove it.

Grand so. You’re absolute scum for wearing one in this country, it’s a shame on people here that you were let.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Treppen wrote: »
    I for one think this is a good compromise.

It still has the nasty associations of the normal poppy.

Grand so. You’re absolute scum for wearing one in this country, it’s a shame on people here that you were let.

Thats your opinion, people like my grandfathers fought/got injured and died in wars so that people like you could have this opinion.

I have always worn one, I will always wear one and if people like you ever have an issue with that then please feel free to approach me about it, I know you never will but the options are always there.

Thats your opinion, people like my grandfathers fought/got injured and died in wars so that people like you could have this opinion.

I have always worn one, I will always wear one and if people like you ever have an issue with that then please feel free to approach me about it, I know you never will but the options are always there.

Then go to wherever they fought for and wear the sign of the butcher. Don’t sport it around one of your victims.

• Advertisement

Then go to wherever they fought for and wear the sign of the butcher. Don’t sport it around one of your victims.

I'll wear it wherever I want, as I said no one has ever had an issue with it before and I doubt anyone will have an issue with it future.

I would love to be there you smugly meet the right person. It’s a filthy thing to sneer at your victims with.

I would love to be there you smugly meet the right person. It’s a filthy thing to sneer at your victims with.

I wore one for 35 years in Ireland, never met a single person who had an issue. Maybe its hard for you to admit but you are in the tiniest of minorities. Let go of the hatred in your heart, its really not good for you.

I wore one for 35 years in Ireland, never met a single person who had an issue. Maybe its hard for you to admit but you are in the tiniest of minorities. Let go of the hatred in your heart, its really not good for you.

Anyone who met you should be ashamed but I’d say it’s more a case of you wearing it **** all in public even though you’re acting the big fella here. There’s enough would take it off you instantly, I wouldn’t lose all hope for our people just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol.
    Internet big man.

Lol.
    Internet big man.

Yeah, read on a bit. We’ve gone through all this, as much as you think you’re all witty right now.

Anyone who met you should be ashamed but I’d say it’s more a case of you wearing it **** all in public even though you’re acting the big fella here. There’s enough would take it off you instantly, I wouldn’t lose all hope for our people just yet.

Nope, you're wrong and you can check back on Many of the poppy threads. Made no secret of the fact I wear one. Have even had lads like yourself threaten to "rip it off" if they met me.

Told them where I would be and when (usually a coffee shop on my break where I went every day) and surprisingly not a one ever showed up and followed through on their silly threats.

I wouldn’t believe you’re wearing it out much in public at all, no more than you believe I’d take it off you.

You still should be absolutely ashamed of yourself for wearing such a vulgar symbol in a victim state though. Inhuman behaviour.

I wouldn’t believe you’re wearing it out much in public at all, no more than you believe I’d take it off you.

You still should be absolutely ashamed of yourself for wearing such a vulgar symbol in a victim state though. Inhuman behaviour.

As I said, look at the previous poppy threads, I'm sure I've even posted pictures. The fact is a tiny minor of angry folk like yourself care, no one else does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah, read on a bit. We’ve gone through all this, as much as you think you’re all witty right now.

You're actually the one who's a right laugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement