Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2019

• 08-03-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭corm500

Got an invite to the launch on Wednesday, interestingly it states "Line up for Electric Picnic 2019 revealed PLUS a brand new summer festival!!!

"Festival Director Melvin Benn of Festival Republic will be on hand for soundbytes and questions. With Electric Picnic now fully sold out he will also announce initial details of a brand new festival taking place this summer. The stunning location of this new festival – brought to you by the Electric Picnic family - has never before been used and will provide the perfect backdrop to a new event on the summer festival calendar."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

corm500 wrote: »
    Got an invite to the launch on Wednesday, interestingly it states "Line up for Electric Picnic 2019 revealed PLUS a brand new summer festival!!!

That's a scoop and a half.

Were they not promoting a smaller folk/comedy fest last year or 2017 or am I mistaken?

Did it have the Lost Brothers involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting, wonder will they be going for the gap in the market for an Oxegen style festival with a new festival. Or set up a new smaller festival to rival All Together Now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

"Festival Director Melvin Benn of Festival Republic will be on hand for soundbytes and questions. With Electric Picnic now fully sold out he will also announce initial details of a brand new festival taking place this summer. The stunning location of this new festival – brought to you by the Electric Picnic family - has never before been used and will provide the perfect backdrop to a new event on the summer festival calendar."

Interesting , wonder would they do like Reading/Leeds style with two EP's but in different parts of the country?

Interesting , wonder would they do like Reading/Leeds style with two EP's but in different parts of the country?

i'd say more than likely a sister festival to Latitude UK around July.

Longitude was this before they strayed far from the origanal genres.

Seems ambitious to get a festival up and running by the summer but may have been in the works for a while. Will be interesting to see what it i and where it's gonna be

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems ambitious to get a festival up and running by the summer but may have been in the works for a while. Will be interesting to see what it i and where it's gonna be

Id say they will announce the new festival with a full line up in order to get to the tickets sold

Id say they will announce the new festival with a full line up in order to get to the tickets sold

Yeah guess they see demand with EP sold out since December. And ATN now lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

Very interesting

Yeah guess they see demand with EP sold out since December. And ATN now lately.

Just wonder what weekend will they do in the summer or what location? I was gonna say Dun Laoighaire since Madness announced a gig there(via a poster but no ticket info) but the fact Beatyard already have that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Something to screw ATN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭corm500

Just wonder what weekend will they do in the summer or what location? I was gonna say Dun Laoighaire since Madness announced a gig there(via a poster but no ticket info) but the fact Beatyard already have that location.

The blurb says a stunning location never before used. Somewhere on the west coast maybe?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Something to screw ATN.

If that is true they would have been better announcing it before ATN did their line up announcement or wait to launch it for next year.

Id love to see something more on the rockier side (not Download style) where the we get the likes of Strokes,Weezer,Franz Ferdinand etc

If that is true they would have been better announcing it before ATN did their line up announcement or wait to launch it for next year.

Id love to see something more on the rockier side (not Download style) where the we get the likes of Strokes,Weezer,Franz Ferdinand etc

There is definitely room for a more guitar based festival. Fingers crossed.

There is definitely room for a more guitar based festival. Fingers crossed.

Sadly im not gonna get my hopes up . I wonder would they go up against Forbidden Fruit on the Bank Hol weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

there's probably a market for a commercial dance festival later in the summer, given that Life festival is pretty popular and happens in May (and isn't quite fully mainstream pop dance).
    Creamfields UK is mid/late August, so maybe paired with that?

something like Download would be great too, always loads of heavier acts touring Europe every summer that are at Download/R&L/etc that never make it over here.

Yeah curious about that too.

New venue sounds like it has never been used before. Not sure about when maybe July to avoid clashing with BandS in June and ATN/Beatyard in August?

Gonna be a relatively quick turnaround from announcement to date anyways it seems

there's probably a market for a commercial dance festival later in the summer, given that Life festival is pretty popular and happens in May (and isn't quite fully mainstream pop dance).
    Creamfields UK is mid/late August, so maybe paired with that?

Thats what im afraid it will be .

Yeah curious about that too.

New venue sounds like it has never been used before. Not sure about when maybe July to avoid clashing with BandS in June and ATN/Beatyard in August?

Gonna be a relatively quick turnaround from announcement to date anyways it seems

I predict early July to tie in with Glasto/start of euro fest touring season.

Or late july to tie in with Latitude.

I'm going to guess it's going to be no more than 45min away from the capital.

Lets split up all the counties and check to see if planning permission has been sent it for any events ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Oxygen Classical

• Advertisement

Lets split up all the counties and check to see if planning permission has been sent it for any events ha

That's a good idea.

Would they have that in place more than a year out?

I'm assuming this is for a summer fest in 2020?

edit : Just read it's this summer, wow

Could very well be.

Think it has to be something more than an empty field if they're selling it as a ''stunning location/'' Thinking it will be something like ATN's location but can't think of where tbh

Could very well be.

Think it has to be something more than an empty field if they're selling it as a ''stunning location/'' Thinking it will be something like ATN's location but can't think of where tbh

True , so will probably be an estate or castle somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Corm said somewhere in the west coast, so it would have to be narrowed down to the counties Galway, Roscommon and Mayo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Corm said somewhere in the west coast, so it would have to be narrowed down to the counties Galway, Roscommon and Mayo.

He speculated, nothing concrete to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wow that is interesting news, has potential to be exciting or the exact opposite! Longitude seems to have the hip-hop market pretty sewn up. Probably will either be an all out dance music festival or a more indie/rock based festival considering EP and Longitude have had less of that music in recent years. Wonder what weekend it would be, surely end of summer if they haven't announced it yet.

Could this be it?

An application has been received on Thursday, 28th February 2019 in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council for the holding of an outdoor event at Dún Laoghaire Pier, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin

The application is for a proposed series of concerts to be held on Friday, 31st May 2019, Saturday, 1st June and Sunday 2nd June 2019

Could this be it?

An application has been received on Thursday, 28th February 2019 in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council for the holding of an outdoor event at Dún Laoghaire Pier, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin

The application is for a proposed series of concerts to be held on Friday, 31st May 2019, Saturday, 1st June and Sunday 2nd June 2019

Is that when Madness are playing?

edit : http://www.madness.co.uk/2019/02/20/day-races-places/

Is that when Madness are playing?

Playing Limerick the 31st and Waterford 2nd June so possibly. Don't think it's been officially announced yet if they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Could this be it?

Couldn't be:

"The stunning location of this new festival has never before been used"

Whereas Dun Laoghaire harbour definitely has been. Unless they're being really sneaky and meaning the East or West piers, but then I can't even imagine how they'd fit anything worthwhile onto either of those (and not have it be a health and safety nightmare).

Advertisement