Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bother's barking dog

• 19-06-2019 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a rather precarious situation.

My brother is going to be my neighbour in a couple of months.

He has 3 crazy dogs.

I currently live a little further down the road than I will be. Last night, for example, dog was out 11/12/1/2 going nuts barking constantly.

Eventually that dog stops at 2am. At 8am, another of his dogs takes over, and barks all day.

I have tried to approach him. And am told f-off, and am the one causing the issue.

I will try and speak to him again about this. But in the case am told to f off again, I am willing to let him know formally that I will be making a complaint to the council. Do I want to do this? No. But dont I have a right to live comfortably in my property?

For anyone about to say "work it out with him" it's like the old saying "bring a horse to water, but cant make it drink." He has a tendancy to be bullyish about things. I'd be laid back in nature. But the gloves are off now as a lot of money/property is involved.

My question is, has anyone ever reported to the council before? What would constitute an issue? (i.e., how many barks per hour/does time of day/night etc come into play?).

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Throw a bucket of water over then when they do it at night. They'll soon figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Throw a bucket of water over then when they do it at night. They'll soon figure it out.

It's not the dogs fault. It's the asshat of an owner.

OP: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

The night dog is roaming around. Cant catch him. Not my job to anyways!

Thanks for the link.

I have searched all this, and know what to do. Am wondering if anyone has had any experience of this issue, and what the outcome was!

Seems like dog owners do not like being told their dogs are being a nuisance. Or my bro just being an inconsiderate grade 5 A-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Do ye own or rent the houses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Seems like dog owners do not like being told their dogs are being a nuisance. Or at least my bro who is seemingly being an inconsiderate grade 5 A-hole.
    Most dog owners would take the comments on board, and try to fix the issue. It sounds like your bro likes the status of having a dog, but doesn't like having to deal with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not the dogs fault. It's the asshat of an owner.

Which happens to be his brother, there tough going but easier the dogs learns than getting outside agencies involved as it's only fuelling the fire.
    They need to resolve this sqabble, calm down and sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bring the dogs in and send the brother to the pound! He sounds like a complete Pr!ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Not in a million years would I go formal and report my brother to authorities over a barking dog.

I find dogs can be quite slow to understand the upset they cause, you explain to them rationally and politely that it is discourteous of them to make noise between 10pm and 8am, but the bloody things don't seem to take it in.

I have a lab that goes mad with excitement every evening when I come home from work. I can't get her to stop barking. Granted that is not late and it doesn't last long, but no matter what I try I can't get her to contain herself and keep quiet when I arrive.

There may be nothing your brother can do about it. Are you really going to look for an order that the dog be taken away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Fian wrote: »
    Not in a million years would I go formal and report my brother to authorities over a barking dog.

I find dogs can be quite slow to understand the upset they cause, you explain to them rationally and politely that it is discourteous of them to make noise between 10pm and 8am, but the bloody things don't seem to take it in.

I have a lab that goes mad with excitement every evening when I come home from work. I can't get her to stop barking. Granted that is not late and it doesn't last long, but no matter what I try I can't get her to contain herself and keep quiet when I arrive.

There may be nothing your brother can do about it. Are you really going to look for an order that the dog be taken away?
    Dog counselling can be very effective

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    There may be nothing your brother can do about it.

Am sorry, but the fact that the dogs cant be controlled (or he doesnt want to) isnt my problem. Its the owners. And the above it not true. You could do something about your dog. There are noise deterrents, dog training, dog behavioural training. This is on you to do. Not the neighbour (if there ever was in your case. A dog barking for a few minutes, happy to see its owner, is a lot different to listening to dogs barking constantly morning, noon, and night.

And yes, if he doesnt take heed, I will report it, brother or not. I am allowed to enjoy my property. Yes I own the property.

The dogs are barking all day and some of the night. How would you propose to live beside this? Am the bad person for wanting peace. Not the owner, not the dog.

The dogs barking is a nuisance. Thats why there is a law against noise disturbances.

Am not looking for comments on what a bad person I am because I dont want to live beside dogs barking day or night, because the owner (brother or not) isnt arsed. It's simply unfair to neighbours. And its also unfair to the dogs. I didnt put him in this position, he did. So less of the guilt tripping. You can tell from some comments on this thread people who would take responsibility for actions, and people who wouldnt. Interesting.

I have tried to talk to him about this. And it ends up him screaming at me to f off.

Am asking if anyone has experience in the reporting part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

sick your Ma on him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Lived in a house next door to two dogs who barked all day, it is desperately stressful, impossible to relax in those circumstances. The OP has no option but to go the formal route of his brother won’t deal with the issue.

Remember the case in Kerry with the crowbanger, if you have lived next door to someone who is responsible for constant noise you’d have more sympathy for the perpetrator than the victim, it is an awful life.

Lived in a house next door to two dogs who barked all day, it is desperately stressful, impossible to relax in those circumstances.

Am sorry you'd to go through this too.

Yes-the stress its causing (the dogs barking all day) and the thoughts of approaching bro is paramount. But it has to be done.

I will of course (try) speak to him again before going the formal route. But if he doesnt listen (and I will try describe the stress to him to see if it will make a difference), I have to be prepare to go the formal route. So am trying to gather information.

Yes-the stress its causing (the dogs barking all day) and the thoughts of approaching bro is paramount. But it has to be done.

I will of course (try) speak to him again before going the formal route. But if he doesnt listen (and I will try describe the stress to him to see if it will make a difference), I have to be prepare to go the formal route. So am trying to gather information.

After the third time of talking to my neighbour, and others having spoken to him too, he got rid of them, I was quite irate by that stage.
    Of course it was much easier for me as he was someone I barely knew, much harder within a family.
    Is there any other sibling or a parent who could have a word with him? I’m sure they’d see it ur way if they spent 24 hours in your house.
    Dogs barking constantly is near impossible live next to, no one should have any sympathy for owners who allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There are a few other threads here and on the pet forum and citizens info will help. Far easier than you think. and good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hi guys,
    I have a rather precarious situation.

My brother is going to be my neighbour in a couple of months.

He has 3 crazy dogs.

I currently live a little further down the road than I will be. Last night, for example, dog was out 11/12/1/2 going nuts barking constantly.

Eventually that dog stops at 2am. At 8am, another of his dogs takes over, and barks all day.

I have tried to approach him. And am told f-off, and am the one causing the issue.

I will try and speak to him again about this. But in the case am told to f off again, I am willing to let him know formally that I will be making a complaint to the council. Do I want to do this? No. But dont I have a right to live comfortably in my property?

For anyone about to say "work it out with him" it's like the old saying "bring a horse to water, but cant make it drink." He has a tendancy to be bullyish about things. I'd be laid back in nature. But the gloves are off now as a lot of money/property is involved.

My question is, has anyone ever reported to the council before? What would constitute an issue? (i.e., how many barks per hour/does time of day/night etc come into play?).

Thanks for any advice!

Your brother sounds like an inconsiderate jack ass

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sounds like the dogs are caged in all day while no one is home, this often causes dogs to bark at night

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

OP

You absolutely have the right to be able to enjoy your house and live in peace and quiet.Your brother is an A_sshole of the highest order and if he is willing to allow you to be stressed and in discomfort in your own home i would cast him from my life and go straight to court and drag him through the process.
    ANyone who disagree and states'its you brother' have never gone through the absolute torment of a dog barking constantly and disturbing your sleep.

Dont play nice with him after asking once or twice,go hard on him.

If its affecting you ,id imagine it is affecting all the other neighbours nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think your brother would know who had made the report? Just go ahead and do it, you have tried approaching him and he has not responded, so just go for it. No-one is going to take the dogs away without doing more research and approaching him so don't feel guilty, get it sorted. Just an approach from someone in an official capacity might be enough to make him take notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The only way to approach anybody is the District Court. No one else gives a crap about a dog on a premises. Dog warden won't touch it unless it's roaming and the Guards will tell you it's a civil matter / one for the Dog warden. Council will also fob you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

There is a device you can buy on Amazon. When it pick s up a bark it emits a low pericing noise only the dogs can hear. Bark . Sore ears. ... bark sore ears ..no bark no sore ears. .. problem solved

The only way to approach anybody is the District Court. No one else gives a crap about a dog on a premises. Dog warden won't touch it unless it's roaming and the Guards will tell you it's a civil matter / one for the Dog warden. Council will also fob you off.

May I amend this slightly please? a formal letter, typed and in business format, advising the dog owner that unless the noise stops within set time you intend taking them to the District Court has always availed for me.

There is a device you can buy on Amazon. When it pick s up a bark it emits a low pericing noise only the dogs can hear. Bark . Sore ears. ... bark sore ears ..no bark no sore ears. .. problem solved

How far away/near does the dog have to be please?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

Just approached my neighbour this morning after asking them via text lots of times to keep their dog in after 11 as its waking us up.
    He told me i was being ridiculous and told me if he wants to walk his dog at 2am and if it barks and wakes us then he can do nothing about it.

Off to court we go.

rondog wrote: »
    Just approached my neighbour this morning after asking them via text lots of times to keep their dog in after 11 as its waking us up.
    He told me i was being ridiculous and told me if he wants to walk his dog at 2am and if it barks and wakes us then he can do nothing about it.

Off to court we go.

Have huge sympathy for anyone who is afflicted with neighbors who won’t control their dogs.
    Hope all of ye have success in the end, please let us know how the legal route goes.

Advertisement