Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hi folks,

Anyone came across this issue before...

I top a card up online so will need to use app to convert the topup to the card itself. However the card is missing.

Its registered so i can just report same and get another. But would i still be able get the credit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Qrt

Hi folks,

Anyone came across this issue before...

I top a card up online so will need to use app to convert the topup to the card itself. However the card is missing.

Its registered so i can just report same and get another. But would i still be able get the credit

Yeah you should be able to. I’ve used other people’s phones to top up my own leap card with no issue. I think I may have heard that the cash goes back into your bank account if the top-up isn’t collected within 14 days, but I don’t know if it’s correct!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If the topup hasn't been collected it'll be refunded to the payment card. As your current leapcard hasn't received it. A replacement is not a reproduction of the card, it's a new one you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

On Dublin Bus is it possible to use an annual ticket on a personalised card and get travel credit additional fares in the one go.

The same you can get on, go to the driver and get for example two €2.25's from a cash purse. Can you go to the driver and tell him there is an annual ticket and and you want two €2.25's in the one go if there are three of you travelling. I had two guys up from the country who only had notes so I said I'd cover them. The driver got the annual ticket (turns out looking at the travel history he didn't) but then said after hitting a few buttons that he couldn't access the cash purse on it.

I can't say I've ever asked for this since getting the taxsaver so I don't know if it is possible or he just wasn't sure of what to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I dont think you can do that. While companion fares are possible, I think it's an add on to paying a fare. Youd need to check with dublin bus of it'll be possible to do a companion fare after using a ticket on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It is possible to pay from the purse (at leap card rate) with an annual ticket, but you need to validate the annual ticket first

That is possible with the drivers machine but is simpler to use the right side validator

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On Dublin Bus is it possible to use an annual ticket on a personalised card and get travel credit additional fares in the one go.

The same you can get on, go to the driver and get for example two €2.25's from a cash purse. Can you go to the driver and tell him there is an annual ticket and and you want two €2.25's in the one go if there are three of you travelling. I had two guys up from the country who only had notes so I said I'd cover them. The driver got the annual ticket (turns out looking at the travel history he didn't) but then said after hitting a few buttons that he couldn't access the cash purse on it.

I can't say I've ever asked for this since getting the taxsaver so I don't know if it is possible or he just wasn't sure of what to do.

Yes this is totally possible,as long as there is enough credit in the purse to cover the amount.
    If you first validate your annual ticket on the remote validator,then return to the Drivers T.I.M,it should then automatically go to the Purse/Companion screen.
    The only limit is the amount of credit in the Purse.
    It is also totally possible to validate the Annual on the T.I.M,but somewhat longer winded,and therefore less popular.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Ah ok, good to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5ide5h0w

Does anyone know if there are any plans to allow the use of mobile phones for leap card - similar to apple pay for credit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

5ide5h0w wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any plans to allow the use of mobile phones for leap card - similar to apple pay for credit cards?

That's one idea https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/just-the-ticket/ It will depend on Apple cooperating.

• Advertisement

5ide5h0w wrote: »

There was a tender done a few months ago to expand the NFC devices in use. Its primarily focused on the likes of debit cards. But the scope included the potential for phones with NFC. So it's something that is to be pursued. But will come down to feasibility and business cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

why can't we just tag on and off using debit card like the tube in London?

Is the Luas looking to make a few extra bob for Xmas lately?

Ticket Inspectors seem to be doubling up on each other the last few days...

Where do those €100s go does anyone know? certainly not into ensuring the Luas comes on time once in a blue moon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    why can't we just tag on and off using debit card like the tube in London?

It's not a simple change. It will probably require new card readers at every Dart station and Luas stop and on-board every Dublin Bus, GAI bus and any other operator who want to support it. It will then need a new back-office system to make it all work. It will almost definitely happen in Dublin but it won't be quick and it won't be cheap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you only buy the personalised card online? Any idea how long it takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Why does it take so long for top up to appear? It's happened to me twice now where I've topped up before 10pm, yet when I tried to tag on my bus ticket, it wasn't valid. Anyone know if they're doing something to work on speeding up the top up?

Stheno wrote: »
    Can you only buy the personalised card online? Any idea how long it takes?

I ordered mine on a Thursday and had it the following Monday or Tuesday. It was speedy enough!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wing126 wrote: »
    Why does it take so long for top up to appear? It's happened to me twice now where I've topped up before 10pm, yet when I tried to tag on my bus ticket, it wasn't valid. Anyone know if they're doing something to work on speeding up the top up?

The bus load locations could be problematic if the bus in question was unused for a day or two quite possibly. Presuming this is one of the private operators as DB/GAI aren't load locations?

Online topup for load location collection will likely die off when either Apple allow full NFC support or Apple phones drop below a certain % of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

L1011 wrote: »
    The bus load locations could be problematic if the bus in question was unused for a day or two quite possibly. Presuming this is one of the private operators as DB/GAI aren't load locations?

Online topup for load location collection will likely die off when either Apple allow full NFC support or Apple phones drop below a certain % of usage.

Yeah, it's a private operator.

Is there any way I can top up and collect my ticket without getting on the bus? That would allow me to get the ticket sooner?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wing126 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a private operator.

Is there any way I can top up and collect my ticket without getting on the bus? That would allow me to get the ticket sooner?

Android phone app should let you load whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Can anyone make sense of my transactions here?

The 01/09/2019 9:14pm deduction  €9.09 - €2.25 should have left me with €6.84.

The 06/09/2019 7:04pm transaction  €3.04 - €2.25 should have left €0.79.

Have I misread something here? :confused:

QeG4KBv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

oneilla wrote: »
    Can anyone make sense of my transactions here?

The 01/09/2019 9:14pm deduction  €9.09 - €2.25 should have left me with €6.84.

The 06/09/2019 7:04pm transaction  €3.04 - €2.25 should have left €0.79.

Have I misread something here? :confused:

QeG4KBv.png

Looks like 2 x 2.25 was taken, why it doesn't show though ???

Ring the Leap helpline 1850 824824 or 01 5171528, they are not available on Sun so Mon-Fri from 7am - 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Looks like 2 x 2.25 was taken, why it doesn't show though ???

Ring the Leap helpline 1850 824824 or 01 5171528, they are not available on Sun so Mon-Fri from 7am - 7pm.

Yeah it looks like I was charged €4.50 on the 1st by Goahead and €3.80 on the 6th by Dublin Bus. I missed the last bus last night because the driver said there was no money on it. I was fuming :mad:

Promotional Dublin multi-operator cap of €25 for two weeks later this month. Presumably trying to encourage the usual autumnal wave of new/returning commuters (when driving gets horrible) to use Leap and get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I tagged on and got on the luas today at Jervis. Driver announced that the Luas would not be going any further because there was a delay up ahead. I tagged off again.

Will my leap card be charged for a journey? I forgot to check when i was tagging off if my balance decreased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Qrt

I tagged on and got on the luas today at Jervis. Driver announced that the Luas would not be going any further because there was a delay up ahead. I tagged off again.

Will my leap card be charged for a journey? I forgot to check when i was tagging off if my balance decreased.

Yeah, a one zone fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Qrt wrote: »
    Yeah, a one zone fare.

I emailed them and they will refund it. Same thing had happened to me on Saturday when a Luas i was on had to be terminated in Abbey Street because of some parade on O'Connell Street.

To be fair to them they replied fairly quickly and told me that i'd be getting a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I forgot to tag off when I got off the train. Can I go back and tag off? How long before it would just charge me for another journey instead?

sligeach wrote: »
    I forgot to tag off when I got off the train. Can I go back and tag off? How long before it would just charge me for another journey instead?
    First, check your car status on the ticket machine.

If you swipe your card on the validator within 90 minutes of previously tagging on, it should tag you off. If you do it after the 90 minutes, it will tag you on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I went down to the station about 5 hours after I got off, checked the machine and it said I was still tagged on. So I scanned my card and it took another €2.20 off instead of refunding €2.20. I should have left it alone, just made things worse for myself. It's a bit of a scam, they got money for nothing. I should skip paying the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

sligeach wrote: »
    I went down to the station about 5 hours after I got off, checked the machine and it said I was still tagged on. So I scanned my card and it took another €2.20 off instead of refunding €2.20. I should have left it alone, just made things worse for myself. It's a bit of a scam, they got money for nothing. I should skip paying the next day.

The great thing about asking a question is you often get answers. In this case Victor told you the cut-off is 90 minutes, you went and tapped after 5 hours and had a deduction.

The card holds the state but it contains no clock, only when it interacts with the system does it update based on the data exchanged, at this point it was determined your card had been logged on for too long so the previous journey was timed out and another journey started.

This is not a scam, it is how it is supposed to work and let's not ignore the fact that it was your error in not tapping out and ignoring the cut-off time.

I would strongly advise you not to skip paying based on some belief that you are justified because of this, it will not be accepted as a valid excuse if you are caught.

Ring the Leap helpline and explain the situation, preferably without accusations of criminal activity on their behalf or a bad attitude generally and they may adjust your balance accordingly.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The great thing about asking a question is you often get answers. In this case Victor told you the cut-off is 90 minutes, you went and tapped after 5 hours and had a deduction.
    In fairness, the ticket machine should have said 'expired', not tagged-on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement