Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Grandeeod wrote: »
    After a stressful day at school (Ms G) the real hero that she is, it's great to welcome her back everyday after wearing a mask for most the day and five days a week. She folds her uniform, does the homework and then I make sure she has a decent dinner. Tonight it was loin of pork, mash and gravy with garden peas and carrots.. Mrs G had the same.

I'm having the second Hereford Striploin tonight and serving it up with chips and pepper sauce in a mo. A movie and peace time. Considering how this bastard virus has affected the house, I'm happy enough.

Fair play to you Grandeeod, you’re a lucky man that appreciates it.

Same here, we have a son that doesn’t complain one bit about the restrictions he has had to adjust to since going back to school. It can’t be easy for them and they are inspirational in the way they cope with things and don’t complain.

Shout out to the teachers too, very stressful work in these times.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Honey?

Well I guess maple syrup does go with bacon, so...

I picked up a beef stroganoff (premade) from tesco earlier, because I'm lazy. Going to make basmati rice and sugar snaps to go with it.

Those Tesco stroganoff are the bomb.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I picked all day,had had crusty roll after work with ham,grated cheese, cherry tomatoes and sweet chilli sauce ( loads of butter of course) with Tayto bistro crisps, just had a bowl of honey nut loops with freezing cold milk before hitting the leaba.

Can anyone recommend rice that is similar to fried rice from the Chinese or would I have to make it myself, looking for something that you could just put in the microwave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can anyone recommend rice that is similar to fried rice from the Chinese or would I have to make it myself, looking for something that you could just put in the microwave.

I tried the microwavable fried rice from Aldi, and I think there should be a lawsuit.

You're better off keeping some rice in the fridge overnight, and some simple ingredients will give you a decent 5 minute fried rice. (never use freshly cooked rice!)

There was a fried rice discussion recently, perhaps in this thread? If you need ingredient inspiration.

I tried the microwavable fried rice from Aldi, and I think there should be a lawsuit.

You're better off keeping some rice in the fridge overnight, and some simple ingredients will give you a decent 5 minute fried rice. (never use freshly cooked rice!)

There was a fried rice discussion recently, perhaps in this thread? If you need ingredient inspiration.

I buy the microwave packs from Aldi but I've never seen a fried option, my lot like the different varieties but they always get fried if we get a Chinese. I'll try and find where it was discussed here,thanks.

• Advertisement

I buy the microwave packs from Aldi but I've never seen a fried option, my lot like the different varieties but they always get fried if we get a Chinese. I'll try and find where it was discussed here,thanks.

It may have been on this thread though.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057665151/364/#post114466081

Someone mentioned sesame oil as an ingredient. I would agree.

My own suggestion also would be to invest in a bottle of Clearspring tamari. It's soy sauce basically, but lovely flavour.

I wouldn't be afraid to use a little msg either!

Don't buy the Aldi fried rice pouch, it is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Pan fried haddock with garden peas, spinach, rocket, chillies, poached eggs, cheddar and parmesan cheese with sumac yougurt and a rake load of lemon and spices. Yummy...need a new phone, the camera won't work so you'll just have to believe me that it looks daammmm good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Red bull and Doritos, they say Rome wasn't built in a day but if they tried Red Bull and Doritos I think they would have come close!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Those Tesco stroganoff are the bomb.

I love stroganoff. Where in Tesco's are they? Is there a decent amout of meat in it?

I have never ever come across a pre-packed fried rice that matches the Chinese takeaway. If you want to cook it DD, you need to boil the rice, let it go cold, oil in Wok, add cold rice, stir/pat like mad to make sure the lumpy bits are gone, add light soy sauce and salt for taste and colour. If you want egg fried rice, there's even more to it. For the sake of 2.40 odd, I'd collect it from the local. I get two days out of a portion if its just for me.

I love stroganoff. Where in Tesco's are they? Is there a decent amout of meat in it?

I have never ever come across a pre-packed fried rice that matches the Chinese takeaway. If you want to cook it DD, you need to boil the rice, let it go cold, oil in Wok, add cold rice, stir/pat like mad to make sure the lumpy bits are gone, add light soy sauce and salt for taste and colour. If you want egg fried rice, there's even more to it. For the sake of 2.40 odd, I'd collect it from the local. I get two days out of a portion if its just for me.

In Killarney they are at the end of the ready meal aisle that faces the butcher/deli counter, I don't know about other shops but they probably all have the same layout. From memory I think they are 600grams and less than a fiver, there is no shortage of beef in them.

I'll be getting another couple tomorrow, savage value and a dish neither of us can master at home. I like it with the Aldi or Lidl pouch of fried rice, a lazy decent meal.

Just had a homemade venison bacon cheeseburger in a brioche bun with chips and peas. Out of this world, can't even think about dessert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Had a Beef Chilli with Rice and Nachos. Have a few cans of stella now.

Wednesday night beers and fast food afterwards, except it's at home and all from Aldi!

Beers are the usual, but I'm experimenting with a chicken jalfrezi and pilau rice that cost 2.50.:eek: Also bought triple cooked beef dripping chips to have on the side. I'm hoping it works out because the price is amazing and I'd stock up for emergencies.

The ladies had chicken maryland. Ms G with gravy and chunky chips. Mrs G with sweet chili sauce, side salad and wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Chips N' Mayo with a nice tin of Coca Cola.

Wednesday night beers and fast food afterwards, except it's at home and all from Aldi!

Beers are the usual, but I'm experimenting with a chicken jalfrezi and pilau rice that cost 2.50.:eek: Also bought triple cooked beef dripping chips to have on the side. I'm hoping it works out because the price is amazing and I'd stock up for emergencies.

The ladies had chicken maryland. Ms G with gravy and chunky chips. Mrs G with sweet chili sauce, side salad and wedges.

I had those chips out of the oven about two weeks ago and they are the best frozen chips I ever tasted, 1.49 a bag I think they were.

Got my strogonoff today in Tesco (4.50) and had it with the baby potatoes that were on offer at the weekend for 50 cents a kilo.

Potatoes were boiled then crushed with homemade garlic butter added before being lashed into the oven.

Where would you be going for a fiver?

Washed down with a bottle of O Hara's Leann Folláin, take me now Lord.

Jaysus that Stroganoff looks great. I'm lining it up for Friday with Potato gratin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Lasagne and garlic bread :)

Jaysus that Stroganoff looks great. I'm lining it up for Friday with Potato gratin.

It's unreal, what I call a good soupy dinner and it is top quality.

There was a place in Kenmare charging 29.95 and getting it for half that portion size of a Beef Guinness stew before March this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Settled on rashers , sausages and egg , with left over mash fried up in the pan , with a dollop of brown sauce on the side .
    (Fried potato = brown sauce !)

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Settled on rashers , sausages and egg , with left over mash fried up in the pan , with a dollop of brown sauce on the side .
    (Fried potato = brown sauce !)

You just went to Def Con 4 with that grub Mam! I can actually visualize it.

Was going to make a chicken curry, with all the ready made prep pack from Hari Ghotra, but can't be arsed now.

It'll be fish and rice with peas.

The Chef had shepherd's pie :)

• Advertisement

You just went to Def Con 4 with that grub Mam! I can actually visualize it.

Very seldom I have it G but it was perfect , the brown sauce is the perfect addition to it !

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    left over mash fried up in the pan

Good Mam!

I cannot emphasise how good this is.
    Leftovers are the bestovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Chicken Maryland, veg and a bit of a side salad, very nice it was too.

Good Mam!

I cannot emphasise how good this is.
    Leftovers are the bestovers.

Not much goes to waste here igCorcaigh , it gets used up in some shape or form !

Waste not, want not.

Well lads! That Chicken Jalfrezi and Pilau rice combined with the beef dripping chips from Aldi was an absolute bang on experience. A nice kick from the Curry too. As RG said those chips were top notch. I did them in the Airfryer. Feckin hell!

8 out of 10 from me. A great last min/emergency meal, but the beef dripping chips are defo goin on the every week list!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Autosport wrote: »
    Lasagne and garlic bread :)

Stocked up on some ready meals (i know) for the freezer and lots and lots of garlic bread! I can't wait :pac:

Barry's and sugary donuts for me. Might try the Bonne Maman salted caramel sauce i picked up the other day on the side :D For dipping like, be rude not to!

Had a roast breast of chicken stuffed with cheddar and wrapped in bacon with mash, peas, carrots and peppercorn sauce. Not too shabby at all for something that cost about 2 euro in total.

Had a roast breast of chicken stuffed with cheddar and wrapped in bacon with mash, peas, carrots and peppercorn sauce. Not too shabby at all for something that cost about 2 euro in total.

My local Tesco had no Stroganoff left today. Fookers!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Had breast of chicken with wholemeal pasta and tomato and basil sauce. Few cans now.

Advertisement