Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

• 03-01-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

With the ongoing settled weather into the new year, hope everyone gets to play a bit while the going is good!

I played the Tuesday winter series in Portmarnock Links on New Years Day and managed a 71 gross off 1.

Obviously thrilled to finally shoot a decent number in an event Ive tried to play whenever Iv been free to do so. Course is in consistently excellent condition and the weather was idyllic for the middle of winter.

Round itself was a bit of a rollercoaster. I got off to a fast start with birdies on 2 and 4. Made a poor bogey on the long par 4 5th after a great drive, but made good pars on 6, 7 and 8 before hitting an 8 iron to 6 feet on the 9th to turn in -2.

10 was v disappointing. Ripped a 3 wood off the tee but wind just nudged it into a fairway bunker and could only go out sideways. Then made a cardinal error with my 3rd shot, knocking it over the back of the elavated green. I had no 4th shot really and did reasonably well just to finally get on the green; 2 putts later meant a 6 and back to level par.

Bounced back well though. Hit a great shot to the par 3 11th, although the putt didnt drop. Made a huge one for par from 7 ft on the index 1 12th hole however, then birdied the par 5 13th after hitting two shots pin high. I proceeded to hit a wedge to 2 feet on 14 to get back to -2, before my second disaster of the day unfolded on 15.

Back into the wind, which was picking up a little at this stage, I hit a gammy but straight drive on the fairway. I pushed a rescue for my 2nd but missed in a good spot, leaving a straightforward chip and run...which I bladed through the green into cabbage. Had a swipe at the next one and moved it about a foot. Then bladed number 5 back over the green, almost where Id started. Fairly disconsolate at this point as you can imagine, I finally managed to get one of my grooves on the ball with stroke #6... and in it went for the double. Back to level. But couldve been much worse!

Played the 16th well. Good drive, great 6 iron and rolled it in from 15 ft for the birdie. I hit a v poor tee shot on 17, usually a formidable par 3 but doable as it was downwind. That left me with another chip shot, which I obviously wasnt looking forward to given the debacle on 15. Struck it ok but it was a weak effort and led to a bogey 4.

Hit a great drive down 18 but flared a 5 iron approach, leaving yet another unpalatable chip off a spongy lie and over the greenside bunker. Prodded it to about 14 ft and, figuring it might well be worth something, poured it in for a par and a 71.

Ended up getting a prize so absolutely delighted with that, even if there were thoughts of what couldve been. 15 was very distressing as I thought Id put the dreaded chipping yips behind me, yet that is the only way I could describe two of my efforts there. But my putting was the best its been in literally years. 23 in total, discounting 1 or 2 from off the green, certainly makes things a lot easier. And 6 birdies away from your home course off the back sticks..pretty happy with that!

Also got cut 0.5 so not a bad way to start the year all in all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks Benice........

Always a great read -

sadly end of thread 2019 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

With the ongoing settled weather into the new year, hope everyone gets to play a bit while the going is good!

I played the Tuesday winter series in Portmarnock Links on New Years Day and managed a 71 gross off 1.

Fabulous round to start this year's thread, well done! You are as bad as me- spent more time describing the bad holes and glossing over the birdies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

After basically a year out from taking golf seriously due to a house move.

I'm back.

And what a time to be back. I've been playing 6 holes or so over the last few weeks - but with a slight bit of extra light there now , you can squeeze 12 in, in the afternoon. Each day delivers that extra 2 minutes , each week an extra hole on the course.

The weather has been bizarrely settled , global warming like alarming , but a joy for the winter golfer.

I'm hoping how well I'm hitting the ball is a sign for the season , and it has been nearly 2 years since I had a very good score. I'd like to get the right in the next 4/5 months and hit 75 or lower in competition and get the handicap moving down for once. Now off 6.

This time of year has hidden advantages, you have the course to yourself , the retired , the mad, the lonely, the migratory birds.

When my game went a bit wrong , I had developed this massive over the top move , resulting in a wild slice or snap hook - was hard work and big scores.

The break seems to have caused some sort of reset in my swing and, it is far more accurate, good contact and going where I want it.

My irons have always been a strength and putting goes from ok to good with practice.

My nemesis for a long time now is wedge play - If I could improve wedges, I genuinely and would be almost fearful of what level my handicap could get to.

Strange - to say fearful , but is there is a psychological battle in golf too of accepting the level you are at or can get to. The best golfers , feel totally comfortable with their handicap , not intimidated by it. Your handicap is your handicap because you got to it.

Sorry a bit of a tangent above - so 12 holes, 2 birds, 2 bogies and 8 pars.

Delighted with that - as I know there is more in there somewhere.

It is just about finding it, when the season returns and the layers are less and the course is a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Last game was a fourball, 14 holes. Had played alright, added to the score but left 5/6 points out there. Was thinking back on it today, and realised had 29 points if was on my own card. Very surprised by that, I am playing half decent so hopefully can keep it up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

26 points over 12 holes today. Parred the first 5 holes, and was looking really good, but a duff drive on the 5th followed by a horrible slice on a bad lie kind of killed me. Scratched that, then got a 7 on the par 5 7th. Bogeys on all remaining holes till the 12th, which i parred.

Played some lovely golf, just wasn't that accurate with my drives, and that cost me a fair few shots. Was steady with my putting, and had no 3 putts.

Happy enough overall, so roll on next weekend.

• Advertisement

29 points for 14 holes again. Gutting thing that 2 terrible drives caused me scratches too. So 90% a good day on the course. No 3 putts, no 1 pointers....will take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

21 points for 9 holes today.

2 birdies
    3 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 double

Couple of poor shots, couple of poor club choices, but overall pretty solid golf. Could have been a couple of shots better, but maybe I'm just being greedy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Casual round with my wife today at Rathsallagh, my best round...well ever. 89 overall, which is my first time breaking 90.

2 birds
    5 pars
    7 bogeys
    2 doubles
    2 others

The 9/other on 18 tarnished the round a little for me, I was trying so hard to finish strong but it got away from me. I had pared the previous 2 holes and felt good going into the last, but an errant drive and miscalculated recovery shot put me in a desperate position, a test I failed. Still very excited at the progress and hope to move into the 80s club again more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Oh how I have really missed playing Golf.
    With 2 young boys and an involvement in a football club, I just can't find to time to play much at all.
    Played Corbills yesterday in a fundraising event for the football club and enjoyed every minute of it.
    Hadn't pick up a club since since I played just one round in the Summer. So wasn't expecting much. Came in with 31 points marking off 21
    . 40 points won the event but 33 would of got me 2nd so I was sick about that because I scratched the 16th and 18th.
    Anyway the game yesterday has definitely relit the fire again. So going try make the effort to get out as much as possible.

23 points yesterday over 12 holes. Started poorly, with two double bogey's, then 2 bogeys. 4 pars in a row after that, followed by a scratch, par, bogey, double bogey. Driving the ball well, bar two holes were i completely lost my swing and tried to smash it, resulting in a topped ball that went 50 yards on the first and about 20 on the 2nd. Short game was very poor though, and anything inside 50 yards was a bad shot.

Spring league starts next week, so need to get up and practise the short game a bit before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

First round of the year on Saturday in a 9 Hole Comp. Felt great to be out playing again in perfect conditions.

Had 17 points and happy with the way I played
    Drove the ball solid, only missed two fairways.
    Iron play abit erratic with club selection, prob only found a good range twice.
    Putted well leaving a lot of putts just short or shaving the hole.

In summary, loved being out on the course again and looking forward to playing again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

28 points through 12 holes on Sunday, 36 total.

Finished B, DB, B, DB.

Been watching a lot of instructional videos on YouTube lately and despite my collapse happy with how I’m striking it

Birdie, double birdie, birdie, double birdie? Nice :pac:

4 persoñ team event today over 14 holes. Came in on 11 of them, had 27 points on my own. Wind was mad, rain was hurting at times, clubs were slipping out of hands (one managed to go 30-40 yards). Can it be summer yet?

Team event today. Played ****e. Lots of pints on Saturday does not equate to lots of points on Sunday

Out in the worst of the weather on Saturday morning, cold, wet & very windy. Made club selection tricky at times.

Played two holes in a row in my place that run pretty much parallel to each other, with similar length, but in the opposite directions, one into the wind, followed by the next downwind.

Into the wind...Drive, Hybrid, pitch to get to the green
    Downwind...Drive, 3/4 Gap Wedge

Some difference!

Was soaked coming off the course, but played pretty steady golf. 19 points for 9 holes. Could have been a couple of points better, but was happy given the conditions. Worst score on the card was a Bogey, so was pretty solid.

Winning score in my category was 20, so was close to a prize. Think 21 points was the best score across the board on the day, which is low given placing, etc...

So, even though I came off the course miserable & soaked, was all round a decent enough round of golf.

30 points. Poor putting. Never drove the ball better which is making this dropping to the side a little annoying at this stage!

27 points over 12 holes today, including two scratches. Actually played really well, but scratched the 4th after a bad lie which resulted in me going under the ball (which was weird), and an unlucky drive on the 6th with a lost ball where it shouldn't have been lost. Striking the irons really well, with a sweet 170 yard 6 iron from a tough position to around 10 feet on the 15th was my shot of the day :) 8 pars, 2 bogeys and 2 scratches.

Definitely feel like my game is improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Have tried to play 3 times this year

Rained off, Rained off, Frozen :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Have tried to play 3 times this year

Rained off, Rained off, Frozen :)

Played 9 holes on our "Ice" Course at the weekend. Teeing off mats & into temporary greens.

Couldn't get a tee into the ground, so was glad to have the mats, but temporary greens are just awful. Would almost prefer an hour's at the range to be honest!

Drove the ball great, think the longest I had in to any of the par 4s (except 1) was about 80 yards. But hitting off frozen ground meant that 1, contact was a lottery & 2, the bounce was a lottery too.

Hit a number of the "greens" with 60 yrs pitches that bounced on the green & jumped 5-10 yards through them

• Advertisement

Played 9 holes on our "Ice" Course at the weekend. Teeing off mats & into temporary greens.

Couldn't get a tee into the ground, so was glad to have the mats, but temporary greens are just awful. Would almost prefer an hour's at the range to be honest!

Drove the ball great, think the longest I had in to any of the par 4s (except 1) was about 80 yards. But hitting off frozen ground meant that 1, contact was a lottery & 2, the bounce was a lottery too.

Hit a number of the "greens" with 60 yrs pitches that bounced on the green & jumped 5-10 yards through them

Never understood why golf courses put these winter greens in. They are ****e! Why anyone plays them boggles the mind.

We played Sunday morning. Got out but they opened up about 30-45 minutes too early. Really struggled to get the tee into the ground for first few holes! Lovely morning for a game.

Played 13 hole comp, played exactly to handicap. Never struggled all day but just wasn't scoring but after 7 bogies and two doubles, ended up parring last four holes.

Conditions were a bit of a lottery. Some lovely shots landed on the green, bounced hard and ran through the back. Frustrating at times.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Never understood why golf courses put these winter greens in. They are ****e! Why anyone plays them boggles the mind.

We played Sunday morning. Got out but they opened up about 30-45 minutes too early. Really struggled to get the tee into the ground for first few holes! Lovely morning for a game.

Played 13 hole comp, played exactly to handicap. Never struggled all day but just wasn't scoring but after 7 bogies and two doubles, ended up parring last four holes.

Conditions were a bit of a lottery. Some lovely shots landed on the green, bounced hard and ran through the back. Frustrating at times.

Cannot understand why clubs allow golfers onto frozen courses

idle wrote: »
    Cannot understand why clubs allow golfers onto frozen courses

I agree. They shouldn't. It was a mistake I think. The place looked grand, just that the frost was deep in the soil. Our place normally careful about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Interesting, our place closed all day sunday. I was quite surprised as it was really quite mild on sun compared to the sat which was very cold and completely iced out. At the time I thought they were being way over cautious. But it sounds like they were right, there was no frost visible but there must have been hard ground below the surface that they were checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Interesting, our place closed all day sunday. I was quite surprised as it was really quite mild on sun compared to the sat which was very cold and completely iced out. At the time I thought they were being way over cautious. But it sounds like they were right, there was no frost visible but there must have been hard ground below the surface that they were checking.

Yeah. I thought ours would open too. Went and had breakfast in the club. Hadn't opened by 11 so gave up. I then got thrown off the chipping green as it was considered out of play too😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

My last round was last November. Went round in 63. :cool:

It was a 9 hole course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Perifect wrote: »
    It was a 9 hole pitch & putt course.

FYP :pac:

slave1 wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

Yes, but it was windy out. :(

• Advertisement

29 Points for 12 holes again, my current go-to score. Happy with all parts of my game tbh, hitting the ball well and confident too.

Oddest bit bout today is I am bit unhappy with my finish for the round. Was on 21 after 8 holes, really should have added another few points there. Can't be too hard on it though, this time last year I'd be getting 18/19

Advertisement