Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

503 Error

• 25-07-2020 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Since this morning getting a
    503 error when going to most forums or even threads

503 Error
    Unfortunately the backend returned an error and could not fulfill this request. Please try again or return to the homepage.

Refreshing normally passes it.

From the diagnostics page I got a different error

An exception occured in driver: SQLSTATE[08004] [1040] Too many connections

I tried to upload an image but its being blocked as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Same here. So it must be widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I’ve the same issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Same message here on the touch site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi

503 Error
    Unfortunately the backend returned an error and could not fulfill this request. Please try again or return to the homepage.

Likewise. Using touch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi

503 Error

Try switching to “Full Site” if you are using the Touch one. Works on the phone, anyway.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Getting quite a few of them earlier myself Tal, though I usually attribute it to my location. We've had to ramp up the Cloudflare defenses lately due to a spam attack, so that may be a factor. The 503s seem to have abated for me right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Same here.
    Probably an attempted DDOS or a backend server issue but all seems OK now.

Don’t use touchsite version, I’m old fashioned, stone and hammer surfing for me.

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Again on both touch and desktop

This is gone to the dogs lately. 3 days in a row always in the early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,834 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

503 errors all day and seemingly nothing been done to fix it?

It would be nice to have something on twitter saying your aware of the issues, not that hard to do??

I dont think I've seen boards.ie in as worse state as I've seen these days and I've been along long time.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi folks,

Sorry for the disruption over the weekend. Dev team will be investigating the root cause, but hopefully back to normal again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Thank you Dev team :) and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've said this before - Boards makes appalling use of its Twitter account.

Site goes down - go onto Twitter for an update on the problem - the newest tweet is a load of marketing bollox from two weeks or a month ago.

If admitting to technical failures is bad for the brand, can we have a "Boards Tech" or similar twitter account that will actually let us know when a problem is known about and is being worked on?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

'n they're baaaack :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Every day for the past week I've tried logging on in the morning between 6am and 7am only to be greeted with either a cloudflare server down error, a 503 boards error or there has been an SQL problem. Every. Day.

I think being a boards dev is now my dream job. So little seems to be expected of you.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We're aware of the issue and looking into it. We'll post an update when we have one, thanks for your patience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement