Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2019, 20:21   #46
Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
We're not talking about the B8 chassis range, which includes the higher line B8R though, we're talking about the B8RLE which is designed to be a chassis for a low floor city bus. It's related to the B8R, but it's not the same and to try and suggest that they are one and the same couldn't be further from the truth.

The B8R does have a number of coaches built on it in the UK and Ireland including the Plaxton Leopard and the SC3 as well as the non low-entry version of the SB3. But the BE order is not built on this chassis, it is built on it's bus cousin, the B8RLE, unless Bus Eireann made a mistake in their internal docs.

Volvo B8R: https://www.volvobuses.co.uk/content...20brochure.pdf
Volvo B8RLE: https://www.volvobuses.co.uk/content...20brochure.pdf

Well that would be my worry as well, especially when they only are going to have a 280bhp engine, which is the standard spec engine that is fitted to the B8RLE chassis.
I very highly doubt we'd be getting such a small engine to do such high speeds with a small 250-280 liter fuel tank

It's just the chassis with something different being built around it, engines and other parts can be changed etc

All we can do is wait and see what actually arrives
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 20:33   #47
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime View Post
I very highly doubt we'd be getting such a small engine to do such high speeds with a small 250-280 liter fuel tank

It's just the chassis with something different being built around it, engines and other parts can be changed etc

All we can do is wait and see what actually arrives
Well it's going to be an 8 litre engine no matter what bhp engine you are going to put in there, since the B8RLE is designed around the Volvo 7.7 litre engine range, which is where the 8 comes from in the chassis name.

There is a 350bhp 7.7 litre engine option, however to my knowledge this has only ever been used on the B8RLE6x2 Tri-Axle chassis, which itself has only been used for the Plaxton Panther LE for Stagecoach which has only been out a very short while. It may well be able to be also used on the two axle B8RLE, but I believe it would be the first time this configuration has been specified.

If you're going to make quite a lot of customisations to a chassis, you have to ask the question of whether you are specifying the right chassis in the first place and if there is another chassis that would be a better option out of the box.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 20:38   #48
RuleNumber6

Quote:
We're not talking about the B8 chassis range, which includes the higher line B8R though, we're talking about the B8RLE which is designed to be a chassis for a low floor city bus. It's related to the B8R, but it's not the same and to try and suggest that they are one and the same couldn't be further from the truth.
True, I had forgotten these would be truly Low Entry. Either way, I have always found the B8RLE to be comfortable, hopefully this will be comparable to these coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime View Post

Fuel tank you could spec differently, however if you got a larger 11L engine on a B8RLE chassis... then it would be a B11RLE...
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 20:40   #49
Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Quote:
Well it's going to be an 8 litre engine no matter what bhp engine you are going to put in there, since the B8RLE is designed around the Volvo 7.7 litre engine range, which is where the 8 comes from in the chassis name.

There is a 350bhp 7.7 litre engine option, however to my knowledge this has only ever been used on the B8RLE6x2 Tri-Axle chassis, which itself has only been used for the Plaxton Panther LE for Stagecoach which has only been out a very short while. It may well be able to be also used on the two axle B8RLE, but I believe it would be the first time this configuration has been specified.

If you're going to make quite a lot of customisations to a chassis, you have to ask the question of whether you are specifying the right chassis in the first place and if there is another chassis that would be a better option out of the box.
Again, I'm not going to speculate on what we do get, but I'm going to sit tight and see what rolls in the gate.

I can't see these things only having small power (city bus / low speed) in a coach body for 100kmh.

Let's just wait and see, only a few months anyway if all goes to plan
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 20:47   #50
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuleNumber6 View Post
True, I had forgotten these would be truly Low Entry. Either way, I have always found the B8RLE to be comfortable, hopefully this will be comparable to these coaches.
I have to say that the B8RLE is a far superior chassis for a city bus, compared to the lightweight, integral stuff such as the StreetLite and the Enviro 200. They are like chalk and cheese if you ask me. However ultimately the B8RLE, as a proper chassis, is heavier and hungrier on fuel than the integrals.

For me though, building a coach on a bus chassis rather than a coach one is a similar move to going from a heavyweight, sturdy bus chassis to the likes of a StreetLite and integral Enviro 200. Both moves are ultimately designed to reduce costs, weight and save fuel over building a sturdy, well built vehicle, although at least with the B8RLE you do get accessibility benefits over the high line coach.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 21:08   #51

Quote:
I have to say that the B8RLE is a far superior chassis for a city bus, compared to the lightweight, integral stuff such as the StreetLite and the Enviro 200. They are like chalk and cheese if you ask me. However ultimately the B8RLE, as a proper chassis, is heavier and hungrier on fuel than the integrals.

For me though, building a coach on a bus chassis rather than a coach one is a similar move to going from a heavyweight, sturdy bus chassis to the likes of a StreetLite and integral Enviro 200. Both moves are ultimately designed to reduce costs, weight and save fuel over building a sturdy, well built vehicle, although at least with the B8RLE you do get accessibility benefits over the high line coach.
Would it not depend on the type of work they are doing they may be suitable for shorter distance commuter work rather than long distance intercity work.
03-01-2019, 21:32   #52
GM228

In relation to the recent post regarding the new buses chassis and engines, they will indeed be on the Volvo B8RLE chassis, with a SB5 body by Sunsundegui, but, a while back the following was published in Route One (which is a leading bus/coach industry news source):-

Quote:
A newcomer

The Panther LE is not to be the only low-entry vehicle suited to interurban work that will have a Volvo chassis, for the manufacturer has won a large order for a similar, albeit two-axle, product on the B8RLE chassis in conjunction with Sunsundegui.

With the SB5 body, the newcomer to right-hand drive will be 12.2m long and seat 45. It has a low-floor front section with space for a wheelchair user, and steps ahead of the rear axle leading to a high-floor rear.

That configuration may sound remarkably similar to Volvo’s existing urban offering in conjunction with MCV and Wrightbus, but the Sunsundegui-bodied product is a little different.

It is more tailored to longer-distance work, and offers a small amount of underfloor luggage space along with overhead racks. It also benefits from a power upgrade; the D8K engine is rated at 320bhp and coupled to a ZF EcoLife gearbox.

“Although the first batch of SB5s will be two-axle vehicles, the chassis layout is flexible and we could offer the product in tri-axle layout if a customer wished,” says Commercial Sales Director Phil Owen. “It’s possible to add coach elements to a bus body up to a point, but this is a coach built on a low-entry chassis.”

All of the thus far announced additions to Volvo’s range give what is undoubtedly by far the most extensive right-hand drive coach line-up. Most importantly for  buyers, investment in facilities means that it is well able to support all of those products.
Buses Magazine also recently reported a 12.2M body, is the 13.5M lenght reported by BE a mistake I wonder?
(2) thanks from:
03-01-2019, 22:01   #53
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
In relation to the recent post regarding the new buses chassis and engines, they will indeed be on the Volvo B8RLE chassis, with a SB5 body by Sunsundegui, but, a while back the following was published in Route One (which is a leading bus/coach industry news source):-

Buses Magazine also recently reported a 12.2M body, is the 13.5M lenght reported by BE a mistake I wonder?
The Bus Eireann magazine as shown up-thread suggests that it's an SB3, although it's not said explicitly,, plus as well as being a different length to what is being reported, the BE spec seems to feature 4 more seats, so it's possible it's a longer version, be curious as to what engine it has.
(2) thanks from:
03-01-2019, 22:18   #54
GM228

Quote:
The Bus Eireann magazine as shown up-thread suggests that it's an SB3, although it's not said explicitly,, plus as well as being a different length to what is being reported, the BE spec seems to feature 4 more seats, so it's possible it's a longer version, be curious as to what engine it has.
It says "based on" the SB3, the SB5 would appear to be a new body based on the SB3 especially as their is a prototype body, would there be a need for a prototype body if using the SB3 which is already established?

From the Buses Magazine:

Quote:
Plaxton hopes to conclude at least two other orders for this model, its first double deck coach in nearly 30 years.

It also bid to supply the Panter LE on two-axle B8RLEs to Bus Éireann, as did Wrightbus with a modified Eclipse 3 body, but that order for 52 vehicles has gone instead to Sunsundegui with a body it calls the SB5, a designation many Buses readers might associate more readily with a rather basic Bedford of 50 years ago.

Last edited by GM228; 03-01-2019 at 23:45.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-01-2019, 17:58   #55
roadmaster

Was driving inbound to dublin this evening on the m3 and seen a BE double decker parked up with the engine cover up and a service van behind it. I wonder will BE be happy to offer that bus to GHI
14-02-2019, 21:30   #56
GM228

BE have issued a tender for inspection and anti corrosion treatment of approximately 321 buses.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/pu.../publictenders

To be treated are double and single deck city buses and single deck coaches. No mention of double deck coaches so I'm guessing the 17 LD200s stored in Inchicore long term awaiting anti corrosion treatment are staying put.
Thanks from:
14-02-2019, 21:37   #57

Anyone have any idea what livery the buses on the GAI BE routes will be. Will be the same as the ex DB or BE Waterford routes or will it be something more like the livery the 139 has.
14-02-2019, 21:53   #58
GM228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Anyone have any idea what livery the buses on the GAI BE routes will be. Will be the same as the ex DB or BE Waterford routes or will it be something more like the livery the 139 has.
It is believed to be something like the 139/817/975 regional type livery.
14-02-2019, 22:08   #59
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
It is believed to be something like the 139/817/975 regional type livery.
Do the later two even have that livery? Haven't seen it, I know the 817 was in that livery for a while but it was removed.
15-02-2019, 08:58   #60
GM228

Quote:
Do the later two even have that livery? Haven't seen it, I know the 817 was in that livery for a while but it was removed.
I didn't realise the 817 lost that livery and I wonder why, only recently Wharton's have repainted two buses into that livery for the 975 at the request of the NTA.

Their Volvo B7RLE (ex BE??) they regularly used on the route and their Streetlite has the livery.

Edit: The Volvo is on their FB page:

https://facebook.com/174202564604615...=page_internal

And here's the Streetlite:

I think both (especially the Streetlite) wear the livery much better than the 817 version especially with the blue going the full height of the bus, it just didn't look right on the 817 IMO.

Last edited by GM228; 15-02-2019 at 09:14.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion