Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice on how to keep my dog from getting out

Options
  • 10-09-2019 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have started a new job 3 months ago. Before this I was at home everyday. I have 2 dogs both 3 years old. They are sisters and my garden is enclosed. My partner is in and out of the house during the day so he lets the dogs out to go toilet but one of the dogs keeps getting out of our garden.( garden is completely inclosed) Last week she ended up nearly getting knocked down on the main road. Thankfully she didn’t. We have tried to keep her locked into the house by day but she keeps getting out somehow sneaking past my partner. She sleeps in our bed every night and has always been indoors. I was thinking about getting an enclosed dog pen with a heater dog bed for outside during the day while I’m not around and putting them both in there. Anyone think this would make her worse or have any other solutions?? I’m very stressed and they are my babies and if anything happened to them I would be devastated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Obviously the garden is not completely enclosed if the dog is getting out. Find out where they exit and fence it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Your garden is not enclosed properly if your dog is getting out? Unless it’s scaling the fence?

You need to go around entire garden on hands and feet if necessary and find the hole / escape route and fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Put a dog collar camera on your dog and see how it's escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Long lead when the dog is let out to toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ella harrington

It is completely secure we have tried everything trying to figure out how she’s getting out. My only thing is if she is sneaking out the door with my partner. Would a pen be suitable for a couple of hours during the days he is in and out cutting grass etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What type of dogs are they?

It is completely secure we have tried everything trying to figure out how she’s getting out. My only thing is if she is sneaking out the door with my partner. Would a pen be suitable for a couple of hours during the days he is in and out cutting grass etc?

can you not leave her in a room away from the door for that while? and watch her when she gets out to see where?

I got them from a rescue not a 100% but there a terrier cross. Both medium sized. The problem is when I’m at home she never gets out. It’s like she’s going looking for me. My partner has tried to watch how she’s getting out but my dog is watching him and will only get out when his back is turned

apologies for sounding stupid... but id know if my dog had slipped out when I'm leaving the house.... how could you not? that doesn't make any sense?

What breed OP?

is the dog scaling your fence? how high is it?

OR is there something the dog can jump up on and then out and over ? i.e. a kennel etc?

why not watch from the window and see?

I got them from a rescue not a 100% but there a terrier cross. Both medium sized. The problem is when I’m at home she never gets out. It’s like she’s going looking for me. My partner has tried to watch how she’s getting out but my dog is watching him and will only get out when his back is turned

How high is the fence op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Surely your partner needs to take more heed and not leave doors open for your dogs to get out? Other than that I wouldnt leave doors used to being indoors outside for prolonged periods during the day.

Surely there is a room away from the back door he can lock the dog into while he goes outside if he cant keep an eye on them?

Yes I totally agree. I would know if the dogs ever got out as I’m always watching them. However he is very careless and I have had so many arguments with him over the past few weeks over the dogs but I simply don’t trust him minding them. They are my babies and if anything happened I would be inconsolable. Out fence are about 7ft tall. No way of her jumping. I have looked for gaps anything to jump on nothing. I left her outside over the weekend looked from a window nothing. I even when outside the gate to the front garden for approx 1.5hr so she would come but still nothing. That’s why I’m asking is a dog pen my only option? As I don’t trust my partner and I’m on the verge of quitting work

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

We have a cocker spaniel who was almost killed after getting out despite having electric gates, a 3 foot high wall and a beech hedge blocking the front of the house. Raising the wall wasn’t an option without planning permission. A resourceful dog can be a great climber.

Kids would have been devastated so we bought a pet safe radio fence and created a 4 metre deep exclusion zone inside the gate.

Despite the bad press the fences get, the dog does not get shocked by it as she figured it out within the first day. The fence makes a barely audible noise when the dog approaches the wire and she stops and won’t approach it even when the gates are open and the kids are arriving home.

Whilst people criticise the fences, in my view, a small initial shock the first day or two is far better than losing our dog in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Is the dog only getting out of the garden when your partner is alone with them?

Searay this is like my dog and my heart is broke. Any idea where I could get one of these please as I do think it would be a better option. I don’t like dog pens but am desperate at this stage. Thank you

Yes she does not escape when I am there. But he might go in and out 25 times a day so I think he makes her anxious

That’s a great idea. Where could I buy this Searay please?

That’s a great idea. Where could I buy this Searay please?

Please research the radio pet fence...

they are only suitable in large areas like an acre or more not standard gardens and if not fully trained on the fence itself ... it will shock the dog and cause pain... its like €200

to be honest OP if the dog is unable to get out of the garden (fully secured and high) then maybe check if they are escaping through an open window etc?

If not I dunno... maybe your other half needs to be more careful and take responsibility (I know you already know this already OP) but seems the issue here is him and not the garden or the dogs

cocker5 wrote: »
    to be honest OP if the dog is unable to get out of the garden (fully secured and high) then maybe check if they are escaping through an open window etc?

If not I dunno... maybe your other half needs to be more careful and take responsibility (I know you already know this already OP) but seems the issue here is him and not the garden or the dogs

agree totally

• Advertisement

thank you all for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Either your garden is not secure or your partner is letting the dog escape, has to be one of the 2.

A shock collar and fence are not at all suitable for a small garden, your dog won’t be able to go anywhere without getting a shock.

There must be a side gate of some sort, terriers can squeeze through a pretty small gap or could jump up on a bin to escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Don't get a shock collar please. Having read between the lines I don't think the problem is the dog or the security of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It seems like the issue is that your partner is being irresponsible with the dogs. If they physically cannot escape from the rear garden, then he must be letting her dart out the front door when he is coming/going.

So even if you get a dog pen, can you trust him to actually put her in it successfully? Or are you going to put the dog into the pen and then let it stay in there all day while you are at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Searay this is like my dog and my heart is broke. Any idea where I could get one of these please as I do think it would be a better option. I don’t like dog pens but am desperate at this stage. Thank you

I bought the pet safe one in a Petworld store, but I think most pet shops stock them. There are other cheaper versions but being sure you can get batteries are important.

On the first day, our dog got a mild shock or 2, but she responds now to the beeping sound so does not get hurt at all. I’ve been shocked by it when testing the battery and it’s pretty minor. Far better for the dog than getting out on a busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

cocker5 wrote: »
    Your garden is not enclosed properly if your dog is getting out? Unless it’s scaling the fence?

You need to go around entire garden on hands and feet if necessary and find the hole / escape route and fix it...

Or a wall.Had a dog once that ran at a 7ft high wall and got over it no problem.Only I saw him doing it I would not have believed it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

If she's on heat,she will do unbelievable to get out to mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

bmc58 wrote:
    Or a wall.Had a dog once that ran at a 7ft high wall and got over it no problem.Only I saw him doing it I would not have believed it possible.

I had a Springer that could get on top of an 8 ft wall from a standing leap. He never actually went over the other side he just used stand on top looking all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

If the dog can't escape the back then you don't need a pen? Just leave it out there. Sort out some shelter and a warm bed and food and water. Would your partner walk them during the day ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

This thread makes no sense.

Your partner is not closing the house door and that’s how the dogs are getting out? Tell your partner to close the bloomin front door.

With regards your partner can you not ask him to supervise the dogs in the garden and see how there getting out. Better still get a cheap webcam and set it on record on the garden.

If you want the dogs in the house then get a frame that will go across the door

Advertisement