Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential Severe thunderstorm Thursday November 3rd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Got and with google i got it totally. Be an interesting day then. I foresee a December like thread refreshing on my part lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Yeah snow. Now put down the glue..

And sometimes when mosture ridden updraughts hit cold upper airflows you get GIANT HAILSTONES LIKE GOLFBALLS

(starts at 20 secs in ) This forum does not really do Giant Hailstones, they wanna hear snow or emmmm snow! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Typical... i go away from my laptop for a bit and all hell breaks loose here! haha ... Calm down folks , no blizzards, no tornadoes ..... i m expecting some nice rumbles of thunder here and there maybe some nice structure too!

level 2 warnings from extofex even went to be a non event last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh, I'll believe it when I see it marching towards me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

is the world ending again?

• Advertisement

is the world ending again?
    If you don't park your shiny new Beemer underground in the car park they just pumped dry...then possibly yes. :cool:

Confab wrote: »
    Meh, I'll believe it when I see it marching towards me.

Your face 2moro evening...... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!

180084.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

They've updated there warning now with

2011-11-3

I wonder is West Donegal at risk too, (it might just be the met stopping the circle once the border ends)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would say look out Wicklow and then Dublin (now to 1030h), incoming heavy showers may become thundery, torrential downpours and possible hail or gusty winds ... local flood potential should be monitored. A few places could see 20-30 mms in a two-three hour period. You know the drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

that looks rather tasty :D

any like that heading cork direction?

• Advertisement

It'll probably end up as a spit of rain and a single distant rumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

We've already had some serious rain here in Waterford, no thunder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Everything is very still here in West Wicklow. Calm before the Storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

that looks rather tasty :D

any like that heading cork direction?
    You would think Dublin got a deluge looking at that radar. I got sweet f a.
    The sun is even attempting to come out. :confused:

Everything is very still here in West Wicklow. Calm before the Storm?

Nope. calm before the calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it looked better earlier this morning. it just split before it got to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

It always makes me laugh those SEVERE thunderstorm warnings for Ireland .... I get the feeling the word SEVERE has a different meaning here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Your face 2moro evening...... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!

180084.png

There be THUNDER in ma pants, if i see that in the sky above me!!!:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is there any risk of flight cancellations for the Weekend?

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is there any risk of flight cancellations for the Weekend?

Na , this has nothing to do with the weekend. Ur grand..

Very Unstable tephigram,
    if only we had higher temp differences on each side of the fronts :(

valtef.gif

When is this scheduled to kick off? Strikes starting to be visible on the south coast of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Confab wrote: »
    When is this scheduled to kick off?

"Potential" has been postponed!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Well spotted Ian.
    This tephi shows a nice unstable atmosphere. The big thick red line starts rising at the DALR ( Dry Air Adibatic Lapse Rate which is the puple line). Then at about 1000 meters it condenses and reaches saturation point and starts to rise at the SALR ( Saturated Air Lapse Rate curved green lines). It then rises to about 9000 metres and hits the equilibrium level and stops rising.
    This where the Anvil should form.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Very Unstable tephigram,
    if only we had higher temp differences on each side of the fronts :(

valtef.gif

Just need a trigger for the convection now which doesn't look like happening. Too much moisture through all levels

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

serious rain here since last night an fairly windy too... jus lookin out an its the heaviset rain ive seen in a good while....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

V heavy half hour of rain here in the north east, which ended with about 5 min of hailstones mixed in...really dark over the mountains heading north but brightening from the south...looks like the sun might come out for a while...would that be enough for some added convective heating later in teh afternoon?

Wertz wrote: »
    V heavy half hour of rain here in the north east, which ended with about 5 min of hailstones mixed in...really dark over the mountains heading north but brightening from the south...looks like the sun might come out for a while...would that be enough for some added convective heating later in teh afternoon?

I don't think it will be enough as the heat from the sun at this time of year won't account for much.
    If the upper air temps were colder it could have been an active day but the temps are a little on the high side at 850mb.
    The freezing level is quite high also with the GFS putting the 0DegC Isotherm at 2200m so any hail forming will be small.

• Advertisement

Tornando9 wrote: »
    any hail forming will be small.
    :(

Advertisement