Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission

• 15-07-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All, I am currently looking at a house that has a Granny flat (with ESB and Water connection from main dwelling) out the back (current planning for a Shed) so I would need retention planning for change in usage, does anyone have any experience of obtaining same from Dublin City Council? Just wondering would it be a headache to obtain same.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

REDSOCKS22 wrote: »
    Hi All, I am currently looking at a house that has a Granny flat (with ESB and Water connection from main dwelling) out the back (current planning for a Shed) so I would need retention planning for change in usage, does anyone have any experience of obtaining same from Dublin City Council? Just wondering would it be a headache to obtain same.

Yes.
    It will be refused.

Unless you apply for retention of the structure, construction of a link to the main dwelling and conversion of the whole stricter to a granny flat (Ancillary Family Accommodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 REDSOCKS22

Thanks it would not be possible to construct a link to the main dwelling the way it is set up. I could apply for retention as a studio rather than a granny flat.

Thanks it would not be possible to construct a link to the main dwelling the way it is set up. I could apply for retention as a studio rather than a granny flat.

Garden Room/Shed/Store/Games Room/Hobby Room etc
    All the same Planning class.
    It will be conditioned that it cannot be used for habitable purposes.

Yes as advised I would submit a change of usage planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Why?
    You have planning for a shed: change of use to what?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Why?
    You have planning for a shed: change of use to what?

To a granny flat, it is currently fitted out as a granny flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

To a granny flat, it is currently fitted out as a granny flat!

You’ve been advised that it would be refused.

You’ve been advised that it would be refused.

I’m allowed to look for more than one opinion!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,720 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A second opinion here...

It will be refused permission as a granny flat.

You won’t get permission for change of use. Also, in planning terms, a change of use is a change in its planning class from one to another, for example, from residential to commercial. A granny flat is still residential so there’s no change of use taking place.

You need to speak to someone face to face to go through the options, but ,etc me tell you, you are very limited.

It’s a shed, a glorified shed unfortunately and you just have to accept that. It’s the cold hard truth, but honesty is the best policy.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    You won’t get permission for change of use. Also, in planning terms, a change of use is a change in its planning class from one to another, for example, from residential to commercial. A granny flat is still residential so there’s no change of use taking place.

You need to speak to someone face to face to go through the options, but ,etc me tell you, you are very limited.

It’s a shed, a glorified shed unfortunately and you just have to accept that. It’s the cold hard truth, but honesty is the best policy.

Great thanks for that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’m allowed to look for more than one opinion!
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    A second opinion here...

It will be refused permission as a granny flat.

+2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are you a cash buyer?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement