Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Etsy Free Postage Policy

• 29-07-2019 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I very gingerly opened a shop on Etsy a few months ago without having anything to sell yet and then this email arrives about the new policy. Some crafters on Youtube are closing their shops. Anyone here doing the same yet? What do you think of it, will it effect Etsy much? Is there any similar site in Europe that European crafters and artists can use instead? Other sites I've heard of in the UK limit their sellers to the UK only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

So far it only applies if you're shipping to the US, if you guarantee free postage on orders over $35, your shop will then be prioritised in the US search rankings. Hopefully it wont roll out for European sellers for a while. Personally I think it's a terrible policy and treats small hobby makers as if they're multinational corporations who can afford to subsidise shipping. On the other hand, etsy is well established and affordable way to sell your crafts and I dont know of any alternatives with the same recognition and reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Well if European crafters sell to the US, which a lot do, then they must offer free postage to get higher in the search results. It doesn't seem to be for home crafters any more. I'm disappointed to find I'm finished before I start but there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Advertisement