Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who do you put in?

Options
  • 13-08-2018 3:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Discussion at the weekend with a genealogist friend about whether unmarried partners go into the tree or not.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I haven't been putting in people (for example: a cousin's girlfriend, both people in their 20s). I don't necessarily consider it a permanent relationship. However, I would note under that individual "in relationship with XYZ" or if they were engaged, etc.

If there's children in the mix, then the unmarried partner of course goes in as the other parent, and if they did get married later, then that would be reflected in the tree.

What do others do?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I put them in if they are clearly committed to each other, been together a number of years, house bought etc., whether or not there are children.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Also, even though im not related, i would put any other children that my cousins partner may have had. I.e stepchildren of my relatives. I was told before that this was quite odd, but i dont think so.?

Interesting. Someone in my family does have step-children through his second wife. I've never met them and have just noted them under their mother's notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

spurious wrote: »
    I put them in if they are clearly committed to each other, been together a number of years, house bought etc., whether or not there are children.

Same here. I have two unmarried couples, one historic and the other more recent. It's easy to note in Excel but I don't think I can add them on my Ancestry tree. I also have Legacy but haven't used it enough yet to know if it has that option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My main tree is offline - I don't really put any living family up online except direct ancestors as a route to the real ancestors (i.e. parents, as I believe some people call them :D )

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

In geni.com, when you add "husband" or "wife" it gives you a choice between spouse, ex-spouse, partner, ex-partner, and fiancé. This information is recorded in the written details, including the pop-up for the individual. "Ex"es are connected by a dashed line instead of a solid line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

My rule is if they have a child they go in if not they're of no significance to my family tree, I would put in the spouse of a married relative if they had no family I probably should put in life partners but I tend to leave them out, i certainly wouldn't put in whoever they're latest boy/girlfriend is that would get way too messy

Advertisement