Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plural of Premium

• 24-03-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Is it ‘premiums’ or ‘premia’ ?

I use the word frequently in work correspondence and believe that ‘premiums’ is the correct form, however a colleague disagrees. Or are both equally acceptable?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think the correct plural of "premium", based on its Latin origin, is "premia", but just like for "forum, "millennium" and "aquarium", the plural with "s" is also used and accepted.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spelling/plurals

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It would be very weird if we had to adopt the plurals of the originating language for all of our borrowed words.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

At least we'd be rid of "paninis" and "cappucinos".

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

New Home wrote: »
    I think the correct plural of "premium", based on its Latin origin, is "premia", but just like for "forum, "millennium" and "aquarium", the plural with "s" is also used and accepted.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spelling/plurals

Thanks for the reference, I had seen some others with similar information. The problem is, the more you search, the more you find an equal distribution of opinion!
    Some time ago, when discussing the same issue with the word 'referendum', I had discovered a rule that said if it is the same referendum question carried out multiple times, that would be referendums, and if it was different referendum questions carried out at the same time, it would be referenda. or something like that anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would agree about premiums being the more usual and acceptable form, premia is a bit, as Permabear says, pretentious sounding.

Advertisement