Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Total Ski Noob bringing family Skiing 2020

Options
  • 14-08-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Planning to bring my family of total beginners for a week skiing early 2020. Two kids of 14 and 16 the missus and me. The closest Ive been to a resort is a summer holiday in Austria 2 years ago and went up and down a few ski lifts.

So we will all need lessons and a resort that doesn't have too many black runs..I am thinking of taking the lads out of school maybe for the week as one is in transition and the other is in second year.

I am thinking I should get a package deal but I don't know who is good or bad or what I should be looking out for.

Anyway apart from me having to loose 4 or 5 stone by next January/February :p I am looking for some advice and recommendations.

Thanks in advance

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi all,

Planning to bring my family of total beginners for a week skiing early 2020. Two kids of 14 and 16 the missus and me. The closest Ive been to a resort is a summer holiday in Austria 2 years ago and went up and down a few ski lifts.

So we will all need lessons and a resort that doesn't have too many black runs..I am thinking of taking the lads out of school maybe for the week as one is in transition and the other is in second year.

I am thinking I should get a package deal but I don't know who is good or bad or what I should be looking out for.

Anyway apart from me having to loose 4 or 5 stone by next January/February :p I am looking for some advice and recommendations.

Thanks in advance

We did this back in January 2018. My Husband was the only one of us who had skied before and that was 15+ years previously. Our Kids were 11 & 8 at the time.

We didn't want to break the Bank but we also wanted a Package as it was our first time and we were clueless so we ended up using Crystal Ski and went to Claviere in Italy. We all loved it (well me not so much the skiing part!) and we would go back again.

It is not a fancy location (3 Star Hotel) but it was child-friendly and everything was included in the Price we paid which is what we wanted.

We had actually stayed just over the border in France the previous Summer so had been in Claviere before which helped.

Crystal were fantastic with the Kids. We did take the Kids out of school to go which we don't regret at all.

We bought Ski gear (Clothes etc)in Lidl/Aldi and Mountain Warehouse online. Brought Snow Boots for all of us and comfy Slippers for the Hotel.

I see that your Kids are in Secondary so Crystal Childcare won't be relevant !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Direct ski or Crystal are ideal and will sell you everything you need and point you in the right direction of where to go when you get there. They both do periodic deals like 2 for 1 lift passes which would save you 400-500. The cheaper resorts are generally the most beginner friendly but watch out for long commutes to the slopes or low dow areas with bad snow history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Rew, which resorts do you know that are low down areas or far from the slopes.

I’m hoping for aa ski package for next march - skied about 20 years ago so need beginner friendly - I’ll be doing the lessons, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Always found Austria to be good. Very beginner friendly and cheaper than France.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi all,

Planning to bring my family of total beginners for a week skiing early 2020. Two kids of 14 and 16 the missus

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Direct ski or Crystal are ideal and will sell you everything you need and point you in the right direction of where to go when you get there. They both do periodic deals like 2 for 1 lift passes which would save you 400-500. The cheaper resorts are generally the most beginner friendly but watch out for long commutes to the slopes or low dow areas with bad snow history

Yep, we got a deal with Crystal at the time - one child was free. Made it v budget friendly.
    Agree about the commute - we could walk in a couple of minutes to the Ski School. Very handy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would recommend Zell-am-See in Austria for a beginner family. Austrians are really friendly versions of Germans, bit like us compared to the English lol. It's also cheaper than Switz or France.

Cheapest would be Andorra in the France / Spain border, but it's a bit of a party town. Upside is it's easy and cheap to get good private lessons as they are state funded (and if you go with a tour operator, don't listen to anything they say regarding pre-booking).

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I'd recommend Les Menuires in 3 Valleys, France for a family holiday. Crystal do great deals. Good food. Short Transfer, good ski schools, Ski in / Ski out. Ive done both Austria and France and would always recommend France ahead of Austria for Families.... but deffo Austria for a "lads trip". Whatever you do.... spend a day in Kilternan or a few lessons for the kids in Ski Centre Sandyford in order to get the basics... even if they learn how to put on their boots it will make the holiday more enjoyable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Hi Eco-Mental

Did you book a trip? I went to Zell-am-See a few years ago with my wife and the lake had frozen over, It gave the whole place a winter wonderland vibe, but I think that this is not a regular occurrence.

We had a great week, the resort is not huge but is well laid out. Your pass may allow you to ski in Kaprun also, but I'm not sure that it is worth the bus ride.

One thing to note as you are beginners is that the "blue" run (no. 5a) down to the town is more of a red than a blue, but you can get the cable car down, there is even the option of storing your gear in the middle-station to avoid lugging it all the way to your accommodation.

Another resort, you might consider, which I think is great for beginners is St Johann in Tirol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

I am thinking of a trip like this too with my wife and 2 kids (12 & 16). I have skied before in Austria and loved it.
    The only problem is that my wife will not be able to ski so I need to find a resort that will keep her occupied during the day too. I was thinking of somewhere near Innsbruck or Salzburg so she can visit those cities.

Please advise where would be a good place for the scenario above. I guess somewhere safe, interesting with good beginner schools/slopes.
    I was going to do a DIY trip (book everything myself) but I might look at the package option too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I am thinking of a trip like this too with my wife and 2 kids (12 & 16). I have skied before in Austria and loved it.
    The only problem is that my wife will not be able to ski so I need to find a resort that will keep her occupied during the day too. I was thinking of somewhere near Innsbruck or Salzburg so she can visit those cities.

Please advise where would be a good place for the scenario above. I guess somewhere safe, interesting with good beginner schools/slopes.
    I was going to do a DIY trip (book everything myself) but I might look at the package option too.

Zell am see would tick most of the boxes there. The town is big enough with plenty for a non-skier (not sure if there's a week's worth but you could say that about any ski resort), it's about 1:20 from Salzburg. Beginner slopes and ski schools plenty. It's hilly so choose a ski to / from hotel.

Advertisement