Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping for big circular saw (hand-held)

Options
  • 15-07-2019 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've decided I want a big circular saw, like something that'll do (say) 80mm at 90 degrees.

I currently have a cheapo Evolution corded and slightly weedy but nice Makita plunge/track saw. The Makita is used for almost everything, but I'd rather keep it for sheet ripping and detail work.

So what are my options?

There are some monster saws like the 355mm Makita 5143R and the Skilsaw Sawsquatch, but the Makita gets poor reviews and the Skilsaw isn't sold in Europe. And they're both really too big.

Is a track useful on a saw this big? I can imagine using it for cutting 80mm woodfibre insulation boards, but clamping a guide on wouldn't be a hardship in that case.

So I've found (with cheapest UK prices, for comparison):

- Hitachi C9U3 235mm, 7.2kg, £161
    - Makita 5903R 235 mm, 7.2kg, £207
    - Bosch GKS 85 235mm, 7.5kg, £200
    - DeWalt D23700, 8.2kg, £285
    - Bosch GKS 85 G 235mm, 7.5kg, £309 + rail

I'm excluding stupidly expensive stuff like Festool HK85 (£489+rail) and Mafell KSS80 (~£1k).

The Hitachi seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

(and don't mention the S word on this thread, please!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Without looking them all up and while most of my tools are yellow in colour and I've just bought much smaller yellow circular saw from Amazon I'd go with Hitachi. The one thing I like about it is that it has a molded sole plate, that and they have a good name for circular saws.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have the hitachi , hasnt missed a beat.

Would buy it again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Check Amazon warehouse deals - extra 20% off currently (til tomorrow)

Usually its just a damaged box or a scratch on something.

Possibly they have something there.

£133 after discount for joining prime
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-5903R-110-235-Circular/dp/B004X5BCDW

Join it for a trial and then cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Darc19 wrote: »
    Check Amazon warehouse deals - extra 20% off currently (til tomorrow)

Usually its just a damaged box or a scratch on something.

Possibly they have something there.

£133 after discount for joining prime
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-5903R-110-235-Circular/dp/B004X5BCDW

Join it for a trial and then cancel

You seem to be getting completely different prices to me. I have Prime and I can't get anywhere near that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Lumen wrote: »
    You seem to be getting completely different prices to me. I have Prime and I can't get anywhere near that price.

Yeah I can find it for £166 on the Amazon warehouse, with prime myself.
    Nowhere is showing £133

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Makita 5903r is one of the most durable saws going imo, everyone I’ve worked for has had one, all types of work you can think of, some of them had been round the block and still in good shape.
    The Makita 5008mgaj has a big depth of cut and is a powerhouse of a saw and a nice size and weight. We’ve had one for 2 years now and I really like it. I was gonna get one myself but I just picked up a 10 inch makita in new condition for nothing.
    Can’t go wrong with makita saws imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

seannash wrote: »
    Yeah I can find it for £166 on the Amazon warehouse, with prime myself.
    Nowhere is showing £133

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004X5BCDW/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

20% off for prime customers - shows at checkout.

Thanks all.

I couldn't get the price of the Hitachi down below around €195 shipped in 240V guise so I suffered a moment of weakness and got the Bosch with guide rail compatibility shipped from Germany for €266.

If it proves to be a terrible decision I'll let you all know how right you were.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I couldn't get the price of the Hitachi down below around €195 shipped in 240V guise so I suffered a moment of weakness and got the Bosch with guide rail compatibility shipped from Germany for €266.

If it proves to be a terrible decision I'll let you all know how right you were.:D

That Bosch will work on your Makita tracks. If you want a cheap set of tracks then get the evolution kit for about 85€, I’ve had them the last few months for my Bosch cordless saw and it’s a dream to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lumen,

I got a big Makita for free several years ago and at 18 pounds, it was just too damn heavy for me for any kind of continuous use, so I would say have a feel of the weight before you get it.
    It didn't have soft start so the kick was savage when it started

Have you tried cutting wood fibre with a circular saw: I tried it, the dust/dirt was unreal, I went back to a new handsaw on trestles

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Have you tried cutting wood fibre with a circular saw: I tried it, the dust/dirt was unreal, I went back to a new handsaw on trestles
    Yes, it was fine with the tracksaw and a mask, although I had to flip it and do two cuts.

It was messy but I was doing it outside, so I'd just be standing in a pile of fluff.

Advertisement