Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a boarding school teacher

• 29-07-2019 4:20pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hello! Our next guest is a teacher in a private boarding school in the UK and is here to answer your questions about the day to day function of the school and of teaching.
    I am a teacher that qualified in an Irish university, but have been working in UK private schools since then. I have worked in both day and boarding schools. At the moment, I work in a school that is considered to be a “British public school” in the traditional sense of the term, so for example, Eton, Harrow or Rugby etc. As well as teaching, I am also involved in the day to day running of boarding and co-curricular activities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

How do Irish Private/Boarding schools measure up to English counterparts? From what I've seen, Irish Private education looks great value compared to English fees but does your fee money go further over there in terms of Teacher quality, Facilities, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Do you feel the pupils look down on you ?
    Are the facilities worth the cash they pay or is it all about status
    What’s the worst sign of privilege you have witnessed
    What’s the best sign of privilege you have seen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Would you be on better money than teachers in public schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An Irish qualified teacher at a UK public school is going to be fairly easily identified and possibly doxxed IMO.
    May not be the wisest of career choices to have an AMA where the bulk of posters are likely going to be a little bit biased against the upper classes?

• Company Representative Posts: 29 Verified rep I'm a boarding school teacher, AMA

GavMan wrote: »
    How do Irish Private/Boarding schools measure up to English counterparts? From what I've seen, Irish Private education looks great value compared to English fees but does your fee money go further over there in terms of Teacher quality, Facilities, etc?

The main reason that UK fees are much greater is because they are "independent" schools, and as such, receive no funding from the UK Department of Education. Therefore, they have little to do with Ofstead and can follow their own curriculums, work towards the qualifications they want etc.

The majority of teachers in Irish private schools are paid for by the Department of Education and Skills, and so their salaries do not need to be factored into the fees.

From my experience, teacher quality is variable, and more money does not always get the best teachers. Although, in general, private schools in the UK tend to have the best pick. The facilities on offer at some of the schools really are top top notch, and much better than state schools in many cases. I do not have much experience with Irish private schools, but from what I have seen, some of their facilities are excellent as well.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 29 Verified rep I'm a boarding school teacher, AMA

Do you feel the pupils look down on you ?

In general, no. For the vast majority of the time, they are normal teenagers.
    Are the facilities worth the cash they pay or is it all about status

Depending on the school, some of the facilities are amazing. There is definitely a status element to it as well, but more so with top academic hothouses and boarding schools.
    What’s the worst sign of privilege you have witnessed

Money doesn't buy class, and if you are going to treat others badly, being privileged just gives you another means to do so.
    What’s the best sign of privilege you have seen

The formative years that people spend at boarding school can be the making of them, and some of them won't forget that. They will go out of their way to ensure that others have access to similar opportunities.

Would you be on better money than teachers in public schools?

Depends on the school. Some UK private schools will pay broadly in line with state schools but may have better holidays.

Others will pay significantly more than state schools.

banie01 wrote: »
    An Irish qualified teacher at a UK public school is going to be fairly easily identified and possibly doxxed IMO.
    May not be the wisest of career choices to have an AMA where the bulk of posters are likely going to be a little bit biased against the upper classes?

Irish qualified teachers are a dime a dozen over here, and I have worked with, or know of many others that work in similar schools.

Having said that, I wasn't planning on anything too controversial though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Who gave you your username? I think they may need to go back to school! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is your school single gender or mixed gender? Do you have an non teaching requirements as part of your role?

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »

I would like to point out that it wasn't me...It did make logging in slightly tricky as I was using "school" in the username :pac:

Is your school single gender or mixed gender? Do you have an non teaching requirements as part of your role?

My current school is single gender boarding school. All teaching staff are expected to provide commitment to co-curricular activities as well as pastoral support to students. As it is a boarding school, this will involve time in a boarding house outside of teaching hours, as well as working with students assigned to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

Have you encountered many parents that just send their kids to boarding school because they don't have the time for them/ want them out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Do the kids often sneak out at night? Is it a thing that you just accept happens and try to mitigate, or is it something which very very rarely happens and if caught, there are serious implications?

Did you move to the UK because of the job (More options, better opportunities/conditions etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Is sending children to boarding school, in the main, a cruel thing to do? 11 or 12 seems very young to be out of the house and essentially on your own.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I would like to point out that it wasn't me...It did make logging in slightly tricky as I was using "school" in the username :pac:
    Doh! That was me, I'll fix it now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This is an interesting one, I went to boarding school here from 12-18, so interesting to see what differences there are!

What age boarder do you have? I know some UK school board from a really young age, like 7.

How do you manage homesickness with the younger kids?

Is yours a weekly, monthly or term boarding school?

How many romances happen between teachers? I always remember hearing rumours and gossip about teachers being seen on dates in town on their evenings off from boarding duties!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I suppose you have to live in the school as well if it's a boarding school, do you? Or do you live nearby and take turns with other teachers to do the live in bit?

Would the pupils have much personal freedom in the school or is every hour of their day more or less accounted for?

Are there any compulsory sports? A friend's son was at an Irish boarding school for his teenage years and they all had to play rugby regardless of whether they liked it, hated it or were any good, it was just a rugby school, end of story.

N.96 wrote: »
    Have you encountered many parents that just send their kids to boarding school because they don't have the time for them/ want them out of the way?

There are lots of reasons why parents choose a boarding school for their children, but I am sure that this does happen as well. In some ways it may be more beneficial for the child to attend boarding school, rather than be ignored or neglected at home on a regular basis.

CPTM wrote: »
    Do the kids often sneak out at night? Is it a thing that you just accept happens and try to mitigate, or is it something which very very rarely happens and if caught, there are serious implications?

From my experience it rarely happens, or at least, has rarely been caught :pac:

There are measures in place that are used to prevent this situation happening, such as final checks on who is in the boarding house. Students will also not be able to leave/enter the house after a certain time.
    CPTM wrote: »
    Did you move to the UK because of the job (More options, better opportunities/conditions etc)?

When I was about to graduate in Ireland, the job prospects for teachers was pretty grim. I wanted to work full time and not have to rely on subbing to earn money and gain experience. There is a huge shortage of teachers in the UK, especially in the state sector, but also in certain subjects in private schools.

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Is sending children to boarding school, in the main, a cruel thing to do? 11 or 12 seems very young to be out of the house and essentially on your own.

There are prep schools in the UK that will have boarders from a much younger age that than as well.

I do think that some students will take to boarding more than others, and it has to be the right choice for the child and the parents. Having said that, these days, the majority of students will be in regular contact with their parents (WhatsApp, phone calls). A lot of parents will live within travel distance as well and will visit at the weekend. Students also go home every three to four weeks for a weekend.

I feel that it is more difficult for oversea boarders. They have to contend with a time difference, parents/family not being in the same country, and having to stay with a guardian instead of family at times.

There are people that look back on their time in boarding school and loathe it and have a sense of rejection from their parents. There are others, who absolutely thrive in the environment and cherish their memories there.

What age boarder do you have? I know some UK school board from a really young age, like 7.

13-18, which is the same as most senior boarding schools here, although some start at 11-18. Prep schools have younger boarders.
    How do you manage homesickness with the younger kids?

Most of the kids will have done some boarding before joining us. There is always a transition period when starting a new school. There are programmes and events throughout the first term to help the students settle in. Older students (prefects) will also have a role in helping iron out any difficulties, as will the boarding house staff. Trying to keep them busy and engaged so that they don't have time to focus on homesickness is important.
    Is yours a weekly, monthly or term boarding school?

It is a full 24/7 boarding school, but there are allocated weekends where the school is shut. That would happen maybe twice a term, and then there is the usual school holidays as well.
    How many romances happen between teachers? I always remember hearing rumours and gossip about teachers being seen on dates in town on their evenings off from boarding duties!

It certainly does happen, so possibly some truth to the gossip! Working in a boarding school can be a huge time commitment, and as such, dating a teacher that has similar time constraints may be helpful. Not to mention that you will end up with the same holidays. From my experience, I have seen teachers date teachers in the same staff room, teachers from other schools, and there are lots that do not date teachers either.

miamee wrote: »
    I suppose you have to live in the school as well if it's a boarding school, do you? Or do you live nearby and take turns with other teachers to do the live in bit?

There is usually a split between residential staff and staff that live locally. Some of the more remote boarding schools will have a higher percentage of staff living onsite. Staff that live locally will still be expected to do duties in a boarding house once a week. I live in the school, and so I am expected to do more duties in the boarding house. The benefit of this is free accommodation.
    Would the pupils have much personal freedom in the school or is every hour of their day more or less accounted for?

Every school will structure their day differently to suit their needs. I know in some schools the students will have lessons until after six o'clock in the evening. In general, depending on what they have signed up to, I would say that they will have a couple of hours a day of downtime for themselves.
    Are there any compulsory sports? A friend's son was at an Irish boarding school for his teenage years and they all had to play rugby regardless of whether they liked it, hated it or were any good, it was just a rugby school, end of story.

Rugby is a major aspect of a lot of UK public schools, as is compulsory sports. The variety of sport on offer has improved in recent times though, and there is something for everyone really. There will be sports at least two afternoons a week, and fixtures or other events at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Actually there's another question I was always curious about in school, how much privacy do YOU have as a live-in teacher? Like, anyone really could walk into our dorms, especially staff, and we couldn't really say no. Presumably it's different for staff bedrooms? Do you have to live by the same rules (ie in before main door lockup, no food in bedrooms, nothing permanent on the walls) as the students?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

GavMan wrote:

I went to both and the standards are world's apart. I was so happy moving to Ireland all those years ago, far more laid back! :)

Actually there's another question I was always curious about in school, how much privacy do YOU have as a live-in teacher? Like, anyone really could walk into our dorms, especially staff, and we couldn't really say no. Presumably it's different for staff bedrooms? Do you have to live by the same rules (ie in before main door lockup, no food in bedrooms, nothing permanent on the walls) as the students?

I can't speak for every school, but the accommodation provided for residential staff here is very good. It is a sizeable flat or house that is attached to the boarding house. I have a study that is connected to the boarding house and that students will knock on if I have the door closed.

The rest of the accommodation is mine to enjoy, and the students would not enter it unless invited to do so. There are no restrictions in relation to what can be put on the walls etc.

As for being away, or returning to the boarding house, it is expected that there is a minimum number of residential staff available during term time. If it is not my night to be on duty, there is no expectation that I am in the boarding house and I can come and go as I please.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Since you mentioned that the school is in the same tradition as Eton, I presume that the kids at your school all come from very well-off families? Are they all old money families where their older siblings, parent(s), grandparent(s) would have gone to the same school? Or is that a very old-fashioned view point?

Have you ever witnessed a crass display of wealth at school or are the kids limited in how much pocket money thay can have to spend in term time?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I live in the school, and so I am expected to do more duties in the boarding house. The benefit of this is free accommodation.

Where do you live when the school is closed during the holidays? Do you have to keep some of your things in storage or are you able to keep it all at your school accommodation?

Is bullying a bigger problem at boarding schools, as it is harder to escape the bullies if you all live together?

Since you mentioned that the school is in the same tradition as Eton, I presume that the kids at your school all come from very well-off families? Are they all old money families where their older siblings, parent(s), grandparent(s) would have gone to the same school? Or is that a very old-fashioned view point?

Have you ever witnessed a crass display of wealth at school or are the kids limited in how much pocket money thay can have to spend in term time?

I have worked at a private school that was a day school, which for schools like that would involve fees of around £14000 per year. There was a mix of wealthy professionals, as well as families that were definitely making a sacrifice to send their kids to a school like that.

Bigger boarding schools will have fees ranging up towards £40000 per year. From my experience, a lot of the families will be old money and their parents or grandparents will have attended the same school, or a similar type of school. That is not exclusive though, as boarding schools will offer bursaries and scholarships for lots of different reasons.

I am not saying that people don't make sacrifices for their kids to attend Eton/Harrow, but I suspect that they would be a minority. Being hard up for money due to spending £40000 per year on school fees, when there are cheaper alternatives doesn't make sense.

How much money the kids have depends on what they are given by parents. Some of them will have far too much for discretionary spending. Generally, the students aren't too crass, but when you dig deeper and look closely, money is rarely an object. Holidays are to exclusive resorts, they will have all the designer gear and tech going, and they will have multiple properties to reside in.

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »
    Where do you live when the school is closed during the holidays? Do you have to keep some of your things in storage or are you able to keep it all at your school accommodation?

Is bullying a bigger problem at boarding schools, as it is harder to escape the bullies if you all live together?

Residential staff can continue to live in school property during the holidays. The accommodation for staff is separate enough that this is possible. Some staff will have their own property that they relocate to. The boarding house is usually empty and refurbishments are made. Some schools will also rent out the boarding house for summer school, sports camps etc.

I suspect that bullying in a boarding school certainly limits the chance to escape from it. Depending on dorm arrangements, it can also continue long into the evening, whereas with a day school there is some respite at home. It is also not uncommon for residential staff to be dealing with bullying incidents in the evening, which does allow things to be tackled quickly and not left to fester. The advent of social media has resulted in cyberbullying, which follows all young people home these days. From my experience, I have not noticed a significant increase in bullying incidents at boarding schools compared to day schools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement