Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a bus driver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Have you ever reported a colleague or heard of drivers being reported over bad driving?

• Company Representative Posts: 42 Verified rep I'm a Bus Driver, AMA

Have you ever reported a colleague or heard of drivers being reported over bad driving?

I've never personally had cause to report such an incident.

However the advent of Social Media has ensured that such reportage is commonplace across all operators.

• Company Representative Posts: 42 Verified rep I'm a Bus Driver, AMA

Time,said Zebedee,for bed....g'nite all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Have you ever needed to pee in a plastic bottle or flask while out driving the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

What's the driver's cab like in this weather? I must say it looks fierce stuffy from the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is inspector considered a promotion and is it very competitive to get that job? You get a hat :cool: Or maybe most drivers are happy to stay in the cab and don’t want the role?

Ever deal with a lazy cow who won’t fold up her buggy and so the wheelchair user gets left at the stop? And yet when I moved to Dublin fadó fadó the buses had steps and mothers managed somehow ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Tow

I fear she now occupies a spot on the kerb outside St Peters Depot....:(

She used to complain to me that the manager of the Phibsborough Depot was a Communist. She is probably still on the phone to St Peter, telling him how to run things.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm late 20's, and have my medical for driving with a Dublin based company soon...is it worth it, in your opinion, before I make a career jump? (And yes, I do want it and have wanted it for a long time).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm late 20's, and have my medical for driving with a Dublin based company soon...is it worth it, in your opinion, before I make a career jump? (And yes, I do want it and have wanted it for a long time).

It's totally up to you and if you will be able to handle the stress and the public.....

It's in no way easy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

DO You have a bedside locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

Whats the strangest or wildest thing you've seen on your bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What is a busmans holiday really like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Do you get to choose your route? If so why would anyone have chosen the old 77 route? Or if it wasn't a choice did drivers kick up a storm on such routes as the 77

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Is it true that Dublin Bus drivers refer to passengers generically as 'skulls'?

How frequently do drivers start their route early so as to hit every stop before the time due, thereby having fewer passengers to deal with? I believe drivers have a term for this carry on: what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Do drivers get upset about passengers thanking/not thanking them as they're getting off? Or do they not care at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Collie D wrote: »
    What’s the strangest thing that’s ever been left on your bus?

Ever drive back to the depot to discover somebody asleep in the back row?

When you’re driving your own car do you subconsciously make extra allowances for manoeuvre like when you’re driving a bus...not sure if that makes sense?

Think you missed mine, OP..if you wouldn’t mind please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Are the bus drivers as militant as they appear? How are those that don't want to tread the NBRU line treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Envelope436

Which routes are considered the good ones to get?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

himu, do not post in the thread again unless it is to ask a question of your own. If you think you would like to do an AMA, you can read about how to apply here but do not hijack this one any further

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do Dublin Bus ever discipline their drivers that are reported for 'close passing' people that cycle in Dublin?

Do you know why so many drivers treat people that cycle with such little respect on public roads?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Is it difficult to navigate routes (like the quays for example) where you have to share space with bicycles, motorbikes and eScooters? I would imagine all the undertaking, weaving in and out of lanes etc. can be quite un-nerving

As ask this as a biker seeking to be a more considerate biker ;)

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do Dublin Bus ever discipline their drivers that are reported for 'close passing' people that cycle in Dublin?

Do you know why so many drivers treat people that cycle with such little respect on public roads?

Dublin bus drivers are highly trained and I find most and a high number at that give plenty of space....

The thing that's an issue is those that cycle up as the bus is turning or burst their way to get past as it's pulling in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The thing that's an issue is those that cycle up as the bus is turning or burst their way to get past as it's pulling in etc.

Also ones who try to squeeze their way into a narrow gap between a bus and the kerb or another vehicle. Saw a cyclist on college who literally allowed herself get trapped between in a narrrow gap between a bus and a luas.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Lads if ye want to talk about cyclists on the road, please take it to Cycling or Commuting & Transport, thanks. Otherwise, keep the questions for the bus driver coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Dublin bus drivers are highly trained and I find most and a high number at that give plenty of space....

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also ones who try to squeeze their way into a narrow gap between a bus and the kerb or another vehicle. Saw a cyclist on college who literally allowed herself get trapped between in a narrrow gap between a bus and a luas.

Nothing personal lads, and thanks for the imput, but I was asking the Bus driver..... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Without wishing to derail the thread you will simply never know if its for you until you try it for a year or two. Speaking as an ex bus driver.

Thread here about choosing it as a career https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993356

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Why are there so many bus drivers in Dublin from outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭threetrees

Is it stressful? Dealing with the public, traffic and money all at once?

Do you ever forget to announce a destination that someone has asked for? Eg for tourists? And if you go the wrong way (on a route variation) do you feel like a plonker when the passengers start telling you and you have to find a suitable spot to u turn?

greenspurs wrote: »
    Nothing personal lads, and thanks for the imput, but I was asking the Bus driver..... :rolleyes:

I was answering as one myself...

Yes that thing that went on on that route was nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Do the Wheels On The Bus go round and round, round and round, round and round?

Do The Wheels On The Bus go round and round, all day long?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement