Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this sonoff light switch work?

• 12-09-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting one of these to try out with an eye to maybe getting more if it does. Does it matter that it says EU? As far as I can tell it's just the shape is different between eu/us/uk.

Here's the wiring in one of my light switches at home. I assume I should be good as there is live and neutral there. On a side note anyone know why there is three live wires for a single light switch?

Comments

On a side note anyone know why there is three live wires for a single light switch?

Switch wire and a loop feed (live in,live out).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 onliner

You need UK type to fit existing switch box (not EU or US)
    You need a neutral at the switch
    Not suitable for two way switch

I have one 3 gang installed in my home with no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭D12C

Hi all,

I have a similar query, but I've no idea about electrics. I will have an electrician coming at some stage to do other work, but just want to check it this is possible also.

Below is an image of the current switch which controls my under cabinet lighting.

It is possible to get this replaced with one of the Sonoff Smart Switches below? (without too much difficulty). All I want is basic On/Off timer functionality through Alexa or an app. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

D12C wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a similar query, but I've no idea about electrics. I will have an electrician coming at some stage to do other work, but just want to check it this is possible also.

Below is an image of the current switch which controls my under cabinet lighting.

It is possible to get this replaced with one of the Sonoff Smart Switches below? (without too much difficulty). All I want is basic On/Off timer functionality through Alexa or an app. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It would no longer be to code as under counter electrical things need a fused switch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I finally got around to trying to install this but I'm doing something wrong, instructions it came with aren't much help. In the normal light switch there was 2 brown wires going into Lcomm and one into L1. I put the 2 wires from Lcomm into Lout and the one brown from L1 in Lin. Then I put all 3 neutral wires into the Nin. The sonoff light switch doesn't seem to be getting any power, what am I doing wrong here? Is one of the neutrals supposed to go into Lout as well?

Pic attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

I finally got around to trying to install this but I'm doing something wrong, instructions it came with aren't much help. In the normal light switch there was 2 brown wires going into Lcomm and one into L1. I put the 2 wires from Lcomm into Lout and the one brown from L1 in Lin. Then I put all 3 neutral wires into the Nin. The sonoff light switch doesn't seem to be getting any power, what am I doing wrong here? Is one of the neutrals supposed to go into Lout as well?

Pic attached
    You need to swap what you have done with your lives. Lcomm should go into Lin and the one brown that was in L1 goes into Lout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You need to swap what you have done with your lives. Lcomm should go into Lin and the one brown that was in L1 goes into Lout

Yep that did it, thanks so much

Advertisement