Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather Warning : Heavy rain leading to spot flooding Sat 10-8-19

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

12mm in athenry last hour
    Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭zell12

km79 wrote: »
    12mm in athenry last hour Seriously
    ♪ Low lie the fields of athenry ♪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How no yellow warning for Galway and the County including Roscommon is beyond me looking at the radar it was epic rain in the City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Kutebride

No yellow warning for Galway... How?

My thoughts too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Seriously
    And 11.1mm at the university.

Good job we have one of the best radar systems in Europe so we could see all this rain heading for us...

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Seriously

Roads quite badly flooded and still coming down. Brightening up from the west though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Haven't had much rain here in Glasnevin yet. There's only been 1.2mm recorded since yesterday. Although it looks like that blob over Galway/Roscommon could be headed here later. It's also a cool, breezy day at 16.9C. The day's high was 18.8C, the third day that failed to reach 20 this month and the first day that failed to reach 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

13.1mm in Athenry in the hour up to 5pm. 2 hour total 24.9mm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some sun and cloud in West cork but really strong, stormy winds. Can't even open the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Few spitty showers in Lucan during the 4 hours I was on the golf course. Nothing especially heavy though. Wind was up alright. YR NO way off the mark as far as the predicted rainfall is concerned, met to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What is tomorrow supposed to be like? Today was kind of ruined for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What is tomorrow supposed to be like? Today was kind of ruined for me.
    169-1692213_cartoon-drawing-clip-art-sun-transprent-png-sun.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Wet evening in dingle after an ok day, very breezy and quick passing showers.
    Got washed out of it up home in s cavan, probably the biggest rain since August 2008.
    Bresser stations swowing almost 4 inches this week alone, mozt of it fell in the last 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Radar showing.... nothing in Donegal.

My eyes showing.....a flipping monsoon in NW Donegal anyway, for the last two hours!

Wish I had some figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Intense rain finished in Galway. Drizzly.
    Friend sent me pics with blue skies in Wexford. Windy in those parts she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

A lot of rain fell in cavan and north Meath Lots of flooding and impassible roads

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Radar showing.... nothing in Donegal.

My eyes showing.....a flipping monsoon in NW Donegal anyway, for the last two hours!

Wish I had some figures.

Use the netweather radar, it has a feed from Belfast I think so gets Donegal, either way it shows rain in NW Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

coconnellz wrote: »
    A lot of rain fell in cavan and north Meath Lots of flooding and impassible roads

That blob of rain just seems to be trying to move southeast but keeps hanging around Meath Louth etc. Keep thinking it's coming towards North Dublin all day but has held off pretty much. M1 earlier was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Kutebride wrote: »
    Intense rain finished in Galway. Drizzly.
    Friend sent me pics with blue skies in Wexford. Windy in those parts she said.

Just finished in the last half hour in Roscommon.
    Constant deluge from 2pm to 9pm.
    Flooded fields and roads.
    Estimate 50-60mm today.
    Surely that's yellow/Amber warning territory??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

That blob of rain just seems to be trying to move southeast but keeps hanging around Meath Louth etc.

Pretty much sums it up, had about an hour of dry weather around 11 or 12, but since then its been heavy rain, plenty of water lying on roads and in fields, we had a small basin outside and its between half and 3/4's full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still just very windy in West cork, lashing in the city according to siblings but it's at least dry down here (besides one or two drops). It has eased a bit but the sea is still crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate rain has arrived in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How no yellow warning for Galway and the County including Roscommon is beyond me looking at the radar it was epic rain in the City
    Because Galwegians are immune to yellow warnings through over exposure .. no point issuing them anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Just finished in the last half hour in Roscommon.
    Constant deluge from 2pm to 9pm.
    Flooded fields and roads.
    Estimate 50-60mm today.
    Surely that's yellow/Amber warning territory??

That amount would be red warning. I ran the radar and compared hourly rainfall amounts reported from Athenry (26 mm), Mountdillon (14 mm), Mullingar (24 mm), Ballyhaise (27 mm) and Dunsany (11 mm). (my totals of the relevant period in brackets -- most of the Athenry total was over two hours from 4 to 6 pm).

Where were you in relation to Mountdillon? Radar loop does seem to back up your estimate in some localized areas and I was surprised by the low totals from Mountdillon given the intense two-hour report from Athenry. Maybe the eventual daily total will be revised upward.

That amount would be red warning. I ran the radar and compared hourly rainfall amounts reported from Athenry (26 mm), Mountdillon (14 mm), Mullingar (24 mm), Ballyhaise (27 mm) and Dunsany (11 mm). (my totals of the relevant period in brackets -- most of the Athenry total was over two hours from 4 to 6 pm).

Where were you in relation to Mountdillon? Radar loop does seem to back up your estimate in some localized areas and I was surprised by the low totals from Mountdillon given the intense two-hour report from Athenry. Maybe the eventual daily total will be revised upward.

We're 60km East of Athenry and 60k South of My Dillon.
    I did notice from radar that Mt Dillon and Mullingar were on the fringes.
    I think there may still be a climatology station in Ballygar - its probably the closest to the areas that got the most rain.
    Edit: measured 50mm in a rudimentary guage (wheelbarrow!) here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

Neddyusa wrote: »
    We're 60km East of Athenry and 60k South of My Dillon.
    I did notice from radar that Mt Dillon and Mullingar were on the fringes.
    I think there may still be a climatology station in Ballygar - its probably the closest to the areas that got the most rain.
    Edit: measured 50mm in a rudimentary guage (wheelbarrow!) here

Wheelbarrows have sloped sides so unless you accounted for this in your calculations it would be less than 50mm.

My weather station is a bucket and its diameter at the top is more than that at the bottom so I account for that when determining actual rainfall.

jprboy wrote: »
    Wheelbarrows have sloped sides so unless you accounted for this in your calculations it would be less than 50mm.

My weather station is a bucket and its diameter at the top is less than that at the bottom so I account for that when determining actual rainfall.

That's right. Was 78mm of water. 50mm of rain when adjusted for area.
    Barrow leaking too so that's why I estimated 50-60
    Must get guage back working :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yesterday in North County Dublin (Balbriggan to be more exact) the rain was biblical. Been a long time since I saw that amount fall in a day. However when heading down to Croker along the M1 shortly after the Applegreen the roads were barely wet.

Today we were cycling between Julianstown and Duleek and the river Nanny has burst it banks and the two bridges that lead up to Bellewstown were very close to being breached. A lot of riders from the area said they have never seen the river that high before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

koutoubia wrote: »
    Yesterday in North County Dublin (Balbriggan to be more exact) the rain was biblical. Been a long time since I saw that amount fall in a day. However when heading down to Croker along the M1 shortly after the Applegreen the roads were barely wet.

Today we were cycling between Julianstown and Duleek and the river Nanny has burst it banks and the two bridges that lead up to Bellewstown were very close to being breached. A lot of riders from the area said they have never seen the river that high before.

There wasn't very much rain here in north Dublin city (Glasnevin) yesterday <4mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    There wasn't very much rain here in north Dublin city (Glasnevin) yesterday <4mm.

Yeah my son and I were discussing the possibility of the match been cancelled due to the amount of flooding and standing water in NCD obviously thinking that most of North Dublin would be getting something similar but as I said above barely 5km down the road and it was barely raining.

Advertisement